Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Hotel Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
[email protected]

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-f-amp-b-2881
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Hotel Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by buckeye91
I'll be staying at this property next year for the first time. My wife and I are taking our adult niece with us so we will have 3 adults

I just booked 4 nights using points for 2 adults. It would not allow me to book for 3 adults

As a lifetime Platinum member, does anybody know if I will be charged for the extra person in my room or will they allow the extra person with my lifetime status? Obviously hoping to get upgraded to a larger room. Not going until September, 2019

Have been to Italy many times but with only 2 adults, never with a third. I have read that roll aways are not common and many hotels charge for extra person
Never a problem for me as an elite. I always book for two and show up with 3. Sometimes more. Including at this hotel. As long as you are upgraded to a room that can support 3 people then it will be fine. As the old saying goes, it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
buckeye91 and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:20 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Never a problem for me as an elite. I always book for two and show up with 3. Sometimes more. Including at this hotel. As long as you are upgraded to a room that can support 3 people then it will be fine. As the old saying goes, it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Haha, I generally agree with that saying (straight from the book/movie Eragon AFAIK)...but I don’t like to take things for granted or leave them to chance, either. In the USA, I’d assume that to be true, but I wouldn’t necessarily assume that in Europe. I’d always ask in advance to be sure, personally.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
But this is very risky advice in Italy in general as it's the one country I've seen where SPG (used to?) have different room rates by occupancy level.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
As a lifetime Platinum member, does anybody know if I will be charged for the extra person in my room or will they allow the extra person with my lifetime status? Obviously hoping to get upgraded to a larger room. Not going until September, 2019
Mrs. Majuki, Mrs. Majuki's sister, and I stayed in one room about two years ago without an issue or extra charge. This was on a paid stay, but I don't think that a paid versus points stay should be any different. All three of us received breakfast as well as evening hors d'oeuvres. The hotel actually placed a twin bed in our room instead of a typical rollaway for my sister-in-law.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Haha, I generally agree with that saying (straight from the book/movie Eragon AFAIK)...but I don’t like to take things for granted or leave them to chance, either. In the USA, I’d assume that to be true, but I wouldn’t necessarily assume that in Europe. I’d always ask in advance to be sure, personally.
I've been doing this for about 20 years all over the world and in my experience, if you ask first you will likely be charged. Especially in Italy. But if it's a great hotel like this one is, and if you are Platinum, then they never bother you after check in. Speaking purely from my own experience of course. YMMV. In practical terms if you are a good customer they would prefer to not upset you with extra charges. If you are not judged to be a good customer, then maybe this won't work very well.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:31 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Expert Review posted to Luxury Forum

My review of our 5 night stay a week ago is posted now to the Luxury Forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-f-amp-b-2881

Suffice to say that we loved our stay. Our Arno View Junior Suite was spectacular, and my mother's deluxe king room was much nicer than I had expected, too.

We also visited the Four Seasons. IMO, the StR is the obviously better hotel unless you like gardens and/or want a pool.
damon88 and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:37 pm

Any comments specifically on the Grand Deluxe Suite? The room pictures online make the living room and bedroom both very small, and it seems that the Junior Suite Arno or Junior Suite might be the better choice... would appreciate views from anyone who's stayed in either.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:53 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by makin'miles
Any comments specifically on the Grand Deluxe Suite? The room pictures online make the living room and bedroom both very small, and it seems that the Junior Suite Arno or Junior Suite might be the better choice... would appreciate views from anyone who's stayed in either.
I had the exact same thoughts and had them confirmed by those here and on TripAdvisor who mentioned stays in the Grand Deluxe Suite. Some still liked it, especially the second bathroom. But most were of the same opinion that the Junior Suites were better overall spaces. That is also why I asked to not get an upgrade to the Grand Deluxe Suite for my most recent stay.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 3:08 pm

Thanks - I just read through your (fantastic!) full review, and I will make the same request. That junior suite looks gorgeous.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:17 am

This hotel used to participate in Z3H/Z3R/Z4H/Z4R etc.. coupon promotions but upon further checking today, said coupon promotions appear to no longer work on random dates! Anyone else finding the same?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:22 pm

I'll be staying at this property next year for the first time. My wife and I are taking our adult niece with us so we will have 3 adults

I just booked 4 nights using points for 2 adults. It would not allow me to book for 3 adults

Have been to Italy many times but with only 2 adults, never with a third. I have read that roll aways are not common and many hotels charge for extra person
What was the result of using points to book a room for 2 adults but checking-in with 3 adults? I might be in the same situation...
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:28 am

Any advice on trying to get two adults and two kids into one room or am I stuck with getting two rooms. I'm a platinum if that matters!!!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by sunbon
Any advice on trying to get two adults and two kids into one room or am I stuck with getting two rooms. I'm a platinum if that matters!!!
See post # 152.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunbon
You quoted my advice! Just show up with your family and you will be taken care of. Of course it helps to be exceedingly polite with the staff at the hotel.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:35 pm

FWIW, I have been up charged at Italian SPG hotels on this point when I mistakenly grabbed the wrong occupancy when booking, i,e, at check in. Now this was going from 1-2 which is where I suspect the real issue is. Europe unlike the US really does price “single occupancy” rooms differently in a lot of hotels and as a result, understandably polices when people show up with more than 1 person on that rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.