Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:41 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
Airline status is more valuable and tougher to obtain than hotel status.

I think NDN's scheme is quite equitable and an improvement over the current offering.

Exactly. Giving 1K out to MR Platinum is too much. 1k flyers get tremendous benefits because they are literally flying ALL the time. Consider that 100k miles per year is 20+ coast-to-coast trips a year, almost 2 a month. In general, if you are flying that often, you will also be getting status in a hotel chain anyway, too.

UA Gold is reasonably good status and gives some nice benefits, such as E+ at booking. I think this scheme is equitable and also more profitable for the airlines, since it also protects the elite customers and keeps that relationship strong.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
And we now return you to our regularly scheduled programming, which is the topic of the Marquis

@jeanie, I'd probably stick with the Marquis myself.

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:16 am

My wife and I are staying at the Marquis for 4 nights in June for our 10th anniversary. What are the chances of getting upgraded to the TS view as a Platinum?

I called and the guy said that they do the upgrades at check in, but made a note that I requested an upgrade and that it was our 10th anniversary.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:04 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Every time I have stayed, I have always been upgraded to a TS view room. But I tend to go when it isn't completely full either.

So most likely if there is a TS view room available to upgrade you to, they will do it. But if you really want a TS view room and it will put a big damper on the whole trip otherwise, I might ask about paying for the TS view room which would get it guaranteed for you. You might be able to call/email the hotel and see if they would take upgrade certs assuming you are staying on an award of course (and if so how many) or if they would be willing to offer a cash upgrade fee for upgrading you now. I've had some hotels do that for me. I've had some that wouldn't.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:10 am
NDN

Originally Posted by mkchang
My wife and I are staying at the Marquis for 4 nights in June for our 10th anniversary. What are the chances of getting upgraded to the TS view as a Platinum?

I called and the guy said that they do the upgrades at check in, but made a note that I requested an upgrade and that it was our 10th anniversary.
The hotel is massive. You will almost certainly get the upgrade. I didn't want the TS view, but a larger room; I got it.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:55 am

never got an upgrade to full TS view as gold
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mkchang

When you called, did you speak to a supervisor or manager or just the guy who answered the phone at the front desk? Hopefully, you at least got their name. Even with that, a lot will depend on the FDC checking you in and their attitude.

Also, there are a couple of dates in June where the hotel is sold out or in high demand and TS view rooms are going for $629+ per night (I am going to be in NYC at the end of the month). You might have difficulty scoring an upgrade during these times.

On my last stay there with family during Spring Break, we received on upgrade to a TS view room, but we had to wait until after 5:00pm to get our upgraded room (we arrived at 1:00pm and had requested early check-in) and kind of put a damper on the day. On other occasions I have been told no upgrades because they are almost sold out.

Just so you know TS View rooms tend to be smaller and everyone seems to want one. The Marquis has some nice suites so you might ask what type of upgraded room they have you in (if you are getting one) before insisting on the TS view room.

As others have said, if its really important to you and getting a TS view room is going to make or break your trip, paying for the room you want may avoid disappointment. We can speculate on FT about your chances of scoring an upgrade, but nothing is guaranteed until you actually get the room key and are in the room.

Good luck and Happy Anniversary (in advance!)
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
It may be helpful to define what a Times Square view really is.

Assuming a higher floor (like above the 30th), all you are really going to see is the middle and tops of other buildings. Or you can press your face against the window and look at the street level directly below you. But how long are you really going to want to do that?

YMMV, but after having spent the better part of a year in this hotel, that was my experience.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:16 am

Big hotel...some people find the walk from the corner TS view quite a hike, but the view is fun.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
If you want to really appreciate the TS view, keep it below the 20th floor.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:20 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by pwrshift
some people find the walk from the corner TS view quite a hike
After two days for me.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Chewie
If you want to really appreciate the TS view, keep it below the 20th floor.
And then you can listen to the cabs & garbage trucks

I haven't stayed at the Marquis in a few years, but I went for interior rooms which were larger over the rooms with a TS view. I wanted the space more than the room (but then again I used to spend a lot of time in NYC so I'd already seen TS a lot). If I wanted a TS view, I'd meet people for drinks at the bar overlooking TS (2nd floor?).

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:17 am
NDN

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
And then you can listen to the cabs & garbage trucks

I haven't stayed at the Marquis in a few years, but I went for interior rooms which were larger over the rooms with a TS view. I wanted the space more than the room (but then again I used to spend a lot of time in NYC so I'd already seen TS a lot). If I wanted a TS view, I'd meet people for drinks at the bar overlooking TS (2nd floor?).

Cheers.
My exec suite on the 34th floor or something was very quiet...not interrior room.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by NDN
My exec suite on the 34th floor or something was very quiet...not interrior room.
You were above the 20th floor & if the suite was on the side street vs. TS side, probably not so busy. While a TS view is nice, I'll still take a larger room (or even a suite - never upgraded to one at the Marquis) over the view.

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:25 am
NDN

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You were above the 20th floor & if the suite was on the side street vs. TS side, probably not so busy. While a TS view is nice, I'll still take a larger room (or even a suite - never upgraded to one at the Marquis) over the view.

Cheers.
I was on a corner with both TS and a street. The corner rooms are exec suites--not real suites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.