Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Marriott Hotel -- Shinagawa, Tokyo, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Marriott Hotel -- Shinagawa, Tokyo, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:33 pm

The new lounge, on the 26th floor, opens on Wednesday, November 29th. Breakfast will be there too, but apparently breakfast can still be had in the restaurant if you prefer.

Breakfast will remain in the ground floor restaurant. Coffee always available when lounge is open however.

Last edited by bigx0; Nov 28, 2017 at 8:10 am Reason: Corrected breakfast location
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Most posts up thread are still relevant and up to date; Only change is that health club is now free! Faint train noise inside room, not an issue for me.

On map, location seems very south of city, but not so. Convenient if using Haneda because it is closer. If using NRT, limo bus makes stop at hotel. NRT Express stops at Shinagawa. Easy.

Overall treated very, very well. Great value for 40,000 points!

Check in at EL on ground floor; Very formal, received letters, etc. Offered water and Espresso.
Welcome Gift of macaroon and welcome card at Room
Welcome Gift, Choice of Non Alcoholic Drink and Snack or 500 points. Took points since EL has drinks and snacks at all times.
Daily turn down service with a different small gift each night, Chocolates, etc
1 drink voucher for 2 drinks in lobby bar, anything on menu, had some fine Japanese sake and whisky ~$75
Upgrade to high floor, bay view, deluxe room, spacious and well appointed, ie, safe, minibar, robes and slippers, pijamas, small fridge, desk, etc and robot toilet
Access to Lounge for evening self serve happy hour, 4-7 choices of desserts, plus at least 15 choices of hot dishes, fried foods, cold cuts, cheese, etc. Small and no windows, but in my stay never overcrowded.
Full breakfast at restaurant, including egg station and Asian noodle dishes.
Free Spa access for gold and platinum . Large gym including outdoor tennis courts, dry sauna, hot tub. Dated, but very well maintained.
Free Schedule Shuttle access to Shinagawa Station, JR line, NRT Express,etc; If you choose to walk, 10 minutes, not too steep hill
Limousine Bus Stop, drop off and pick up at hotel lobby
2 bottles of water, replenished daily
Free wifi, very reliable and fast
Late 4pm Check Out
Building Complex has Bank ATM and Convenience Store on lower floor.
20% off coupon for food and drinks at restaurant

Location, south of city, but easy access to all transportation.
Cash stays incur a 10% service charge.

I look at the google map it suggested that it is 16 min walk to the train station. Can someone tell me what is the nearest train station from hotel?

any one stay post merger?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Shinagawa Station, take the shuttle bus if you have a lot of luggage if not take a walk...
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lingua101
I look at the google map it suggested that it is 16 min walk to the train station. Can someone tell me what is the nearest train station from hotel?

any one stay post merger?
Walking to the train station is easy - nice downhill stroll, even back to the hotel is a gentle upslope, very easy for most people, but if you have luggage, take the shuttle as suggested.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:28 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

OK sized room and location

Tokyo Marriott Hotel

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Tokyo Marriott Hotel

4-7-36 Kitashinagawa Shinagawa-ku Tokyo, JP 140-0001

OK sized room and location (11 Photos)

Tokyo Marriott Hotel

Hotel is located about 15 mins walk from the Shinagawa station next to a large office building.  There is a shuttle that runs between the hotel and Shinagawa station every day at different frequency and the airport limosine bus from Haneda airport (and I believe Narita) does stop at the hotel too.  Midway between the hotel and Shinagawa station, they have this "Ramen street" which has some good ramen shops and wel worth a try (or two).  Besides that, there are not much other interesting attractions.  

Check In

I arrived very early and was at the hotel before 7am.  As expected there was no one and I was helped immediately.  I was lucky (or maybe based on my status) managed to get a room that early.  No upgrade was provided (unless I waited until early afternoon for the room - but that was only to a higher floor) so I just accepted what I was available since it was just a 1 night stay.  I was also asked to choose my arrival gift which I requested to be delivered later that evening.  I was given a rundown of my Elite benefits at the hotel.  

Room

I was assigned a room on the 8th floor (out of the close to 20+ floor of the hotel) facing the railway tracks.  If the TV was no on, you could hear the trains passing by, but this was not a big bother to me - however it could be for those who are sensitive to noise.  It seems that after 10 pm and before 7am, the disturbance from the trains are close to zero.

The size of the room was OK, though still smaller compared to other Marriotts outside of Japan but much bigger than the average hotel rooms at other type of Japanese based brand hotels.

They had the usual coffee/tea making facilities available and a well stocked minibar.  

Internet speed was good -stable and sufficiently fast for normal browsing.

Bathroom size was ok with a bathtub.  Water pressure and temperature was good.  

The bed was I suspect a queen size bed, but it was comfortable and there was well positioned lighting and other controls by the bedside.  One item to note is that all plugs are Japanese plugs standard and there did not see to have be any USB charger available.  

Room temperature control was good and easy to use.  

bathroom.jpg1_Bedroom.jpgBedroom2.jpg4_Room2.jpg1_Room3.jpg

Executive Lounge

The hotel seems to have recently moved the Executive lounge from the 1st floor (same floor as the lobby) to the 24th floor which is a big improvement.  The previous lounge area was windowless and much smaller.  The new lounge area has much more seating and there is a nice view (~180deg) of the Shinagawa area down to Tokyo Bay ( you can see to the distance planes taking off from HND).

During the day, the lounge has small bites available (mainly M&M's, Kitkat, Shortbread cookies, etc.  In the evening, during the evening hors d'oeuvres hour, it is mainly small individual appetizers and desserts.

There was quite a number of staff in the lounge that did effectively clear the tables. 

Lounge access is by the key card - therefore they don't really request for your room number since it is limited access to the key card.

ExeLoung5.jpgExeLoung6.jpgExeLounge.jpgExLounge2.jpgExLounge3.jpgExlounge4.jpg

Breakfast

Breakfast is served in the main restaurant at the 1st floor.  No breakfast option at the lounge.  The breakfast area is not large, so there can be a possibility during certain hours the wait can be long.

Breakfast spread is good, with lots of options and eggs to order.  Service is ok, although maybe due to the pressure, they do sometimes tend to forget orders.  For example after settling in, I ordered Green tea, but this never appeared during the whole time.  I saw that this happened too at tables near me - the guests had to remind someone for their orders.

Also tables are placed quite close to each other, so for some this could be a not so nice experience.

Service

In general, service is OK especially for Japan.  However for hotel of this standard and especially in Japan, I would have expected much better service.  For example, in the morning after checking in and getting my request for my arrival gift for later delivery, this never arrived.  After waiting 30 mins after the requested time, I had to call to ask about it - I could have just ignored and bring it up the next day during check out.  When calling about it, I was informed that I had chosen the points instead of the choices and even after that, I had to wait about 20 mins before it arrived.

The other example of small service failure is the forgetting about customer orders during breakfast.

Overall

All in all, this hotel is OK.  I've noticed compared to my previous stays some good changes and some improvement area.  For the first time visitor to Tokyo, this hotel would not be the best property to use a the base due to the limited options from Shinagawa station (there is no Metro line, and with the JR lines, the stations might still be quite a walk to the attractions).  The hotel is close to Haneda is a plus point even as an airport hotel.  For me, I will only choose this property if the price is right and all my plans or destination is accessible within the JR or Keisei Line trains.

OK sized room and location

Would you like to write a review on the Tokyo Marriott Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Booked this hotel on points for early April as a backup in case Prince Gallery points stays stubborn in not providing access to lounge and breakfast to elites
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Forgot to post my latest review - this is my only hotel in Tokyo and after a number of stays over the past few years, I won't look anywhere else.

With a one night stay, I FINALLY got an upgrade to a true suite - a huge, glorious room with a dining area (perfect for eating my indulgences from Shinagawa Ecute), a big bedroom with two king beds pushed together, and a large bathroom with stand alone tub and separate shower. Being a one-night stay, and the front desk clerk witnessing the warm greeting and chitchat I had with one of the staff members, probably helped, but I'm glad it finally happened as it probably will never happen again with the new program.

I love the location with the station being a few minutes walk to the right, and my favorite grocery stores just down the street to the left, where I can stock up on forbidden Japanese delicacies to smuggle back home.

No breakfast this time as I needed to leave room for my amazing sushi lunch the concierge team booked for me at Sushi Taichi Ginza.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I would usually stay at the full service Marriott but the Courtyard is tempting me. The gym situation there seems better and the availability of sodas and bottled waters is nice. Is the gym at the Marriott still limited hours and do they still lack waters and sodas?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia
I would usually stay at the full service Marriott but the Courtyard is tempting me. The gym situation there seems better and the availability of sodas and bottled waters is nice. Is the gym at the Marriott still limited hours and do they still lack waters and sodas?
The fitness center is operated by a third party company and is not available 24hrs a day or late night. The lounge, if you're eligible to enter, offers unlimited bottled water and soda
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:38 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium

cannot comment on marriott but courtyard tokyo station has a fantastic "lounge" situation for plats in that it's unlimited full size appys (VERY good fish and chips, esp for the gf who needs a western meal or snack at least once a day) in their restaurant. they give you a menu and they even suggest giving triple or quad portions brought out at once as they're appy sized. super accommodating, they treat you like a customer like the other people paying very good money to dine at their restaurant (ground floor), and they don't even ask for your room number (just show the elite room key card or just show up as a non japanese looking weary). and the breakfast there was 100. amazing waffles, eggs, cheese, cold cuts, it was an amazing breakfast we loved and full service all the way. it's just that the location is corporate and you gotta walk 300m to get to the subway to get to wherever you wanna go so that's up to you.

dunno why you'd choose a place over water and soda, let alone a place like tokyo where there is a family mart and 711 every 100 meters (at most) no matter where you are. and they have as much chu hi and beer and water and juice and flavored beverages as you would want at any hour of the day. not to mention you only need one bottle of water for your entire trip as tokyo tap water is fine and it's acceptable even in 2019 to fill up your water from a bathroom tap of a hotel in japan. i mean, sealed bottled water from an evil company like nestle probably comes from 'worse' sources.

gym at courtyard tokyo station is adequate if you're like me and you can create your own little 5 set hiit routine out of weights, mats, and their bikes. it's small but it's fine. or if you like jogging the emperor's castle right nearby and that park is probably 2km long

don't stress. japan is easy.

Last edited by cur; Apr 7, 2019 at 2:49 am Reason: courtyard tokyo station not ginza
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
cur, thanks for the info. Do you recall the hours of the gym? Were there elliptical machines?

The "lounge" benefits do sound great at this property.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:36 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
cur, thanks for the info. Do you recall the hours of the gym? Were there elliptical machines?

The "lounge" benefits do sound great at this property.
24hrs. it's very small, one tread, one bike, one elliptical. the courtyard tokyo station is very small (bed against the wall), but we are talking japan not omaha. and i dunno it's not anything i really think about in japan. but i do notice a big room in japan/normal by usa standards.

looking at the marriott i think it's really mediocre. i'm just amazed the lounge doesn't charge for drinks. starwood-marriott merger really is a case of penelope cruz being forced to marry the well leveraged inbred. i'm just amazed this place is commanding the prices that it does compared to autograph and westin (albiet westin is not best located)

tokyo tap water is fine, and there is a family mart/711/lawson every block so why not just stock up on your bottled water and soda and pocari sweat needs there! but yes the courtyard is nice for the instant grab n go.
plus courtyard tokyo station, like any japanese hotel, is more than happy to provide cups of nice clear perfectly cubic ice
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:58 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I tried to use one of my Suite Night Awards on the Tokyo Marriott Hotel but the system wouldn't provide the option.
When contacting the hotel, I was informed that "Suite Night Awards are not applicable at our hotel". Does anyone know it an entire hotel (especially at the "Marriott" level) can simply opt out of this award scheme? Makes me wonder if selecting more suite night awards is a sound option.

HTB.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by htb
I tried to use one of my Suite Night Awards on the Tokyo Marriott Hotel but the system wouldn't provide the option.
When contacting the hotel, I was informed that "Suite Night Awards are not applicable at our hotel". Does anyone know it an entire hotel (especially at the "Marriott" level) can simply opt out of this award scheme? Makes me wonder if selecting more suite night awards is a sound option.

HTB.
This happened to me at 2 different properties in Japan. I emailed hotel, they gave me upgrade anyways. With current occupancy rates so low, you will probably get a suite.
If you don't want to select Suite Night Awards, you have an option to make a US$100 donation to UNICEF.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:06 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
This happened to me at 2 different properties in Japan. I emailed hotel, they gave me upgrade anyways. With current occupancy rates so low, you will probably get a suite.
If you don't want to select Suite Night Awards, you have an option to make a US$100 donation to UNICEF.
They wrote to me that my "request for upgrade" was attached to the reservation. I also had no doubt that they would give me a nice upgrade this time, and I got a room I'd describe as a nice Junior Suite on the 25th floor, their "Premier Floor".

I can understand if properties like the Moxy opt out of the Suite Night Awards -- as they don't really have anything in terms of upgrade to offer. But why would a Marriott do this? They can offer upgrade options and still decide whether they will actually give the upgrade to someone.

The Sheraton in Yokahama is more subtle: you can apply your Suite Night Awards, but the offered room type(s?) were not really exciting, so I didn't use my awards. In the end I was upgraded to that room type on their "Platinum Floor".

I feel that Bonvoy should make sure that hotels support this program better.

Short feedback from our stay so far:
- Check-in: the check-in desk was desserted. I had to wait for about a minute or two before someone accidentially stumbled out of the back-office. About another 2 minutes later the actual check-in staff returned.
- Upgrade (as Platinum): very satisfactory to a Junior suite (corner) on the 25th floor
- Lounge: relocated to the first floor to a window-less room next to the check-in area. The food offering are "a la carte" but not really impressive. Portions are extremely small, some of the hot food (chicken) rather cold, soaked hash browns, Chinese dumplings were actually glutinous rice in leaf wrapping.
- Breakfast: will be served in the restauraunt next to the lobby. UPDATE: one can choose between Western and Japanese style set menu, freshly pressed juices, and you're actively encouraged to re-order items you'd like more of. We really enjoyed breakfast.

HTB.

Last edited by htb; Apr 5, 2020 at 2:15 am Reason: Updated breakfast experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.