Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]

Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

Exec lounge renovation is complete. Access is elite+1. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Maximum of 2 guests per room for Lounge access. Ł80 charge for third adult and Ł40.00 for a child.

Swimming pool:

Adults: open 5:30am-11:00pm weekdays, last entry 10:15pm; 6:00am-11pm weekends, last entry 10:15pm

Children under the age of 16 may access the pool from 9am-7pm & must be accompanied by an adult
Print Wikipost

London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]

Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
This is what I currently have in the exec lounge sticky for County Hall. If someone has an update, would appreciate it.

* London / Marriott County Hall / hotel under renovation; temporary exec lounge; Breakfast moved to restaurant/Library Lounge & elite member plus one guest enforced: 12.50 GBP per kid and 25.00 per extra adult per day (don't know if enforced); Afternoon and evening food in temp lounge on ground floor/Leaders Bar still and long walk from the rooms. Seating is limited in this busy hotel; 09/16 update

Cheers.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Plat; MR LT Titanium; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
This is what I currently have in the exec lounge sticky for County Hall. If someone has an update, would appreciate it.

* London / Marriott County Hall / hotel under renovation; temporary exec lounge; Breakfast moved to restaurant/Library Lounge & elite member plus one guest enforced: 12.50 GBP per kid and 25.00 per extra adult per day (don't know if enforced); Afternoon and evening food in temp lounge on ground floor/Leaders Bar still and long walk from the rooms. Seating is limited in this busy hotel; 09/16 update

Cheers.
We've stayed at this hotel 4 or 5 times, and have never been charged for our daughter's breakfast. Most recent stay was September 2016 (daughter was 11 years old at the time), so things may have changed since then. They were still using the "temporary" lounge and breakfast arrangements. This has been the arrangement for years, however, so I'm wondering if this really is temporary. I like this arrangement better than the tiny lounge they used to use on one of the sleeping room floors. Breakfast in the library is a beautiful setting.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
So the temporary lounge is open weekends?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat; MR LT Titanium; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by huskerchad
So the temporary lounge is open weekends?
No, it is not, if I recall correctly.
Note that the breakfast area and the lounge are separate rooms, roughly across the hallway from each other.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:20 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I'm due there in a few weeks and rang about meeting facilities. Whilst on the phone I asked about the Exec lounge and they confirmed it has now reopened serving breakfast and evening canapés 7 days a week.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
I'm due there in a few weeks and rang about meeting facilities. Whilst on the phone I asked about the Exec lounge and they confirmed it has now reopened serving breakfast and evening canapés 7 days a week.
Thanks Bob. I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
How strict is this hotel enforcing the age of children in the lounge? My son is 13 and my daughter is 11 and not sure if it's worth it to spend the money for him to eat breakfast with us in the lounge.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:33 am

BrightlyBob did a detailed report on Marriott Insiders re: the new executive lounge (M Lounge). Many thanks to him for providing an update. He had a photo; there's at least one window w/ a pic of BigBen. See below for his input.

Something that could impact people who stay there is this is now listed on the property's website. We haven't had reports yet if the additional fees are actually being enforced.

From Marriott website:

Special Benefits

This room features M Club Lounge lounge access
Complimentary food:
- Continental breakfast
- hors d'oeuvres
Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages
Honor bar
Business services, for a fee
Continental Breakfast served between 06:30 - 10:30
Drinks & Canapes served 17:30 - 19:30
Use of computer and high speed internet included in the Exec lounge
Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Maximum of 2 guests per room for Lounge access. Ł80 charge for third adult and Ł40.00 for a child.

BrightlyBob's report on the lounge:

"And what's the lounge like? Newly remodelled and overlooking the Thames and Big Ben

It's a good size and wasn't overcrowded when I was there but am sure it could be.
Breakfast was very busy...

Hows the evening food? Plentiful This was unusual, a selection of small dishes bough to your table. First night was mini (2") pizza, Tuna salad and something mushroomy- all were single bite sized. Afterwards was a choice between a small peice of cheddar cheese and 2 water biscuits or (small) chocolate mousse. Second night was Pork Pie, Prawn salad and liver on tiny 2" toast. Dessert was cheesecake or blue cheese and 2 water biscuits, tasty but you'll not be filling up here!

Any free alcohol? Yes, bottles of Bud, Becks and wine served by attentive staff. Also a (strong and sour) cocktail. Very nice, served 17:30-21:30

What are the hours? Open 24 hours, service 06:30-10:30 and 17:30-21:30

And are they being meanies and closing the lounge at weekends? No, open 7 days per week here!

How about Gold/Plat breakfast? Typical Marriott lounge breakfast is on offer here which was a little disappointing, though there was omelette, sausages and bacon in the warmers. A small selection of breads, cereals and fruit also. For Ł10 you can upgrade to restaurant breakfast.

Upgrades? Yes, I reserved a standard room and was upgraded to a balcony suite. They go for Ł1000 a night - what an upgrade! It was great sat on balcony watching the London Eye go round and the crowds on Westminster Bridge.

Late Checkout? Yes, offered at checkin to 4pm

Comments... great hotel, super location, close to parliament and policyical London. Highly recommend for a first tourist visit, right in the thick of it! The lounge is very good, and certainly makes it into my top 10, lovely small-bites food and long alcohol hours

So, I'm sat in the exec lounge at the London Marriott County Hall and it's Fabulous - 5/5"
Old May 7, 2017, 10:53 am

BrightlyBob mentioned this on Insiders:

"Whilst staying at the County Hall lounge there was a dias outside that was manned each morning requesting room numbers and checking. Since I was there with my wife I wasn't asked about extra numbers but I get the feeling that would have been raised had I been walking in there with my kids. Both evenings the dias was unmanned and there were no checks on eligibility other than needing your key to get in. Both evenings there was plenty of tables available, both breakfast we took the last one."

Cheers.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

The renovations are very nice. A bit nicer than the renovated Marriott properties in the United States, but I think the offerings and services aren't as upscale as the old County Hall. The makeshift lounge -- renovations on the lounge were way behind schedule -- was pathetic, in my opinion. It was never noticed at reservation that the renovated lounge wasn't open. I even made a point to complain to the general manager, but they didn't care.

Yes, it's a beautiful old-looking building and, yes, it's within walking distance of everything touristy but the J.W. is much better, especially in terms of service and actually caring about its elite-level guests.
My partner and I just completed a five night stay at the London Marriott County Hall and enjoyed it very much. We were upgraded to Thames River view, and I thought the renovated rooms were lovely...very spacious, nicely furnished, and great lighting. My only complaint: No drawers in which to unpack clothes; so, everything had to stay in luggage.

The executive lounge on the fifth floor is great with very personal service. Breakfast in the morning is beautifully served, and complimentary wine, appetizers and dessert between 17:30 and 19:30 are elegantly presented.

The fitness room and 25 meter pool are comparable to an independent health club. The fitness area is on the fifth floor and the pool on the sixth.

We paid on average about 285 pounds/day, booked months in advance. We loved the location, sense of space, and the friendliness of all the staff.
Attached Images       
Old May 14, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by philwupdx

1. No drawers in which to unpack clothes; so, everything had to stay in luggage.

2. We paid on average about 285 pounds/day, booked months in advance.
1. That's a non-starter for me/enough to knock it off my list, especially on a stay that's more than a couple of days.

2. Was that the standard room rate? Probably explains the high % of awards stays.

Cheers.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by philwupdx
My partner and I just completed a five night stay at the London Marriott County Hall and enjoyed it very much. We were upgraded to Thames River view, and I thought the renovated rooms were lovely...very spacious, nicely furnished, and great lighting. My only complaint: No drawers in which to unpack clothes; so, everything had to stay in luggage.

The executive lounge on the fifth floor is great with very personal service. Breakfast in the morning is beautifully served, and complimentary wine, appetizers and dessert between 17:30 and 19:30 are elegantly presented.

The fitness room and 25 meter pool are comparable to an independent health club. The fitness area is on the fifth floor and the pool on the sixth.

We paid on average about 285 pounds/day, booked months in advance. We loved the location, sense of space, and the friendliness of all the staff.
One thing interesting about the Marriott County Hall is there is always one or two Americans working the front desk. I'm guessing they are Marriott manager trainees sent over from Marriottland back in the States.

It's not a bad hotel, but the service at the J.W. is much, much better. The J.W. is closer to a St. Regis or Ritz-Carlton in terms of service. For example, the County Hall doesn't provide turndown service despite room rates as high as the J.W.

The lounge offerings are far more extensive, too. I find the people-watching better there, too. County Hall is mostly American. The J.W. has a lot of rich Middle Easterns as well as diplomats. I've had the U.S. secretary of state on my floor twice before.

Personally, I think if you're looking for a bargain then the Marriott Maida Vale is a good fit price wise, both cash and award redemption.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:43 pm

Smile

The J.W. has a lot of rich Middle Easterns as well as diplomats. I've had the U.S. secretary of state on my floor twice before.
I think that may be exactly why I wouldn't want to stay at the JW! Maybe I'm being too proletariat!!
Old May 14, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
One thing interesting about the Marriott County Hall...
It's not a bad hotel, but the service at the J.W. is much, much better. The J.W. is closer to a St. Regis or Ritz-Carlton in terms of service. For example, the County Hall doesn't provide turndown service despite room rates as high as the J.W.
The lounge offerings are far more extensive, too...
Better service and lounge offerings versus views of Big Ben, Parliament and the Thames. You pays your money and takes your choice.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark
Better service and lounge offerings versus views of Big Ben, Parliament and the Thames. You pays your money and takes your choice.
The beauty of a large hotel company such as Marriott is the variety of properties that appeal to multiple interests and tastes! No matter what choice one makes, in a city like London it will be expensive!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.