Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
I've always gotten great service there, the staff has gone above and beyond for me on all my stays there.
Maybe you guys are westerner (white) while im just a normal local guy (not wealthy ones).

Generally, all hotel employees in thailand tend to treat those westerners much better than the local guest, YMMV.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Platinum recognition
I think that pretty much everyone (especially the Plat. guests!) agrees on this one.
The Plat. perks depend on the management, but also on the ownership.

and also overall service should be improved immediately.
Where did you notice more issues?

- Restaurant
- Bar
- Front Desk
- Concierge
- Bellmen
- Housekeeping
- WhateverWhenever Hotline
- Gym / Pool
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:16 pm

Maybe you guys are westerner (white) while im just a normal local guy (not wealthy ones).

Generally, all hotel employees in thailand tend to treat those westerners much better than the local guest, YMMV.
I'm Asian American. Maybe they gave me better service because of my extremely fair skin.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UASPG
Where did you notice more issues?

- Restaurant
- Bar
- Front Desk
- Concierge
- Bellmen
- Housekeeping
- WhateverWhenever Hotline
- Gym / Pool
im sorry, i cant remember exactly where the flaw is. i just felt that the overall service here is far behind the level of service i got at Plaza athenee, SGS or even the westin. That's it.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
im sorry, i cant remember exactly where the flaw is. i just felt that the overall service here is far behind the level of service i got at Plaza athenee, SGS or even the westin. That's it.
I felt the same, and I similarly can't exactly put my finger on it. 5* Bangkok hotels tend to have particularly keen and helpful staff and it's not rare to see particularly helpful or innovative service delivered to you, but the W Bangkok had more of a "welcome to New York, now let me talk to someone else" feeling to it.

Difficult to quantify, sure, but I'm not sure that means it's not there.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
There is definitely another approach to the guests than in other hotels in Bangkok and it starts with the handshake instead of the wai.

They probably wanted a more modern staff/guest interaction style, but obviously, not everybody appreciates it. And it might not be well executed by all staff members.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
With so many other hotels in Bangkok offering 500pt + Breakfast and having a lounge as well, there's little reason for a platinum member to stay at the W.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by shevboyz
With so many other hotels in Bangkok offering 500pt + Breakfast and having a lounge as well, there's little reason for a platinum member to stay at the W.
The breakfast is quite good. The main reason to stay is that there are often good BRGs because they overprice themselves just like PA, ROS and to a lesser extent the Westin. I have stayed twice with a rate in the lower 3000 baht which compensates for the 500 point amenity and of the two times I stayed I asked for breakfast and they gave me the 500 points anyway.

Its not my favourite hotel but I like to split my stays in Bangkok to savour different areas and the hotel itself is nice enough. Not everyone wants to revolve their life around lounges and bars for evening drinks and snacks.
alanslegal likes this.

Last edited by geminidreams; Aug 24, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Not everyone wants to revolve their life around lounges and bars for evening drinks and snacks.
Rather condescending.

There is also breakfast, room amenities, upgrade percentages, miscellaneous benefits (e.g., laundry), service levels and public areas (e.g., swimming pool, spa, and gym).

But perhaps those aren't important to you either.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Rather condescending.

There is also breakfast, room amenities, upgrade percentages, miscellaneous benefits (e.g., laundry), service levels and public areas (e.g., swimming pool, spa, and gym).

But perhaps those aren't important to you either.
Its not condescending at all, if you are on tours or going out to dinner then happy hours and drinks are not so important. I would put the breakfast slightly behind PA and SGS and ahead of the rest. I have never had bad service in any of the BKK 5 stars, but I dont need a butler or a chat with a GM to make my stay worthwhile. I would rank their pool below PA and above the rest. I got a junior suite as one upgrade and used SNAs on my second stay for a Marvelous suite which was very nice. I dont sit in public areas but if I were to pick my least favourite it would be SGS.

The area they dont do well are the evening drinks/snacks. If that is what is most important then there are better options. If I can get a rate of 3300 which I have done on BRGs I have no problem staying there.
alanslegal likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Westin and Marriott Marquis can regularly be had at around 3000thb all in as well. With better benefits and generally perceived better location. This 2 are usually my go-to choices.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:35 am

Just wrapped up another stay at the W. Still my favorite hotel in Bangkok. Top notch service during my stay and plan to stay there again in the future.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
We recently stayed 4 nights at the W Bangkok and were quite impressed. The room was large, with very comfortable queen beds. The shower was delightful. Morning breakfast was abundant and tasty. It was not included in our rate. We met Bint Raksapakdee, the W welcome manager. We had a minor complaint and he could not have been more helpful. In the course of dealing with him, we also met Jirapha Krataithong, "Ji" for short, who is the director of rooms. These two made our stay and gave us the VIP treatment- all the way to the airport! For a lowly Gold Elite, I got a taste of how the true elite live!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Treatment of elites also varies based on the seasons you make your reservations.
If you stay during peak period, imagine you have 20-30 Plats checking in within a particular week, there is only so much suites that can be upgraded and on the house free bfasts to be assigned to.
And just to put yourself in the shoe of the check in staff, after seeing so many "VIPs" checked in, you will also probably be unfazed if your guest is a gold elite or plat premier w ambassador.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:58 pm

Appears this place does not have a lounge still, is that correct? What kind of benefits can one expect post merger (plat premiere)?

Is the location really that bad?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.