Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Grosvenor House (London, UK) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

Lobby renovation is complete. Executive lounge is on ground floor (not a M Lounge).
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Grosvenor House (London, UK) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
While I agree it's a bit lame, given the suite sells for $1,,000-$1,200/night (dif based on size of suite) on paid stays & he got it as a free upgrade, it's not the end of the world that HI didn't get a free minibar or 2 items pressed. But that's just my opinion.

Cheers.
If people were told that because they booked a first class flight with points, or upgraded with points they could not get champagne during the flight, there would be quite the outrage. I don't really see a difference between that, and this example.
Twickenham and krakendown like this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Just got back from a 4 night stay here, paid approx $500 USD per night for a suite since there were 3 of us.

Beautiful hotel, great location. We took UBER to/from LHR for about 35 pounds each way.

At check-in the manager (of some sort) came out to introduce himself. Room was nice and comfortable. No tub just a shower with 1/2 glass. No upgrade given but I believe hotel was fully booked (I did not ask for one.)

There was a roll-a-way bed in the living room. There was no charge listed at booking (I booked a room for 3 people), but a couple days prior to arrival I noticed a $75 charge for it on the online reservation. I mentioned it at check in and was told it would be removed.

Lounge was nice, good food and service. Enough for a full meal at dinner time, if you desire. Crowded at 6pm but thins out after that. I like the "runny" scrambled eggs for breakfast (that's how they are supposed to be), but my wife disagrees. Great pastries as well.

The concierge was helpful in getting tickets online for Westminster Abbey and answering a few basic questions.

1 day prior to checkout I asked at the front desk for a late checkout and they said they were fully booked, so they were unable to permit it. I then reminded them that I was Plat Prem and it was guaranteed, and we would be out by 2pm (checkout is noon.) They said "no problem."

one negative: if there was a turndown service, I never saw it.

We enjoyed our stay and would stay here again in the future.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
While I agree it's a bit lame, given the suite sells for $1,,000-$1,200/night (dif based on size of suite) on paid stays & he got it as a free upgrade, it's not the end of the world that HI didn't get a free minibar or 2 items pressed. But that's just my opinion.

Cheers.
It's really a "free upgrade" because I'm paying for the stay and presumably the suite night certificates have some value that Marriott International pays the property.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I've had good luck getting upgraded to this suite as a legacy PP under the pre 8/18 program but FWIW no one told me about the mini bar or pressing

And there was definitely turndown service. I believe that is one of the differences in brand standards between the JW and Marriott/Ren.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If people were told that because they booked a first class flight with points, or upgraded with points they could not get champagne during the flight, there would be quite the outrage. I don't really see a difference between that, and this example.
Fair enough.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The executive lounge is still very good, but the wine selection has definitely been downgraded. Basically $10–$12 bottles. Two whites (Chile and Australia), one Spanish sparkling wine, and one or two reds. Spirits available upon request..
I found my wine notes.

One merlot and one cabernet sauvignon, both Altoritas from Chile.

The chardonnay is Short Mile Bay from Australia while the sauvignon blanc is also Altoritas.

The sparking wine is Codorniu cava (Spanish).

All are under 10 British pounds per bottle. I counted 12 bottles of sparkling wine downed in 3 hours.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I've had good luck getting upgraded to this suite as a legacy PP under the pre 8/18 program but FWIW no one told me about the mini bar or pressing

And there was definitely turndown service. I believe that is one of the differences in brand standards between the JW and Marriott/Ren.
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Just got back from a 4 night stay here, paid approx $500 USD per night for a suite since there were 3 of us.

Beautiful hotel, great location.

one negative: if there was a turndown service, I never saw it.
I could be wrong, but I believe any British hotel calling itself four stars or higher has to have turndown service if they want the AA (British version of AAA rating). The issue is the turndown service is literally just taking the pillows and moving them from standing up to laying down. Also, turndown service is now by-request-only. Presumably, this is because of labor costs. At least one Marriott International-managed property in London now outsources housekeeping because of labor costs. By making it by-request-only you're probably eliminating 90% of the turndown services.

Previously, turndown service was a full housekeeping. New towels, new toiletries, new coffee or tea, a card with the following day's weather forecast, chocolate on the bed, and soft radio music among other others. Huge decline.

As for the suite, I wouldn't pay the published $1,000 or $1,200. I've had corner regular rooms here that are incredibly spacious. For a suite, there is no full-length mirror, no double vanity, almost no storage for your own toiletries (a huge issue if traveling with a wife or girlfriend), no drawers except for a couple in the closet, and only a bathtub with one of those handheld, makeshift showers. The renovation was lipstick as they never added electrical outlets. There's one USB outlet by the desk along with one North America electrical outlet. Other outlets, British or otherwise, are few and far between. Every light has its own switch. I don't know if it's because the previous owner was in bankruptcy, but the renovation is kind of disappointing. It was a huge opportunity to standardize rooms and floor plans. Some rooms have showers, some have bathtubs and I think some have both. It is very, very inconsistent.

Like I said earlier, I probably won't stay here again. Until a year or so ago, this was basically a Ritz-Carlton hotel calling itself a J.W. Marriott. No longer. I'd rather save money or points and stay at the Marriot Maida Vale then pay for a weak, 4-star hotel. The staff is great, but the service, amenities and room features are lagging all of the other five-star hotels.
krakendown likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I found my wine notes.
I counted 12 bottles of sparkling wine downed in 3 hours.
was that by you personally???

if so, nice job!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I found my wine notes.

One merlot and one cabernet sauvignon, both Altoritas from Chile.

The chardonnay is Short Mile Bay from Australia while the sauvignon blanc is also Altoritas.

The sparking wine is Codorniu cava (Spanish).

All are under 10 British pounds per bottle. I counted 12 bottles of sparkling wine downed in 3 hours.
You stayed in the exec lounge for 3 hours? Why? You're in London; get out & enjoy it. Perhaps because the lounge was going through a bottle of the sparkling wine every 15 minutes is why they switched from the better stuff.

Cheers.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:48 am
Suspended

I received a post-stay survey and completed it, raising my disappointment based on past experiences. The assistant hotel manager called me and apologized.

She said they haven't had many ambassadors since the new program launched -- I found that hard to believe -- and that they were still working out unique amenities for ambassador guests in the future. She said some of the ideas include complimentary mini-bar, wine tasting experiences, and room service breakfast.

She also apologized for housekeeping and the denial of privileges associated with my room. I think she was genuine that they are working this out so it will be interesting to read future reports.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:08 pm

I received a post-stay survey and completed it, raising my disappointment based on past experiences. The assistant hotel manager called me and apologized.

She said they haven't had many ambassadors since the new program launched -- I found that hard to believe -- and that they were still working out unique amenities for ambassador guests in the future. She said some of the ideas include complimentary mini-bar, wine tasting experiences, and room service breakfast.

She also apologized for housekeeping and the denial of privileges associated with my room. I think she was genuine that they are working this out so it will be interesting to read future reports.
Apparently that is something properties are now taking very seriously. After a recent stay at another Western European property I complained regarding some mishaps during my stay, and a couple of days later got a very apologetic reply from a manager. On the same survey I also rated the room service food with a 8 (out of 10) and the head chef sent me a separate email asking for my feedback and suggestions for improvement.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:54 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
I also rated the room service food with a 8 (out of 10) and the head chef sent me a separate email asking for my feedback and suggestions for improvement.
My understanding is that hotels are evaluated favorably for ratings of 9 or 10. If you liked a particular hard or soft element surveyed, an 8 doesn't cut it.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dayone
My understanding is that hotels are evaluated favorably for ratings of 9 or 10. If you liked a particular hard or soft element surveyed, an 8 doesn't cut it.
Of course, there's not much a property can do to fix flaws in the hard product after a renovation. I'm always amazed at how poor some guest rooms -- particularly bathrooms -- are designed. It's like the designer never stayed in a hotel. My biggest pet peeves, in no particular order:

1) Not being able to turn on the shower without getting wet.
2) Wash basins not deep enough to stop water from splashing back at you (a problem at the new, redesigned Marriott properties with a faux minimalist/modernist decor).
3) Multiple light switches instead of one central switch.
4) TVs in or on armoires and other stands that obstruct with the remote control.
5) Inadequate blackout curtains.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Yep, that was his reply. I had no idea. Hopefully this review protocol is now at cruise speed (first time I got the email after the merger) and we will be able to effect greater accountability regarding properties’ shortcomings. I remember reading somewhere Marriott’s payments to hotels are way more dependant on guest reviews than what was the practice with SPG.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:56 pm

Jw marriott grosvenor house london

How can I find the email address of the above hotel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.