Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist, Radisson Premium, BA Silver
Stayed for two nights last weekend, the first time at this property. I used the mobile check-in and it was very quick on arrival (and departure not using app). Given room on 30th floor and two cocktail vouchers for the WXYZ bar which is seemingly a new benefit. I didn't notice damp/musty smell in the room - I did notice that the cleaners left the shower door fully open so perhaps this makes a difference. Breakfast range and quality was good. Tuk-Tuk was available when I needed it and you can arrange pick-ip from a couple of locations via phone or WhatsApp although I did not use this. For the price (over B1,000 cheaper than any other Mar/SPG property for these dates) I think it is a good option.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
They now have changed the carpet in all rooms, so the smell is happily a thing of the past.

Cocktails has been on for months...it's a very welcome new amenity for a Aloft...and something they don't have to provide...but do!

Put it simply, for the price range, it's not bad at all. To compare, he GM at the 4P is a super star with Elite members....he is doing a super top job...so if Aloft want to keep up with them....they even have to keep the low rates (compare to 4P)....or make sure they up their game with Elite members.

If rates are in par with 4P, go for the 4P...if they are in the lower 2000b bracket, it's not a bad deal at all, and next door to Above Eleven....dinner will cost you way more than your room rate!
remymartin likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by maisondubonheur
If rates are in par with 4P, go for the 4P...if they are in the lower 2000b bracket, it's not a bad deal at all, and next door to Above Eleven....dinner will cost you way more than your room rate!
Just checked rates for randomly chosen Dec 7-9, The far superior CY - better area, quieter hotel, CL and breakfast in the nice restaurant included for P and higher - is only about $15 US more. Having stayed at all three there is no question which to pick. For that matter, the very nice Soi 57 and Queen's Park properties where most Ps get UG to very nice two room suites is only a few dollars more than the CY.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
They now have changed the carpet in all rooms, so the smell is happily a thing of the past.

Cocktails has been on for months...it's a very welcome new amenity for a Aloft...and something they don't have to provide...but do!

Put it simply, for the price range, it's not bad at all. To compare, he GM at the 4P is a super star with Elite members....he is doing a super top job...so if Aloft want to keep up with them....they even have to keep the low rates (compare to 4P)....or make sure they up their game with Elite members.

What do you get as Elite now in 4p?

Is the new amenities in Aloft is post merger?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:14 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Just checked rates for randomly chosen Dec 7-9, The far superior CY - better area, quieter hotel, CL and breakfast in the nice restaurant included for P and higher - is only about $15 US more. Having stayed at all three there is no question which to pick. For that matter, the very nice Soi 57 and Queen's Park properties where most Ps get UG to very nice two room suites is only a few dollars more than the CY.
I keep a spreadsheet of hotel prices for various dates that I target... looking at the last few months, for a sample of 10 different date ranges I end up with the following averages:
Aloft 2500 THB
4P 2900 THB
CY 3100 THB
ROS 3200 THB

In a city like Bangkok I just don't think it's worth saving a few dollars and pick Aloft and 4P. As much as I like to mix things up and try different hotels, I cannot get myself to book at those two hotels because at these prices it simply does not seem like a good deal to me. As @CJKatl mentioned, if you are Platinum you just pay $20 more and you get access to a lounge, better breakfast, and ROS even has good odds of suite upgrades. I have booked at Double Tree and Hyatt Place before, which could be compared to Aloft and 4P, but always on short stays when Hilton and Hyatt had good promos going on which made the net cost of my stays quite cheap. Given that Marriott does not have promos worth talking about these days, saving money to stay at Aloft does not sound like a good idea to me except if you absolutely need to stay in this exact specific location.

And speaking of Marriott Marquis, while the average is 3900 THB, I have seen it below 3000 THB on occasion depending on dates; at this price in my humble opinion it would be nuts to stay at Aloft for 2500 THB. If one does not have status at any hotel chain I can see if, but if Plat, then no way.

That said I have never stayed at Aloft so feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt...
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by escape4
I keep a spreadsheet of hotel prices for various dates that I target... .
I am also not a big fan of that Aloft but sometimes it is so much less expensive and I only need a hotel for one night after a midnight or later arrival.

Have you considered the Soi 57 Marriott? There have been great prices lately and frankly, regardless of price, it is my favorite Marriott family hotel in Bangkok. Plats almost always get an UG to a two room suite with an extra half bath, an outstanding main bath and incredible views.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CJKatl

Have you considered the Soi 57 Marriott? There have been great prices lately and frankly, regardless of price, it is my favorite Marriott family hotel in Bangkok. Plats almost always get an UG to a two room suite with an extra half bath, an outstanding main bath and incredible views.
I've heard this repeatedly and must add that I've never had anything of the sort. In fact the last time I stayed there, the day after an electrical fire, our AC went out three times when we tried to adjust it and the front desk didn't care. The res was in my +1's name, MR Gold, and they just couldn't care less that there was an electrical problem the day after the entire hotel was evacuated because of an electical fire. Additionally we were placed in a closet of a room.

Clearly you've been treated well but this is absolutely a YMMV situation.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I keep a spreadsheet of hotel prices for various dates that I target... looking at the last few months, for a sample of 10 different date ranges I end up with the following averages:
Aloft 2500 THB
4P 2900 THB
CY 3100 THB
ROS 3200 THB

In a city like Bangkok I just don't think it's worth saving a few dollars and pick Aloft and 4P. As much as I like to mix things up and try different hotels, I cannot get myself to book at those two hotels because at these prices it simply does not seem like a good deal to me. As @CJKatl mentioned, if you are Platinum you just pay $20 more and you get access to a lounge, better breakfast, and ROS even has good odds of suite upgrades. I have booked at Double Tree and Hyatt Place before, which could be compared to Aloft and 4P, but always on short stays when Hilton and Hyatt had good promos going on which made the net cost of my stays quite cheap. Given that Marriott does not have promos worth talking about these days, saving money to stay at Aloft does not sound like a good idea to me except if you absolutely need to stay in this exact specific location.

And speaking of Marriott Marquis, while the average is 3900 THB, I have seen it below 3000 THB on occasion depending on dates; at this price in my humble opinion it would be nuts to stay at Aloft for 2500 THB. If one does not have status at any hotel chain I can see if, but if Plat, then no way.

That said I have never stayed at Aloft so feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt...
But again it is personal preference. The reason why Aloft price may shoot up especially over the weekend, because there are many party animals booking the rooms. I ever see the rate at Aloft goes to 3000+. But personally if the price is about the same with 4P, I will definitly go with 4P. I will only book at this place if the price is below 2500.

I personally like 4P location as it is quite close to Terminal 21 and BTS/MRT and you can just go to Robinson via back door.

Courtyard has a lounge but I found the location is quite troublesome if you need to take BTS. Yes someone may like it as it is in very quite area.

I have to agree ROS maybe a good deal due to suite upgrade and lounge, but for me the location is very troublesome. So unless I can get it below 3000, I will give it a skip.

Again, it is really depend on personal preference
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by lingua101
Courtyard has a lounge but I found the location is quite troublesome if you need to take BTS. Yes someone may like it as it is in very quite area.
You are correct that the walk to either BTS station is longer than from other hotels, but if the time/distance is not an issue the sidewalks are wide, smooth and clear so the walk is easier than the walk from the JW to the train which is shorter but much more difficult. I often duck into Erawan Shrine on my walks to/from the train when staying at the CY or in the nice supermarket in the building on that corner. It does all boil down to preference.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:14 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks,
This thread is about the Aloft. Please take the discussion comparing various BKK properties to the appropriate thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...4-present.html

Thanks,
yosithezet
Co-Moderator, MSR Forum

Last edited by yosithezet; Nov 22, 2018 at 11:11 am
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:47 am

I truly appreciate the last few posts. Nothing bad to say we enjoy the Aloft when the price is right...meaning cheap. I'm one of those who think that if I do land in BKK at 11pm, cheap makes sense, and next day we make a move if we want to.

4P next door GM point of view. Well, I like his way of looking at it. He decided to treat guests in respect of the room they stay in...and adds advantages to the room type. So if you are a Plat and land a decent upgrade...you don't get benefits as a Plat, but rather attached to the room type you sleep in. Brillant way to deal with ....how should people be treated!

So a normal Plat upgrade will land you a room that give you acces to ....the welcome point amenities ( a joke today, but not a one decided by the property), free breakfast for 2, cocktails for one hour...which ever hour you prefer at their bar....some kind of laundry (don't remember the exact wording)...and as an Ambassador, last stay, got a drinkable bottle of red wine (that alone in BKK for a lower end property is just magic).

So yes, if Aloft is 2100b and 4P is 3900b...I go for Aloft....but if Aloft is around the 3000b mark, and I don't want to log to the ROS....4P is a super deal....and their team rock!
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:50 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I wish this were true. I spent a night in a room with terrible musty smell. It was a late arrival, so stupidly, I didnt go back to ask for a different room right away (I did the next morning). So these stinkers are definitely still out there, and if anyone ends up in them, do not think itll be ok, but rather ask for a new one right away.

I happened to be at the aloft on the weekend CJKatl picked for their price comparison above. My confirmed BRG rate was THB1630++. All other hotels were more than twice as much. I dont want to flame the fires of the OT which hotel to choose discussion, but Id say that in my (considerable) BRG experience, the BKK market has changed in that a few years ago, all Starwood hotels used to be easy to claim, so it was just a matter of picking which you liked best, and then claiming it at slightly-above-20% to 50+% off SPG rates. These days, many of the hotels are tougher to claim (or not at rates Im willing to pay, like SGS and SR). Rates vary like crazy, and the trick is to, when something good pops up on an OTA, file claims for all potential travel dates you can foresee. FWIW, I had four two-night stays in BKK this year three at ROS @1850++ pn and this one at the aloft.

Back to the aloft. Obviously, it doesnt have a lounge, and you wont get a suite. Location is of course always highly subjective, but IMO the aloft is worse than some of the hotels that have direct access to trains/covered walkways. I would say if you can get it under/around 2K baht, and other places are 50% more expensive, its a solid buy. The breakfast is quite good egg station, lots of hot and cold options dare I say, this place would be in the top 10% of breakfasts in the US for ALL brands. The rooms, if you avoid the smelly ones, are fine. And youll have a few thousand baht in your pocket to spend on other things. What I dont get is how BKK hotels are now categorized for points redemptions. Surely, nobody in their right mind would book the aloft as a Cat 3, when ROS, CY, and 4P are Cat 2.

One last thing I want to mention that I havent seen in this thread. Your24. When flying to BKK, I often have arrivals/departures at odd times, so the Plat++ benefit of requesting arrival/departure time is important to me. IME, this hotel is the worst, in that they ALWAYS deny requests. Ive tried probably two dozen times, and then after they reject the request, cancel and stay somewhere else. This time, there were no viable alternatives, so I asked at check-in. They had the gall to tell me that 4pm checkout is all they can do without charge, but that of course I could stay longer if I was willing to pay. Other hotels in BKK are quite willing to accommodate early checkin/late checkout/whatever requests, so if this benefit matters to you, dont pick the aloft.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:12 am

Anybody tried to use an SNA here?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Anybody tried to use an SNA here?
i used one here for a stay 5 years ago without a problem....but i tried again during a stay last year & was told they don't participate in the sna program anymore....so you can't use one here now....
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Aloft 2500 THB
4P 2900 THB
CY 3100 THB
ROS 3200 THB

I have to agree with you here. If we need to absolutely save money on room rates and cut everything else, we choose Accor's Mecure/Ibis or IHG Holiday Inn over Aloft/4 Points. It's funny because on the same street, there is a Mecure that is consistently 1500 THB per night.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.