Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
I noticed that the Marriott forum has quite a few "stickie" threads and that the number has been slowly growing over the years. Also, it seems most of the other hotel/airline forums have a "master" FAQ thread at the top of their forums.

So I thought it might be a good idea if we tried to put together a Marriott Master FAQ thread. I have started one below with some general topics (I admit that I looked at the Hilton and the Starwood FAQs to get some ideas.)

My thoughts are that people could chime in with suggestions on additions, topic areas, etc. Whatever anyone thinks would be helpful.

So don't be shy. Let me know your thoughts (even if you think I'm totally doing it wrong.)

Marriott and Starwood Merger Threads

Important Marriott Forum Member's Threads

Popular Hotel and City Master Threads

Marriott Elite levels, benefits, status
Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)
Can my spouse and I both get lounge guests?
2014 Status Buyback is back!
Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status
Platinum Premier level, 2016-present
Does Marriott match other programs' elite status?
"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Questions involving rollover nights
Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Platinum worth it?
Questions about "The Ultimate Guarantee"
Just Curious - Have you ever gotten, lost, and regained Platinum Premier
Official Upgrade Policy
Taking Advantage of Platinum Guaranteed Reservation
Platinum Premier Level, pre-2016
Can I get my Gold benefits if room is booked in another name?
Is Free Internet Available for Multiple Rooms?
Platinum redeeming points for someone else - upgrades?
Simultaneous Stays - Multiple Elite Nights?
Multiple Rooms Rules for Elites
Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Ritz Carlton Rewards Marriott Rewards Points Marriott Rewards Promotions/Bonus Opportunities Marriott/Ritz Carlton Credit Cards Marriott Program Comparisons with other Hotel Programs General Marriott Threads for FlyerTalk members
Print Wikipost

Marriott FAQ Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:35 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by willbbiddy
I assume these terms only apply at the respective hotel types and that I am eligible for a suite on my stay but wouldnt be if I were staying at a property under the Ritz umbrella right?
Correct. Elite benefits can be different between the different Marriott hotel brands. So it does make sense to spend a little time and read through what the benefits are for the brand you will be staying at.

But do note this doesn't mean you will get a suite upgrade when you stay at a Ren, just that it is possible. If this is a "traditional" US Ren, it may very likely only have a couple of suites. And if that is the case, don't get your hopes up for a suite upgrade.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:25 am
formerly willbbiddy

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Correct. Elite benefits can be different between the different Marriott hotel brands. So it does make sense to spend a little time and read through what the benefits are for the brand you will be staying at.

But do note this doesn't mean you will get a suite upgrade when you stay at a Ren, just that it is possible. If this is a "traditional" US Ren, it may very likely only have a couple of suites. And if that is the case, don't get your hopes up for a suite upgrade.
Ok, so the fact that I'm "technically" Ritz gold wont be any different there then it would be it it was marriott?

The only reason I'm hoping for a suite is because this hotel is right by where I'm taking the bar exam so it's likely to be booked up by people w/o any status and I'm hoping they'll want to clear standard rooms to book to day of people.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: -
Originally Posted by willbbiddy
Ok, so the fact that I'm "technically" Ritz gold wont be any different there then it would be it it was marriott?

The only reason I'm hoping for a suite is because this hotel is right by where I'm taking the bar exam so it's likely to be booked up by people w/o any status and I'm hoping they'll want to clear standard rooms to book to day of people.
Ritz Gold and Marriott Gold are identical except promotions (e.g. Ritz version of Megabonus, double elite night credits for Ritz member while staying at Ritz Properties by cash).

The chance of getting a suite upgrade is mostly determined by the actual number of suites available that night. Though there might be a large group of non-status people checking-in, the chance of having more available suites than G/P/PP members is very low. I'd suggest you to contact the hotel a day before arrival to see whether they could add a upgrade request note to your reservation.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:40 am
formerly willbbiddy

Originally Posted by Garroakul

Ritz Gold and Marriott Gold are identical except promotions (e.g. Ritz version of Megabonus, double elite night credits for Ritz member while staying at Ritz Properties by cash).

The chance of getting a suite upgrade is mostly determined by the actual number of suites available that night. Though there might be a large group of non-status people checking-in, the chance of having more available suites than G/P/PP members is very low. I'd suggest you to contact the hotel a day before arrival to see whether they could add a upgrade request note to your reservation.
Well in the end I got my upgrade. I always find that a smile and the flexibility to check in a different times is really helpful. Thanks for the info everyone.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:58 pm

planning to go to Hawaii,

given the same points requirement, what's the benefit of Marriott vs Marriott vacation club for a party of 2?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:37 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Alan Lun
given the same points requirement, what's the benefit of Marriott vs Marriott vacation club for a party of 2?
First, make sure the points requirements actually are the same. Since MVCI properties are timeshare, suite properties, quite often rooms will require some number of upgrade certificates on top of the base award.

Assuming you do find a studio award room for base award points, you'll probably find that MVCI properties may have a higher % of families (with lots of kids). I can say the last 2 times I've travelled to Hawaii and we brought the kids we stayed at 2-bedroom MVCI properties (Waiohai on Kauai and Ko Olina on Oahu). While most MVCI properties will have nice pools and kids activities, they won't necessarily have all the same amenities as a FS resort might. For example, you probably won't have a nice "high-end" restaurant onsite. Maybe if the MVCI is next to a Marriott Resort, you might be have access to some of those "resort" amenities. When we stayed at the Ocean Club on Aruba, we walked next door to the Marriott Stellaris Ruth's Chris for dinner one evening. And supposedly, we had access to the Stellaris' pool and other amenities as well though we didn't make use of those.

If your stay is after Aug. 18th and if your one of the "new" Marriott Plat or higher elite levels, you should get breakfast at a resort, but won't at an MVCI property. Normally, if its just my wife and I travelling, I'll tend to look more for a resort. If there will be more than just the 2 of us, then an MVCI property is a great alternative. Note earlier this year, we did a trip to Las Vegas and my daughter was coming with us. I almost went with the Cosmo (resort), but instead went with a 2-bedroom suite at the Marriott Grand Chateau. And that does bring up another possible benefit. We didn't have to pay for parking nor had a "resort" fee either.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
First, make sure the points requirements actually are the same. Since MVCI properties are timeshare, suite properties, quite often rooms will require some number of upgrade certificates on top of the base award.
Thanks, I have the Chase RC card so I believe I am RC Gold which maps to new Marriott Plat.
Thanks for the info, I have enough points to book up to a Tier 1-3 RC 7 night + flight package deal.

So just looking around to see where in Hawaii should I go.
I haven't even decided on an island.

But i'm thinking Maui or Oahu would be a good place to be for a 1st timer visiting Hawaii.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:44 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Is there some kind of perk or bonus when reaching 50 nights with Marriott, similar to Starwood's free night award at 50? I will finish the year with 100+ nights with Starwood so I will keep AMB100 status for next year regardless of my night count with Marriott. But I was wondering if it makes any difference whether I finish this year with 49 or 50 nights at Marriott legacy hotels.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Quick question, just to be sure... When booking 5 nights with points with the 5th night free, the stay still counts as 5 qualifying nights, right ?
Thank you
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Quick question, just to be sure... When booking 5 nights with points with the 5th night free, the stay still counts as 5 qualifying nights, right ?
Thank you
Yes.
Yul_voyager likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:11 am

Using spouse card with my account & card change for booking through shopping portal

Hi, sorry to bump such an old thread. I have multiple questions over different areas, so I wasn't sure which thread to post this on and just came to the master thread for Marriott Bonvoy. I ask the moderators to move the post to the appropriate thread if necessary.

My wife and I both have Bonvoy accounts; I am Platinum Elite, my wife is not.
We plan to stay at a hotel and want to enjoy Platinum Elite benefits (e.g., lounge access), so we booked the stay using my Bonvoy account.
My wife has recently opened a new credit card, and to achieve the spending requirement for the sign-up bonus, we used her new card for the booking.
In the process, we went through a shopping portal, which was offering a promotion at the time.

I have just learned that when the account holder does not match the cardholder, points for the stay may not be earned.
(I cannot post links yet, so am just listing the FlyerTalk thread numbers here: 1939360, 2061877)

As mentioned above, I would like to use the Platinum benefits, while using my wife's card for the sign-up bonus, while keeping the (now-ended) shopping portal promotion.

So my questions are as follows.
1. Can I earn points for the stay if I open an authorized user card for my wife's new card under my name, and use that for payment at checkin/checkout?
2. What happens to shopping portal offers when the payment method at time of booking (wife's card in this case) is different from the actual payment method (my AU card in this case)?

The second question is for a more general case; I have had multiple occasions where I used card A for booking, but changed my mind in the process and wanted to use card B at checkin/checkout.
I haven't actually tried this yet, thinking it may void the shopping portal offer for some reason.

Thank you in advance.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by flyingwithmiles
Hi, sorry to bump such an old thread. I have multiple questions over different areas, so I wasn't sure which thread to post this on and just came to the master thread for Marriott Bonvoy. I ask the moderators to move the post to the appropriate thread if necessary.

My wife and I both have Bonvoy accounts; I am Platinum Elite, my wife is not.
We plan to stay at a hotel and want to enjoy Platinum Elite benefits (e.g., lounge access), so we booked the stay using my Bonvoy account.
My wife has recently opened a new credit card, and to achieve the spending requirement for the sign-up bonus, we used her new card for the booking.
In the process, we went through a shopping portal, which was offering a promotion at the time.

I have just learned that when the account holder does not match the cardholder, points for the stay may not be earned.
(I cannot post links yet, so am just listing the FlyerTalk thread numbers here: 1939360, 2061877)

As mentioned above, I would like to use the Platinum benefits, while using my wife's card for the sign-up bonus, while keeping the (now-ended) shopping portal promotion.

So my questions are as follows.
1. Can I earn points for the stay if I open an authorized user card for my wife's new card under my name, and use that for payment at checkin/checkout?
2. What happens to shopping portal offers when the payment method at time of booking (wife's card in this case) is different from the actual payment method (my AU card in this case)?

The second question is for a more general case; I have had multiple occasions where I used card A for booking, but changed my mind in the process and wanted to use card B at checkin/checkout.
I haven't actually tried this yet, thinking it may void the shopping portal offer for some reason.

Thank you in advance.
1. The Bonvoy number that is associated with room will earn the points. So it will be your account and .you can use any credit card, cash or giftcards to pay and still get points.
. The credit card that is used will earn the 6x spend at Marriott. So even if you use your AU card, it will count toward your wife’s sign up bonus.
2. I don’t think it will matter for shopping portals as you don’t give use a credit card when making a reservation unless it’s prepaid.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 5:55 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Free night CC cert counts toward elite status?

Subject pretty much says it all--when I use my AmEx Bonvoy free night cert, will that count towards elite status?
Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by bob12403
Subject pretty much says it all--when I use my AmEx Bonvoy free night cert, will that count towards elite status?
Yes.
dgreen12, SPN Lifer and bob12403 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
1. The Bonvoy number that is associated with room will earn the points. So it will be your account and .you can use any credit card, cash or giftcards to pay and still get points.
. The credit card that is used will earn the 6x spend at Marriott. So even if you use your AU card, it will count toward your wife’s sign up bonus.
2. I don’t think it will matter for shopping portals as you don’t give use a credit card when making a reservation unless it’s prepaid.
Thanks for your reply.
Regarding 1., I do understand that I will be the one earning points for the stay, and my wife will be earning points for the card spending.
However, this was not my intended question; I guess I should have phrased it differently.

I am completely fine with the points (for the stay and the card spending) posting to either of us, since we can combine points anyway.
The two threads that I posted previously (sorry still can't post links, so please Google these numbers and "flyertalk" to read the threads: 1939360, 2061877) suggest that when the cardowner was different from the Bonvoy account holder, the points may not post at all.
I am inclined to think that the following terms were invoked:

2.1.a. A Member will earn:
i. Ten (10) base Points for each U.S. dollar, or the currency equivalent, that is incurred and paid for by the Member on Qualifying Charges
2.1.b. Qualifying Charges. “Qualifying Charges” are:
i. Charges incurred during a stay in a guest room at a Participating Property by a Member on their folio and up to two (2) additional guest rooms with same check-in and check-out dates, including, without limitation, charges for:
provided the Member provides his/her Membership Number at the time of reservation or at check-in, stays in one of the reserved guest rooms, and pays for the charges

I personally do not understand this regulation, especially since if the points are posted when we pay by cash or gift cards, as mentioned by YoungBubbie; how is this different from using someone else's card (who was staying in the room together)?
On the other hand, I haven't been able to search for additional cases where this was actually enforced (i.e., no points posted for account holder), so maybe those two incidents were the outstanding cases.

So my question remains: when two people are staying together, does it matter if the cardholder is different from the account owner? And can this be avoided using an AU card under the account owner name?

Also, thank you for your reply regarding shopping portals. I haven't prepaid anything, so I hope the bonus holds when I change the payment method to my new AU card (if necessary).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.