Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Retreat & Spa Bali, Indonesia - Seminyak [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Beach Information

Please note that the area in front of the resort is a public beach. There is a strong current and we discourage guests from swimming in the ocean as there are no lifeguards on duty. Should you choose to swim in the ocean, you do so at your own risk. Please contact the resort for further information.

Seclusion Day Information: March 9, 2016

Nyepi is an important religious event in Bali and marks the beginning of the New Year in the Balinese Hindu calendar. In 2016, Nyepi falls on March 9. On Nyepi Day, from 6am to 6am the following day, all daily activities throughout Bali will stop. Shops and offices will be closed and people are not allowed to go out into the streets, engage in entertainment activities, turn on lights or make noise which may disturb others. Ngurah Rai International Airport will be closed for Nyepi Day. Neither departures nor arrivals are permitted on March 9, 2016.

There will be changes in hours of operation for our venues. There will be very little outside lighting during the night and there will be no transportation services to and from the resort. WET® (pool) is available for your enjoyment until 4pm; however, we request that you do not use the beach area or swim in the sea on Nyepi Day.

In addition, as per a new regulation of the Government of Bali, all television providers, including cable channels, will not broadcast during Nyepi Day. A collection of books is available at WIRED, and DVD movies and some table games are available upon request at Whatever/Whenever®. Starfish Bloo & Woobar will be closed on March 9, 2016; however, our fabulous In-Retreat Dining is open 24 hours, and FIRE is open until 10pm.

Please contact the resort directly for further information.
Print Wikipost

W Retreat & Spa Bali, Indonesia - Seminyak [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by DXBPlat
1) Previous posts had shown a rather unappealling beach. I'm not bothered by brown sand, more it looked like it hadn't been developed in any way with loungers, cabanas etc. Any comments on the beach (or did you get any info from managers), is it better to plan to spend lazy days by the pool?
We tried walking along the beach to Ku de Ta and yes it is rather dirty and unappealing. I'd highly recommend cabbing it. Didn't see any lounges or cabanas. Some of the other resorts don't seem to take care of their parts of the beach either with lots of rubbish strewn everywhere. Along the way I also saw some signs prohibiting sunbathing as apparently parts of the beach are considered sacred land. Best to spend time by the pool and enjoy the waves and sea breeze from afar.

2) Brunch sounds fantastic, I looked online and it only prices the without alcohol version. What's the uplift for booze?
An extra 500 000 Rupiah per pax. Gets you a welcome glass of sparkling, free flow wine (1 red, 1 white - both from the same Chilean brand; the cab sav was pretty good) and beer. I think it's a rip off in retrospect, compared to W HK's Sunday Brunch at Kitchen which serves free flow Perrier Jouet and a wider variety of wine, but then things like wine are often hideously overpriced in SE Asia anyway. The former W Insider at HK did remark that if I went to Sunday Brunch more often they might have to double the premium for booze... not that I knew what she's talking about.

3) Did you try the spa? And, more importantly, can you think of a good title beginning with W to describe it?
Unfortunately we didn't try the spa as neither of us are big on spas. But by all accounts I'm sure AWAY Spa will Ward off the Blues. We might get around to trying the spa when we check out W Maldives if we get bored sitting around on an island lol.

4) Last of all, I've stayed at the W in HK too and was very impressed - is this better, worse or much the same (but with a beach)?
Apples and oranges. They both rank right up there as my fave Ws, along with W Seoul and W Istanbul. W HK is an urban W, whereas this is a W resort. They're both sexy in their own ways. This is my first Retreat & Spa, and I found it very relaxed and casual whereas the urban Ws are more energetic and hyper. Whereas the W HK makes you want to get up, dance and walk on air, the W Bali sensually lulls you into a gentler state. I prefer the more psychedelic decor of the W HK (or at least the rooms designed by G&A which are my fave - the other design scheme is not as interesting), as I thought our villa at the W Bali was rather subdued, albeit still adequately contemporary and minimalist. Generally, if you know and love the W brand, you'll have a great time at W Bali.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Keith009; Mar 29, 2011 at 3:07 am
Old Mar 29, 2011, 2:50 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for the great report, 009.

But I keep wondering whether the villas are worth the normal rate of almost $800 per night.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Thanks QF009!! This was, smiply WOW! Great report here. I had just a few questions:

1) What was the temperature of your private dunk pool?
2) I see you're SPG PLT... Did you book the villa? Were you ug'd? Did you speak to anyone there (gues or staff) who mentioned anything about Upgrades?
3) What would be your recommendation for me for my upcoming honeymoon - of which five nights will be at this property?

Thanks for the great report, again! It was WWWonderful
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by ariyo15
1) What was the temperature of your private dunk pool?
It varied according to the temperature of the day, so I don't think it's heated or anything.

2) I see you're SPG PLT... Did you book the villa? Were you ug'd? Did you speak to anyone there (gues or staff) who mentioned anything about Upgrades?
I booked the villa. Per information posted elsewhere on FT, they do not do any upgrades to villas nor intra-villa upgrades, and you get a one category room upgrade if booking in the main building. But I feel that a W is so much more than the size of your room - it's about the overrall experience! That said, book a villa if you can, it's Bali after all!

For anyone interested in the SPG bennies: Wifi is free property-wide (for everyone, not just SPG Plats), late check out granted readily, and 500 SPG points amenity posted automatically.

3) What would be your recommendation for me for my upcoming honeymoon - of which five nights will be at this property?
Book the W's X5 to/from the airport. Much more comfy than local cabs. Or at least a Toyota Innova.

To guarantee an absolutely WOW honeymoon, simply book a villa. The private pool is rather romantic, and you can spend many a lazy afternoon chilling out on the day bed and cabanas. It might be pricey but it's your honeymoon!

Sunday Brunch at Starfish Bloo! But avoid the alcohol package - it'd be better to pay by the bottle as opposed to being stuck with the mediocre and very small selection that comes with the package. The normal daily breakfasts at Fire are also very good, albeit they end rather early at 1030.

The Lavender Martini at the W Lounge is a must. We went through 90% of the cocktails but this really stood out. Red Royals Royce (not Rolls Royce as incorrectly posted - sorry!) is also great if you like something with a bit more bite.

Make sure you acquaint yourself with the Insiders - Teddi and Irma, they're fab, fab people!

Lastly, WooBar opened yesterday. Sadly it wasn't open when I was there so I can't tell you what it's like. But their opening night pics on FB look pimpin' and you absolutely have to make WooBar one of your party stops and tell us what it's like!

Thanks for the great report, again! It was WWWonderful
Thanks! I hope you'll have an AMAZING stay at the "New Scene Unseen"!

Last edited by Keith009; Apr 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:55 pm

[QUOTE=QF009;16120200]

An extra 500 000 Rupiah per pax. Gets you a welcome glass of sparkling, free flow wine (1 red, 1 white - both from the same Chilean brand; the cab sav was pretty good) and beer. I think it's a rip off in retrospect, compared to W HK's Sunday Brunch at Kitchen which serves free flow Perrier Jouet and a wider variety of wine, but then things like wine are often hideously overpriced in SE Asia anyway. QUOTE]

I'm the last one to defend expensive charges but to be fair the Indonesian government has increased the duty on all kinds of alcohol by about 300% in the last 12-18 months. It's now difficult to find Jacob's Creek anywhere for less than about Rp400,000 a bottle. This works out to be about A$45 a bottle, versus about A$11 or A$12 in Australia for the same thing.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by camsean
I'm the last one to defend expensive charges but to be fair the Indonesian government has increased the duty on all kinds of alcohol by about 300% in the last 12-18 months. It's now difficult to find Jacob's Creek anywhere for less than about Rp400,000 a bottle. This works out to be about A$45 a bottle, versus about A$11 or A$12 in Australia for the same thing.
Thanks for the context. Yes I've noticed that wine in Bali is rather overpriced even when compared to the rest of SE Asia. We did pay about 400 000 Rupiah for a pretty average bottle of Chilean red at Warung Made that surely would've cost a lot less elsewhere. Which is why I avoid Aussie and Kiwi wine when I'm overseas as I know how much they should cost back home!

For Sunday Brunch at Starfish Bloo, I still think it's better to avoid the alcohol package and instead order booze ala carte. It might end up being more expensive but that way you're at least paying for something you like and not confined to the pretty rubbish selection they have for the alcohol package.

Last edited by Keith009; Apr 2, 2011 at 1:33 am
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:44 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
thank you for that excellent review ^
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
W Seminyak vs. W Koh Samui

I was in Samui last December and will go to Seminyak in June.
Did anyone go to both and could compare one to the other?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
I had already booked the W Bali but in this thread I read that the beach is unappealing and not well maintained. Since my wife and I prefer beach over pool, I am canceling again.

What other SPG property is there in Bali with a great beach?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by points_maniac
I had already booked the W Bali but in this thread I read that the beach is unappealing and not well maintained. Since my wife and I prefer beach over pool, I am canceling again.

What other SPG property is there in Bali with a great beach?
I have stayed at the laguna and the Westin ( They are next door to each other). Not a great Beach in my opinion.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jchand
I have stayed at the laguna and the Westin ( They are next door to each other). Not a great Beach in my opinion.
So where are all the great Bali beaches then? By great I mean clean, nice sand, swimmable, tropical feel, not too crowded.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 3:20 pm

So where are all the great Bali beaches then? By great I mean clean, nice sand, swimmable, tropical feel, not too crowded.
In Thailand. Seriously, I wouldn't consider Bali if beach is what you are after. Don't get me wrong, I've been a dozen times and LOVE the interior. But the resorts aren't on great beaches, though the surfing is excellent. If you are willing to head up north and rent a villa, that's different. Or maybe Lombok? All I'm saying is Seminyak and Nusa Dua and Sanur beaches are nothing special. That said, it is exactly where you will find me in August!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
thank you QF009 for the excellent report and the pics. I am currently in Bali and planning to be in the W from 6th ro 10th in April.

Regarding the benefits for SPG plat, my impression is, that there is nothing more like a 4pm checkout, when u already book a villa. Am I right with that? Breakfast was not included?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Olip
Regarding the benefits for SPG plat, my impression is, that there is nothing more like a 4pm checkout, when u already book a villa. Am I right with that? Breakfast was not included?
Correct. From what I understand, they will not upgrade to villas nor upgrade to bigger villas.

Apart from 4pm late check out I also got my Plat amenity. Brekky isn't included, though it might have been one of the Plat amenity options (I can't remember). Not sure of any W where breakfast is included.

Enjoy your stay!!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I think the St Regis Bali has a pretty nice beach. It's better than what you'll get in the area the W is located and was never anything close to crowded when we were there. I'm torn about this one, because I really like the beach at the St Regis but was looking forward to the area the W is in because it is located near a better range of off premise eateries. I'm inclined to go back to the St Regis and just deal with cab rides for dinner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.