Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bali, Indonesia

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bali, Indonesia

Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by sir-kwon
This is what I did. Hope it is helpful.

W Bali with 35% off = 65k = 5 nights = Garden view(???)

And contract to the hotel and got confirmed as following.

$90 / night ++ additional charge to get upgraded to 1bd pool villa.

Whoo hoo! Nice! $0.02 x 65K = 1300 = $260/night. + $90++ = ~ $360 which is about the price for high season room, and you got a Villa!
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Wait! Why was I charged $175, and you $90? Grr...
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Condition One
Wait! Why was I charged $175, and you $90? Grr...
I'm guessing it depends on the current capacity on the dates that he will be staying.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: SA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Since you lived there for so long, is Bali a place we'd want to rent a car to get around or better off taking shuttles/cabs? We rented a car last year on a trip to Thailand and had no trouble driving around Krabi, Khao Lak and Phuket.

Any experience with the Grand Hyatt?
I always hire a local driver with a car. There are many in Bali and they are much cheaper, safer and more convenient than taking a cab. Rates usually go for about $40 for 8 hours and includes gas. The hotel staff can help you hire one. I don't recommend you to rent a car without a driver.

Regarding the Grand Hyatt, I've stayed there a few times (but my favorite is Conrad which is nearby also). The Grand Hyatt is inside the Nusa Dua complex which has restaurants, a department store and an outdoor shopping area. (Don't eat there, go to Seminyak or Jimbaran instead)

I like their beach because it is shallow so you can walk far out. The rooms have a local theme dcor, and there are some villas with great ocean views. You will like it.

Last edited by guyinmotion; Sep 22, 2013 at 9:13 am
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sir-kwon
This is what I did. Hope it is helpful.

W Bali with 35% off = 65k = 5 nights = Garden view(???)

And contract to the hotel and got confirmed as following.

$90 / night ++ additional charge to get upgraded to 1bd pool villa.
Welcome to FT. I see this is your first post, more than three years after registering.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:14 pm

Which SPG property would everyone recommend for a foodie, adventurous couple with a 2 yr old? I was in Bali solo a week before the bombing and entertaining the idea of taking the wifey there for her birthday in Feb... We enjoy being pampered but definitely not the type that'd be holed up inside too long.

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
As I narrow down my choice taking into account cost, upgrade price (from emailing with the hotel management), location etc...it appears that I will have to choose between (price is about the same):

Le Mridien Bali Jimbaran
  • Room type: "Aqua Pool Sky Penthouse" - 2,648 sq ft / 246 m
  • Pros: Private pool on rooftop, view of ocean from room?,
  • Cons: Location bad? Beach bad?

Pictures from travelswithmyself's review here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-thread-4.html

View from room?

W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak
  • Room type: "Marvelous One Bedroom Pool Villa" - 2,422 sq ft / 225 m
  • Pros: Private pool, nicer property/better location than Le Mridien?
  • Cons: Room has no view, loud "club" type of environment?

Pictures from macdonaldj2's post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20571302-post24.html

As far as I can tell, neither property is very "Bali-like," each is pretty generic. Any insight?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:14 pm

Le Mridien Bali Jimbaran
  • Room type: "Aqua Pool Sky Penthouse" - 2,648 sq ft / 246 m
  • Pros: Private pool on rooftop, view of ocean from room?,
  • Cons: Location bad? Beach bad?
Location is not so good. Pretty far from main eating shopping spots.

Beach is across from a car park (marked by the arrow) and through the restaurants (I had to walk through a closed restaurant; not sure if there's a proper path).

I didn't like the sand.

My picture you chose with the view of the sea is from the rooftop chapel. Same height as the penthouse terrace so I suppose you will get something similar.

W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak
  • Room type: "Marvelous One Bedroom Pool Villa" - 2,422 sq ft / 225 m
  • Pros: Private pool, nicer property/better location than Le Mridien?
  • Cons: Room has no view, loud "club" type of environment?

Definitely better location. Beach also so-so. Lack of view - well you can go sit in the lobby easy chairs - can be lulled to sleep by the sound of the surf :P

Villas are situated away from the main building. No noise, quiet and secluded. Club-type feel comes from the beach bar house music, and the psychedelic lights in the lobby. Both of which are far far away.

As far as I can tell, neither property is very "Bali-like," each is pretty generic. Any insight?
Exactly right. Depends what you want and expect.

Since you mentioned beach, here are some pictures of those near SPG props:

The Nusa Dua beach shared by Westin & Laguna

The Kuta beach (and crowds) across the road from Sheraton

The Seminyak beach in front of the W

Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
Been to W Seminyak and LM Jimbaran this month.

I would say W is better overall (and so the higher prices), but be wary of the strong waves and noise at night.

I have some pictures on my review (still unfinished, apologies for that) of W for reference.

http://goodhotelreview.blogspot.sg/2...september.html
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
I didn't think much of the beach at Jimbaran. Lots of stones and not a place that I would be eager to go swimming. My personal view is the beach area has a dirty vibe to it. Saw rats in the planters 5 feet from where peeps were dining. Dining and drinking in the local shacks on the beach were almost priced on par with the LM.

Beach at Nusa Dua. When we were there you had to catch the tide at the right time or there was a long walk to be able to get into deep enough water to swim in. Not one of those beaches that everyone must see in their lifetime.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Toula
I didn't think much of the beach at Jimbaran. Lots of stones and not a place that I would be eager to go swimming. My personal view is the beach area has a dirty vibe to it. Saw rats in the planters 5 feet from where peeps were dining. Dining and drinking in the local shacks on the beach were almost priced on par with the LM.

Beach at Nusa Dua. When we were there you had to catch the tide at the right time or there was a long walk to be able to get into deep enough water to swim in. Not one of those beaches that everyone must see in their lifetime.
Totally agree on the beaches. We stayed at Nusa Dua a few weeks ago, and upon arriving (the first 5 nights were at Conrad) we were hugely disappointed: "we flew 25 hours for THIS?!" The beach by Westin/Laguna is vastly better than by Conrad, but still nothing to write home about. In Nusa Dua, I'd pick the Westin, where we had a remodeled oceanfront suite, over Laguna, Hyatt, and Conrad (where, despite the often positive reviews on this board, we had an abysmal experience). However, note that the latter have clubs, while the Starwoods give minimal benefits in addition to potential room upgrades. Generally, my advice would be to stay away from the chains in Bali, and rent a villa in Ubud or go for one of the top notch places. If you do want a chain, the best elite treatment by far is the IC, which for us (in 10-ish trips) has always gone above-and-beyond with an amazing club and upgrades to a huge oceanfront suite.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
Totally agree on the beaches. We stayed at Nusa Dua a few weeks ago, and upon arriving (the first 5 nights were at Conrad) we were hugely disappointed: "we flew 25 hours for THIS?!"
The beaches in Thailand and Malaysia are definitely better. I actually don't see what the fuss is about Bali, but a lot of people seem to like it :P. And yes, I prefer Ubud on the whole.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
The beaches in Thailand and Malaysia are definitely better. I actually don't see what the fuss is about Bali, but a lot of people seem to like it :P. And yes, I prefer Ubud on the whole.
Have to agree. We came away with the same impression, what is the big deal about Bali? We are unlikely to ever return, much prefer Thailand or Vietnam. When I compare the hotels in Bali to the Hyatt Danang with the gorgeous beach out front I think we would be crazy to ever choose Bali again. Agree with the Ubud comment as well. It's the place that seems to have the biggest variety of things to do. We rented a private villa and the experience was far superior to what a hotel offers.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
I'm planning to go to Bali for 3 nights in Jan after the SIN do (because I've never been and want to cross it off my list). I'll be travelling alone and just want to relax and see a bit of Bali. I don't want to spend exorbitant amounts of money or pts. I also like to sample different SPG properties. Currently have a BRG booked for 1st night at the Westin. I'll probably book my next 2 nights with points. Debating between 2nd night at Westin and 3rd night at Laguna Resort or 2nd night at Laguna Resort and 3rd night at Sheraton Kuta. WWYD?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: SA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
In all honesty, Bali is not known for their beaches but for the overall experience it offers to those who seek nature, great dinning and a fun party scene. And I'd have to agree with jpdxa... the beach by Westin/Hyatt is much better than the one by the Conrad. But then again, I go to Bali (been there 20+ times) because I find it to be a good balance between a relaxing tropical island and a good party scene. If it is a beautiful beach you seek, I recommend you guys (those US based) to head out to some of the islands in Caribbean. The beaches there are beautiful and much closer. For those based in Asia, I would recommend Malaysia. Their white sandy beaches are to die for!

Last edited by guyinmotion; Sep 24, 2013 at 6:48 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.