Old May 15, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
I noticed that the Marriott forum has quite a few "stickie" threads and that the number has been slowly growing over the years. Also, it seems most of the other hotel/airline forums have a "master" FAQ thread at the top of their forums.

So I thought it might be a good idea if we tried to put together a Marriott Master FAQ thread. I have started one below with some general topics (I admit that I looked at the Hilton and the Starwood FAQs to get some ideas.)

My thoughts are that people could chime in with suggestions on additions, topic areas, etc. Whatever anyone thinks would be helpful.

So don't be shy. Let me know your thoughts (even if you think I'm totally doing it wrong.)

Marriott and Starwood Merger Threads

Important Marriott Forum Member's Threads

Popular Hotel and City Master Threads

Marriott Elite levels, benefits, status
Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)
Can my spouse and I both get lounge guests?
2014 Status Buyback is back!
Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status
Platinum Premier level, 2016-present
Does Marriott match other programs' elite status?
"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Questions involving rollover nights
Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Platinum worth it?
Questions about "The Ultimate Guarantee"
Just Curious - Have you ever gotten, lost, and regained Platinum Premier
Official Upgrade Policy
Taking Advantage of Platinum Guaranteed Reservation
Platinum Premier Level, pre-2016
Can I get my Gold benefits if room is booked in another name?
Is Free Internet Available for Multiple Rooms?
Platinum redeeming points for someone else - upgrades?
Simultaneous Stays - Multiple Elite Nights?
Multiple Rooms Rules for Elites
Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Ritz Carlton Rewards Marriott Rewards Points Marriott Rewards Promotions/Bonus Opportunities Marriott/Ritz Carlton Credit Cards Marriott Program Comparisons with other Hotel Programs General Marriott Threads for FlyerTalk members
Print Wikipost

Marriott FAQ Master Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver, Hertz PC
Here's a noob question: I have a cert that expires on the 4th of Jan. Can I make a booking now for a room in March? IOW, do I need to make the reservation prior to the expiry date, or do I need to stay by the expiry date?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Need to stay by the expiry date.

Bruce
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:55 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Marriott's system will allow you to "link" a valid cert to a reservation even if that cert will expire before the actual stay. The problem is that when the cert expires, it will disappear from the system and leave the reservation without a valid cert. Then about a week before the actual stay, the system will automatically try to deduct the required points from your account to order and link another cert to your reservation.

If you don't have enough points, Marriot may try to contact you to see how you want to deal with the reservation (pay for more points, convert the reservation to a paid stay, etc.) If they can't get ahold of you, you might be on the hook for what ever cash rate the hotel wants to charge you (which might well be more expensive that you would want to pay. )

Of course if the cancellation date has past and you can't get a valid cert attached, you will be on the hook for the cancellation fee.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Did not see this above in the index and on the MR.com website cannot seem to find the answer....

I used all points to book a stay.....for the dinner charges to my room do I earn point whilst on a reward stay?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tasnam
I used all points to book a stay.....for the dinner charges to my room do I earn point whilst on a reward stay?
The answer is, it depends. And whether its a reward or paid stay doesn't matter.

The issue is 2 fold. Additional room charges can only generate points at a few of the Marriott chains (FS Marriotts, Rens, etc.). You can check the Marriott website which lists out the benefits you can receive at each chain. But none of the non-FS hotels allow points for the extra spend at the hotel, only for the rate.

The 2nd part is if you are at a hotel chain that does allow points for extra spend at the hotel, then it will depend on that hotel and whether the restaurant is actually considered a part of the hotel or is it owned by a 3rd part vendor that has an agree with the hotel for its restaurant. So some restaurants might not get you extra points. If it is a normal Marriott restaurant, then you are probably OK. If not, you might want to call the hotel and ask.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Really sorry should have given more detail:

Stayed at Marriott Vacation club in Phuket Thailand.

Room folio is generated from JW Marriott (next door where check-in is located - not that this matters at all).

PAID food on a credit card from my room folio - did NOT use points for the food bill.....

hope this helps.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:57 pm

I am pretty new to Marriott. Just recently got the Ritz-Carlton credit card, which gives Gold-level status. The Marriott webpage says Gold benefits include: Lounge Access/Free Breakfast - Free daily continental breakfast, light snacks and beverages for members and one guest in the Executive Lounge*. (* At JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance and Marriott Hotels)

In spite of this written assurance, Marriott, in reply to an email I sent them, wrote: "The breakfast amenity is offered within the United States and Canada only."

Which is correct?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:32 am
Original Poster

There is a breakfast guarantee for Gold/Plats worldwide, but I do believe it may be a bit different for different regions. And that may have confused the Marriott agent who replied to you.

The applicable T&Cs: " For JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance and Marriott Hotels in the U.S. and Canada: any time the Lounge isnt open, Platinum and Gold Elite members are entitled to a choice of continental breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points daily. In Europe, hotels without a lounge offer a choice of breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points daily. If Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge Access and complimentary continental breakfast is not offered, Elite Members will be compensated $100 USD for the inconvenience. Hotels outside the U.S. will pay the equivalent in local currency."

It looks like in NA Gold/Plats are only guaranteed a Continental breakfast, where in Europe you get a full breakfast. And I've never been to an Asia FS hotel where I didn't get a full breakfast.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:02 am

I didn't want to make a new thread for such a simple question, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

I will be staying in NYC at a Marriott property for the entire month of March (26 nights). I just opened a Rewards account so obviously I have zero nights. My company required me to book the entire 26 nights in one booking, but now I am wondering if I am going to get jipped out of 16 nights at the Silver level bonus.

Considering this is such a large outlay and so many nights, will the Front Desk be able to bump me up to Silver after the first 10 nights of the reservation so that I can accrue more points in the final 16? If so, will this automatically occur or do I need to nudge them along?

My gut instinct is that all of the nights won't post until after the reservation concludes and I pay the bill, but I stand to miss out on about 8,000 bonus points for those 16 "silver" nights

Thanks!!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:27 pm

I didn't know where to put this, but I was upgraded to Platinum for hosting my wedding at Ritz Carlton. Wedding is 2016 and the RC paid for my confirmed upgrade to Platinum for the calendar year. I'm only a Gold member via the RC CC.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by juuustin
I didn't want to make a new thread for such a simple question, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

I will be staying in NYC at a Marriott property for the entire month of March (26 nights). I just opened a Rewards account so obviously I have zero nights. My company required me to book the entire 26 nights in one booking, but now I am wondering if I am going to get jipped out of 16 nights at the Silver level bonus.

Considering this is such a large outlay and so many nights, will the Front Desk be able to bump me up to Silver after the first 10 nights of the reservation so that I can accrue more points in the final 16? If so, will this automatically occur or do I need to nudge them along?

My gut instinct is that all of the nights won't post until after the reservation concludes and I pay the bill, but I stand to miss out on about 8,000 bonus points for those 16 "silver" nights

Thanks!!
Can you change hotels throughout your stay? It is unlikely the hotel will recognize your change in membership on your 10th night. Moreover, I don't see them adding bonus points to your account after you meet the min to get to Silver as this is considered one stay. YMMV, but it could be worth a CS call to get some additional points.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
Hello all- Ultimate Marriott noob here... If I make a cash booking for a basic room on the Marriott website using a promotional rate, how do I go about upgrading my room with points? (I am sure this has been covered over and over, so a link to the relevant thread or post would also be appreciated.)
Also, do such upgrades book into a suite or the next room category?
Thanks so much for your help!!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately, the room upgrade certs are only usable on a points/awards reservation. So no paying cash for a room and using points for an upgrade.

It is possible to go the other way though. Say you have a points/award room, it is possible to use cash to upgrade that room (as well as possibly use the 5K room upgrade awards.)

As for your second question, a 5K room upgrade award is for the next room level up. So when you want to use them, it is very possible you might need more than 1 per night to get the upgrade you want. For example, a base award room at a beach resort might only get you an inland view room, but if you want an oceanfront room, you might need 3 or 4 upgrades (1 might get you mountain views, the second might get you Oceanview, and so on.)
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Do nights paid with points count toward elite nights?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
No.

Bruce

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.