Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:27 am

Some feedback :
- No problem at all to access the lounge with wife + 6 years old (both breakfast and "makis" from 5 to 7.30 pm
- Breakfast selection at the lounge is poor
- Afternoon finger foods is better / larger than expected and very decent
- Service in the lounge is good to very good (service in the hotel is poor to average, as usual)
- Breakfast at the lobby has very large selection (first time I see a buffet breakfast with dimsum in the US)
- Front desk was hesitating to give me a second white key and didn't insist much
- Another front desk agent told me that until 5 YO it's OK. I told her she's 6 and he replied she's 5. We started to joke as she'll never accept to be 5 )
- Got the 1000 points for sunday breakfast lounge closed (but open in the evening)
- Upgrade after asking at the front desk : asked for TS view and it was 2 double beds only. Asked for corner room and was provided a room at the 38th floor.
(facing TS but limited view as we're too high). Also corner room is a little dark as there is only one window and the room is long
- Asked for 3 pm late check out on the app (but when I called to reconfirm night prior departure they were not aware...)
An OK stay. I'll probably be back as the location is great (love TS), rooms are large (larger than FS and much larger than MO).
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bennos
Honestly, the Marquis lounge isn't in my list of top domestic lounges. So many better places for food, drink, and views in the city...
I agreed. Is a poor excuse for a lounge. Offering mediocre and typically crowded. And on top of that, is a long walk from the elevators. I found the JW Essex property's lounge to be may times better than this one. Rates can be comparable if you look hard.

And don't get me started on the fuzzy logic used to bring the elevator to your floor.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I've just booked up to stay here courtesy of points next summer. Can someone who has been there recently, explain what you get for the $25 destination fee as I was struggling to get any information on the hotel website.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by nequine
I've just booked up to stay here courtesy of points next summer. Can someone who has been there recently, explain what you get for the $25 destination fee as I was struggling to get any information on the hotel website.
Suggestion: since the website isn't terribly clear, you could call them and ask and then post here, 'tho it will be likely be an international call for you.

David
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Heres what I could dig up:

Please note - US25 daily destination fee added to room rate includes US15 Fresh Bites credit/enhanced Internet/1 tour ticket and more.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by United747

Heres what I could dig up:

I can't give you a direct answer, but since you have Gold status, there is probably very little value in it for you in exchange for the $25.00.

I looked at all of the FS properties in mid-town for a five night stay in May, and decided on the Essex House where there is no destination fee. (The Platinum benefits are probably similar.) I should add that my wife is a member of an audition choir that will be performing at Carnegie Hall over this time, and the safe CPS location helps.
nequine likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: LTP, PP
The good feeling one gets from donating pure profit to their bottom line! And an invitation to throw more money away trying to use up a Fresh Bites credit daily. Some state attorney general needs to step in and take a stand for the consumer.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Here's a response I got from the Marriott Marquis on Facebook when I asked about the "Destination Fee":

Our Daily Destination fee includes thoughtful upgrades designed to enhance your stay in New York City. The is $25 plus tax per day. The daily offerings include:
• $15 Food Credit to Fresh Bites*
• Enhanced Internet and Local/Long Distance Calls
• NYC Downtown Loop or Cruise Ticket (1 per day). See City Experts on 8th floor to redeem
• Cycle Class at CYC Fitness (1 per day). See Concierge on 8th floor to redeem

It's a total cash-grab. How is this legal?
nequine and rt23456p like this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
That fee includes the internet that is complimentary for gold and higher elite members. Most people won’t redeem the last two items. If they wanted to be elite friendly, they would take out the internet fee from the fee for gold and higher elite members. Of course, that won’t happen since they probably have a large percent of their customer base being at least gold.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:15 am

If this is the first time you are seeing a resort fee or other such charge that pays for items you would think are included you havent been traveling much. Its the
norm unfortunately and many such fees are a multiple of $25 at higher end resorts. Its obnoxious and it should be illegal but its not. At least today it seems to be disclosed when you book. However whats worse is they can increase the fee after you book without notice and you are stuck with the higher fee.

At least there is a possibility you can get $25 in value
from this fee. The $15 food credit is real and cyc fitness classes are very popular and pricey so if you
actually do the class thats worth at least $25 on its own. Not that I am sticking up for Marriott here.
nequine likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
If this is the first time you are seeing a resort fee or other such charge that pays for items you would think are included you havent been traveling much. Its the
norm unfortunately and many such fees are a multiple of $25 at higher end resorts. Its obnoxious and it should be illegal but its not. At least today it seems to be disclosed when you book. However whats worse is they can increase the fee after you book without notice and you are stuck with the higher fee.

from this fee. The $15 food credit is real and cyc fitness classes are very popular and pricey so if you
actually do the class thats worth at least $25 on its own. Not that I am sticking up for Marriott here.
I have stayed at the Marquis.

It is not a resort.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: LTP, PP
"thoughtful upgrades" LOL
rt23456p likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by ryandk
Here's a response I got from the Marriott Marquis on Facebook when I asked about the "Destination Fee":

Our Daily Destination fee includes thoughtful upgrades designed to enhance your stay in New York City. The is $25 plus tax per day. The daily offerings include:
$15 Food Credit to Fresh Bites*
Enhanced Internet and Local/Long Distance Calls
NYC Downtown Loop or Cruise Ticket (1 per day). See City Experts on 8th floor to redeem
Cycle Class at CYC Fitness (1 per day). See Concierge on 8th floor to redeem

It's a total cash-grab. How is this legal?
As much as I am opposed to "destination," "amenity" or "resort" fees, I might not be as opposed if they actually paid for a service or amenity that (1) I would actually use or (2) don't already receive (like free internet).
rt23456p likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer

the food credit is for room service Only.
Does the delivery charges and services charges included ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.