Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Elite Benefits for 3rd Party Website Bookings ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Benefits for 3rd Party Website Bookings ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:54 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Marriott benefits on Priceline, etc. stays?

Prior to the merger, it was SPG policy to not honor any benefits to elites when staying at a property on a discounted rate like Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, etc. rates. But Marriott did continue to recognize elite benefits on such rates.

Has this changed? I don't see anything in the T&C that explicitly denies perks based on rate. But I may not have read it too closely.

I ask because there is an SPG property I had stayed at a few times(pre merger) and initially they were offering me benefits but then stopped, citing the Starwood policy.

If the new and improved MR program hasn't changed in this regard, is it conceivable that I go back to that SPG property and should expect benefits to be offered (platinum breakfast, late check out, etc.)?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's directly and amply covered in the T&Cs. https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#elite

'2.1.f Non-Qualifying Rates. A “Non-Qualifying Rate” is a rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which does not qualify to earn Points or Miles, as well as membership tier benefits. Non-Qualifying Rates are those booked using the following methods:

i. The guest room was booked through a tour operator, online travel channel or other third-party channel including, without limitation, expedia.com, hotwire.com, priceline.com, orbitz.com, booking.com, travelocity.com; '

4.1.c. Benefits of Elite membership apply to stays on Qualifying Rates (as described in Section 2.1.e.) and are reserved for Members only and apply solely to the one guest room in which the Elite Member stays.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's directly and amply covered in the T&Cs. https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#elite

'2.1.f Non-Qualifying Rates. A “Non-Qualifying Rate” is a rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which does not qualify to earn Points or Miles, as well as membership tier benefits. Non-Qualifying Rates are those booked using the following methods:

i. The guest room was booked through a tour operator, online travel channel or other third-party channel including, without limitation, expedia.com, hotwire.com, priceline.com, orbitz.com, booking.com, travelocity.com; '

4.1.c. Benefits of Elite membership apply to stays on Qualifying Rates (as described in Section 2.1.e.) and are reserved for Members only and apply solely to the one guest room in which the Elite Member stays.
Thanks! I was just looking at a travel package to Paris later this month. If I had benefits I was going to do the Marriott, but now... I have a feeling I will go with another option.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
I'm looking at Sheraton lake Buena vista resort. I can use 6,000 Chase Ultimate reward points per night or pay $90 through their portal, I will have to pay the resort fee directly to the hotel. Marriott website has a price of about $150. In the past because of elite status I would receive 50% off the parking and resort fee, saving about $20 a night. If I don't get the 50% off resort fee and parking still come out ahead booking through Chase portal. I an trying to talk myself into booking through Marriott, thinking it is worth the 6 nights credit I will get. I feel sad that I have lost faith in Marriott that I don't really value the elite benefits, at least not the "Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" that I found to be a sham.

Would you spend the extra $30 a night (six nights) just to receive credit for the stay?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dnkywhisperer
I'm looking at Sheraton lake Buena vista resort. I can use 6,000 Chase Ultimate reward points per night or pay $90 through their portal, I will have to pay the resort fee directly to the hotel. Marriott website has a price of about $150. In the past because of elite status I would receive 50% off the parking and resort fee, saving about $20 a night. If I don't get the 50% off resort fee and parking still come out ahead booking through Chase portal. I an trying to talk myself into booking through Marriott, thinking it is worth the 6 nights credit I will get. I feel sad that I have lost faith in Marriott that I don't really value the elite benefits, at least not the "Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" that I found to be a sham.

Would you spend the extra $30 a night (six nights) just to receive credit for the stay?
Yes, because you also get free wifi, PAG, etc, which you don't get through a portal. I don't need night credit, but I'm staying at a MAR property tomorrow where it was a toss-up btwn booking directly & the other. Price wasn't that huge (maybe $30 dif), but I get free breakfast, free enhanced wifi, late check out, upgrade, etc, & I earn points. No brainer for me. Realize you're at a resort so it's diff, but sit down & do the math beyond price to figure out if it makes sense for you.

Cheers.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by swag
When you book thru Expedia, you are still making a decision on what hotel to choose. If elite benefits won't be honored, I have no extra incentive to choose Marriott.

I always prefer to book directly, but there are times that can be much more expensive and LNF/BRG won't apply.
If you book through Expedia you’re not being loyal to the company. Marriott gets next to nothing on an OTA booking, especially if it doesn’t go through Marriott global distribution channels. To Marriott corporate it’s almost the same thing whether you book a Marriott affilliated property through a third-party channel or you book a non-affilliated hotel at all.

For most properties fhere may be a management fee or a franchising fee that is based on gross revenue, regardless of source. But at the end of the day a property will only want to hire Marriott’s services if Marriott demonstrates an ability to generate an above average volume of guest traffic. If most reservations are coming independently from expedia or booking.com, that management/franchising contract is probably not going to get renewed.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:46 am

Marriott still provides elite benefits on 3rd party bookings.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by zack14
no it doesn’t. although some properties may have no knowledge of the new rules.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:49 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Yes, because you also get free wifi, PAG, etc, which you don't get through a portal. I don't need night credit, but I'm staying at a MAR property tomorrow where it was a toss-up btwn booking directly & the other. Price wasn't that huge (maybe $30 dif), but I get free breakfast, free enhanced wifi, late check out, upgrade, etc, & I earn points. No brainer for me. Realize you're at a resort so it's diff, but sit down & do the math beyond price to figure out if it makes sense for you.

Cheers.
All the above plus one other consideration -- My experience is that it's much easier to deal directly with Marriott (and other hotels and airlines) for changes and/or cancellations. My son just ran into exactly this problem when trying to make some changes he should have been able to make easily but not with a third party reseller as opposed to dealing directly with the hotels and airlines. I can't quantify this but experience has convinced me that it's worth it to me to deal directly.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by BLG
All the above plus one other consideration -- My experience is that it's much easier to deal directly with Marriott (and other hotels and airlines) for changes and/or cancellations. My son just ran into exactly this problem when trying to make some changes he should have been able to make easily but not with a third party reseller as opposed to dealing directly with the hotels and airlines. I can't quantify this but experience has convinced me that it's worth it to me to deal directly.
Agree. I've been at front desk checking in when I've heard another Priceline/Expedia guest want to make changes & the property can't do it/has to redirect them to PL/Expedia. Like you, I think it's easier for the property if the guest has booked directly through MAR, because they can change dates, cancel w/o penalty (if they choose), adjust rate, etc.

Cheers.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by thebackcourse
That someone would feel entitled to the benefits of a LOYALTY program when not being loyal(booking through sources other than marriott directly) regardless of their excuses amazes me. Want to book with expedia, use their loyalty program.
How does an extra booking with Marriott through Expedia nullify 50+ nights per year booked directly with Marriott?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zack14
Nope.
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
no it doesn’t. although some properties may have no knowledge of the new rules.
Yep, expressly excluded in the T&C.
Originally Posted by barracuda93
How does an extra booking with Marriott through Expedia nullify 50+ nights per year booked directly with Marriott?
Per the T&C, that's how.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Per the T&C, that's how.
I was not arguing about the new T&C. Please look at the post which I have replied to. There is a logic to offer benefits regardless of booking way:

– status still has to be earned, and especially in Marriott it means huge spending; so the argument "oh where is loyalty here" is not legit;
– number of bookings via OTA done by elite members is supposedly very small anyway, since as long as BRG is in place, there are very few cases where booking via OTA would still make sense (even with all status benefits given, one is foregoing points on spending and night credit): perhaps occasional promos from Kaligo etc or redeeming account credit like Orbucks; consequently, it doesn't cost much for Marriott.

That's what I wanted to say. Of course it's up to Marriott to decide. And then up to us whether to stay with Marriott.

By the way, IHG Ambassador provides full status benefits on any paid stays. So there is a positive example.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Of course it's up to Marriott to decide.
And they already have. You think they "should" provide benefits on any booking. They think you should book through a Marriott channel because they make more money that way. Guess who wins?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:41 am

And they already have.
For the time-being. It may (or may not) change any moment.

You think they "should" provide benefits on any booking. They think you should book through a Marriott channel because they make more money that way. Guess who wins?
I did not say they should provide elite benefits on any booking. But it makes sense to provide, which was done in legacy Marriott program.

As for "winning", depends on definition. It's their program so they can make anything with it. But it doesn't mean any step they take will be a win in terms of profit (and bad publicity may affect profits as well).

I can only say for myself: no benefits on OTA booking means that in a rare case when I have to make a booking via OTA in a Marriott price-range, I will not book a Marriott anymore. Normally I will book directly anyway, and giving elite benefits on OTA bookings won't change that. Why would I forego points on spending even if lounge access and upgrade are honored? For any significant rate differences there is BRG. So Marriott wins nothing here. It loses, though just a few bookings a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.