Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

Exec lounge renovation is complete. Access is elite+1. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Maximum of 2 guests per room for Lounge access. Ł80 charge for third adult and Ł40.00 for a child.

Swimming pool:

Adults: open 5:30am-11:00pm weekdays, last entry 10:15pm; 6:00am-11pm weekends, last entry 10:15pm

Children under the age of 16 may access the pool from 9am-7pm & must be accompanied by an adult
Print Wikipost

London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
Best London property for family of 4

Planning a trip for my family, 2 adults, two kids under 10. Prime considerations are availability of room for 4 on points (plus how much cash), location, exec lounge (and whether they'll let the kids in without charging for 2 additional people), and potential for an upgrade (knowing that upgrades accommodating 4 are not common).

Looks like County Hall and Grosvenor Square meet the general criteria, with about a 60-70 pound upgrade cost to get a "family" room for 4, which is essentially just two doubles. Both also have a lounge. CH doesn't seem to have upgraded rooms that take 4 (GS has a suite with sofabed that will take 4). I like the location of CH but it seems GS is OK as well.

Appreciate any thoughts or opinions on the above, and any thoughts on other properties. Note I'm using a 7-day Cat 9 cert from a travel package.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mwk190
Planning a trip for my family, 2 adults, two kids under 10. Prime considerations are availability of room for 4 on points (plus how much cash), location, exec lounge (and whether they'll let the kids in without charging for 2 additional people), and potential for an upgrade (knowing that upgrades accommodating 4 are not common).

Looks like County Hall and Grosvenor Square meet the general criteria, with about a 60-70 pound upgrade cost to get a "family" room for 4, which is essentially just two doubles. Both also have a lounge. CH doesn't seem to have upgraded rooms that take 4 (GS has a suite with sofabed that will take 4). I like the location of CH but it seems GS is OK as well.

Appreciate any thoughts or opinions on the above, and any thoughts on other properties. Note I'm using a 7-day Cat 9 cert from a travel package.
The food offerings at the Grosvenor House location are more extensive and will save your family a few bucks in a city where restaurants are expensive, even with a weaker British pound.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Just out of practical experience I would think that any of the balcony-suites at the CH would be no issue with two adults and two children - we had that twice as an upgrade when staying there, and in both instances our daughter had no problem using the sleeper sofa as her bed (we even got his set up by housekeeping).

So while it has a formal maximum occupancy of three I would not hesitate to have two kids in that room with me as there is enough space for all...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The food offerings at the Grosvenor House location are more extensive and will save your family a few bucks in a city where restaurants are expensive, even with a weaker British pound.
He mentioned Grosvenor Square, not JW/Grosvenor House. He may have meant JW/GH. I'm not sure GS has family rooms.

Originally Posted by djohannw
Just out of practical experience I would think that any of the balcony-suites at the CH would be no issue with two adults and two children - we had that twice as an upgrade when staying there, and in both instances our daughter had no problem using the sleeper sofa as her bed (we even got his set up by housekeeping).

So while it has a formal maximum occupancy of three I would not hesitate to have two kids in that room with me as there is enough space for all...

Greetings - Dirk
That's if he can get the upgrade to the balcony suite upgrade. The other thing we're waiting to hear on is - post lounge renovation - if CH is actually enforcing the newly instituted (expensive) additional adult & children charge to access the exec lounge.

Cheers.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by djohannw

Greetings - Dirk
Thanks for all of the replies. I did mean Grosvenor Square as the JW does not list any reasonable rooms allowing occupancy of 4. Many properties the only rooms for 4 are high-upgrade suites that are Cat 9 points plus 300+ pounds. GS does have a family room for 4 and also a 1 BR suite that shows it allows 4.

Regarding food I've read that perhaps the lounge at GS is better than CH, but as the CH lounge is recently re-opened perhaps that is no longer valid. I'd be hoping for some Diamond love to get the kids in- they eat relatively little although they still take up two chairs in what could be a crowded lounge. Thinking / hoping they +1 limitation is more intended for those buying a room with access.

I was eyeing the balcony suites as well, but assuming they won't allow the upgrade with 2 kids given my understanding of typically strict occupancy limits. The kids would certainly fit together on a sleeper sofa. Did you have just your daughter or two kids when you were upgraded?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Thanks for all of the replies. I did mean Grosvenor Square as the JW does not list any reasonable rooms allowing occupancy of 4. Many properties the only rooms for 4 are high-upgrade suites that are Cat 9 points plus 300+ pounds. GS does have a family room for 4 and also a 1 BR suite that shows it allows 4.

Regarding food I've read that perhaps the lounge at GS is better than CH, but as the CH lounge is recently re-opened perhaps that is no longer valid. I'd be hoping for some Diamond love to get the kids in- they eat relatively little although they still take up two chairs in what could be a crowded lounge. Thinking / hoping they +1 limitation is more intended for those buying a room with access.

I was eyeing the balcony suites as well, but assuming they won't allow the upgrade with 2 kids given my understanding of typically strict occupancy limits. The kids would certainly fit together on a sleeper sofa. Did you have just your daughter or two kids when you were upgraded?
Have you considered the Maida Vale Marriott? Cheaper. Recently renovated.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:13 pm

If we're going to get into comparisons amongst properties (not directed at anyone in particular), those discussions should go in the London family thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...n-england.html, which is for comparison of properties, vs. the property specific threads which is about well, a specific, property, such as this one about CH.

Cheers.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If we're going to get into comparisons amongst properties (not directed at anyone in particular), those discussions should go in the London family thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...n-england.html, which is for comparison of properties, vs. the property specific threads which is about well, a specific, property, such as this one about CH.

Cheers.
Staying in central London is one of my criteria, so combined with what I've already mentioned (especially reasonable quad occupancy), I'm really looking only for CH input with some comparison to GS.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
It was just my daughter, so we fit the three max occupancy limit, but I would not see how anybody would have enforced that if I wanted to, and there was more than enough space for a second child.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Excellent property

Checked in couple of days back for a week long stay. Excellent property and very welcoming staff. Front desk head blocked an upgrade for us and had our room ready when we checked in at 2. Upgraded to Junior suite as PP. very nice room and decent sized. Best option for family of 4 with two doubles. Lounge is average for this level of hotel while evening small bites were very well prepared and presented (even though we tried it one day only). Chef made something special to manage our vegetarian preference. Looking forward to rest of the stay. This was week long travel package for us.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:59 pm

Are they charging you for the kids? The website has hefty price tag for additional guests post-renovation, whether it be kids or adults. If no charge, do you think it's due to PP status?

Cheers.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
It was waived off for us and told that it was an exception. So, not sure of the regular process.
forgot to mention in my earlier post that they also had gifts for both the kids in the room (chocolates and toffees) which was nice touch.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bajaj_ash
It was waived off for us and told that it was an exception. So, not sure of the regular process.
forgot to mention in my earlier post that they also had gifts for both the kids in the room (chocolates and toffees) which was nice touch.
we'll be there this thursday for 3 nights. I hope they'll waive the fee for my 2 kids as we'd most likely only use it for breakfast. Hope to get an upgrade as a platinum member, although I booked the room with points from Chase.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I'm here now as a platinum member. No upgrade was offered or mentioned and none was available when I asked for our 4 night stay. She said I could check back and see if there was anything available. Haven't bothered yet, probably won't. So much to see and do in London, we've barely spent time in the room.

They are actively enforcing the lounge access. I was not given any wiggle room for breakfast for my two kids. I think they enforce it when there is food being offered. When we go to the lounge for drinks (until 9:30) after food service, they don't ask room numbers. When there is food being served, they've been asking room number and name.

Definitely not worth the 40 pound charge for kids to eat breakfast there. I'd be disappointed to pay $10 US for the offering. I was told I could also eat in the restaurant for 10 pounds per person. We haven't tried that yet, but probably won't either.

The location is great though. Convenient to the hop on bus tour. Would have been great to have a river view, but we have a pleasant view of the dirty laundry sitting outside, which is fine because we're hardly in the room. Staff is very friendly as well.

edit: oh and the lack of storage that a previous poster wrote about is a bit annoying. Family of 4 living out of a multiple suitcases is a bit of a pain.

Last edited by Chukiechz; Jun 17, 2017 at 8:06 am
Old Jun 17, 2017, 7:16 am

Thanks for the update. I'll adjust the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.