W Retreat & Spa Bali, Indonesia - Seminyak [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 12, 18, 12:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lcpteck
Wiki Link
Beach Information

Please note that the area in front of the resort is a public beach. There is a strong current and we discourage guests from swimming in the ocean as there are no lifeguards on duty. Should you choose to swim in the ocean, you do so at your own risk. Please contact the resort for further information.

Seclusion Day Information: March 9, 2016

Nyepi is an important religious event in Bali and marks the beginning of the New Year in the Balinese Hindu calendar. In 2016, Nyepi falls on March 9. On Nyepi Day, from 6am to 6am the following day, all daily activities throughout Bali will stop. Shops and offices will be closed and people are not allowed to go out into the streets, engage in entertainment activities, turn on lights or make noise which may disturb others. Ngurah Rai International Airport will be closed for Nyepi Day. Neither departures nor arrivals are permitted on March 9, 2016.

There will be changes in hours of operation for our venues. There will be very little outside lighting during the night and there will be no transportation services to and from the resort. WET® (pool) is available for your enjoyment until 4pm; however, we request that you do not use the beach area or swim in the sea on Nyepi Day.

In addition, as per a new regulation of the Government of Bali, all television providers, including cable channels, will not broadcast during Nyepi Day. A collection of books is available at WIRED, and DVD movies and some table games are available upon request at Whatever/Whenever®. Starfish Bloo & Woobar will be closed on March 9, 2016; however, our fabulous In-Retreat Dining is open 24 hours, and FIRE is open until 10pm.

Please contact the resort directly for further information.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 4, 11, 9:08 pm

Programs: *G, SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by stephem View Post
I think the St Regis Bali has a pretty nice beach. It's better than what you'll get in the area the W is located and was never anything close to crowded when we were there. I'm torn about this one, because I really like the beach at the St Regis but was looking forward to the area the W is in because it is located near a better range of off premise eateries. I'm inclined to go back to the St Regis and just deal with cab rides for dinner.
Ditto, exactly my sentiments.

Unlike QF009, I'm quite the comatose vacationer
Old Apr 5, 11, 7:26 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SPG Plat. HY Diamond, HH Gold
Originally Posted by QF009 View Post
Correct. From what I understand, they will not upgrade to villas nor upgrade to bigger villas.

Apart from 4pm late check out I also got my Plat amenity. Brekky isn't included, though it might have been one of the Plat amenity options (I can't remember). Not sure of any W where breakfast is included.

Enjoy your stay!!
Thanks again for the quick reply. Regarding the upgrades I don't think that they should upgrade Plats to villas, but of course to suites, when they are available. Otherwise this would look for me like another hotel which thinks they can make up their own rules which is something I totally dislike...

Regardings the other benefits that sounds a bit stingy to me.
No brekky? No cocktail or some snacks during 5pm - 7 pm or so?

Hmmm, maybe I am just too spoiled from *woods in Thailand or from Hhonors?

Regards, Martin
(will report tomorrow)
Old Apr 5, 11, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Olip View Post
Thanks again for the quick reply. Regarding the upgrades I don't think that they should upgrade Plats to villas, but of course to suites, when they are available. Otherwise this would look for me like another hotel which thinks they can make up their own rules which is something I totally dislike...

Regardings the other benefits that sounds a bit stingy to me.
No brekky? No cocktail or some snacks during 5pm - 7 pm or so?

Hmmm, maybe I am just too spoiled from *woods in Thailand or from Hhonors?

Regards, Martin
(will report tomorrow)
The trouble is they don't seem to have any suites. Or at least I can't see any on the booking engine.

Apart from the W HK which at one point had free snacks/drinks for Plats in a designated section of their Living Room, I don't think any Ws give out such kind of freebies like the other brands do in their lounges. Who wants to sit in a boring, quiet lounge anyway when you've got a happening Living Room (or in this case W Lounge/WooBar)! It's a very different product and in this case provides a trendy and fun alternative to the very many stuffy options in Bali. I think the W experiene more than makes up for the lack of freebies. Then again that's just me. I'm usually up too late for brekky (other than Sunday Brunch at some Ws which goes till as late as 3pm) and in city-based locales am usually out shopping when they serve free booze in the lounge.

Let us know what WooBar is like! Their opening party looked totally amazing and glam!

Last edited by Keith009; Apr 5, 11 at 12:55 pm
Old Apr 5, 11, 5:03 pm

All of the rates that I've seen at the St Regis include a very nice daily breakfast. So another thing the St Regis has going over the W.
Old Apr 5, 11, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by leo-chan View Post
Unlike QF009, I'm quite the comatose vacationer
Funniest post on Flyertalk in a long time.
Long may Keith continue to party!
Old Apr 5, 11, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by stephem View Post
All of the rates that I've seen at the St Regis include a very nice daily breakfast. So another thing the St Regis has going over the W.
The W does have rates that include breakfast. I think people were referring to free breakfast as a Platinum benefit.
Old Apr 18, 11, 7:45 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
I stayed in a 1 Bedroom Villa for 3 nights last week for $300 USD a night, and at that price it was a wonderful experience however I don't think I would be willing to pay the $600+ night they hope to get for those villas.

Pros:
-Service really went out of their way to make you comfortable and many of the staff had come from other top resorts on the island such as the FS Sayan. Their personalities made up for many but not all short comings.
-The dinner at Fire was quite good, particularly the Lobster pizza
-Located near tons of great restaurants and the concierge gave excellent suggestions
-Villas feel very private and swimming in the private pool during the rain is tons of fun
-Villas are well designed and decorated

Cons:
- Room wasn't ready until an hour and a half after we arrived for check-in despite repeatedly being told it would be ready in 10 minutes. (We arrived after the official check in time)
- Breakfast buffet was lackluster, not as good as the Laguna for example and very pricey at USD $30++ per person.
- Despite being confirmed via email a pre-arrival request was not taken care of and I had to follow up while on the property
- No swimming at the beach and the big signs saying no swimming in the ocean distract from the ambiance
-It doesn't feel quite right to travel all the way to Bali and be in what is essentially a nice pool in a nice backyard, I can do that in California
-The backyard already appeared worn, there was one tile missing in the pools flooring and the daybed in our villa looked more than 1 month old, its going to be A LOT of work for them to keep these villas up nice
-2 nights in a row the key sensor on our door got fried and had to be reset. Both times this involved us making multiple trips from the villa to the front desk to convince them our key wasn't the problem as they had already given us a replacement key. This is a HUGE let down at 1AM after paying $15USD++ for drinks at their hotel bar.
-DVD/Speaker wiring wasn't properly set up when we arrived and the DVD wasn't coded to play US movies the hotel provides guests, again a bit of a let down when you want to watch a late night movie and have to have a tech come out for 40 minutes to figure out the problem. Don't they test these things when they set them up???

Overall the property is beautiful and the staff is warm and genuine. It was a good stay for the price I paid but I would have been disappointed if I paid the normal rates for the villa and would only stay again if I could get a good deal perhaps through SPG 50 rate or some sort of other promotion.
Old Apr 19, 11, 3:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, SPG Lifetime PLT, Hyatt Explorist, Relais & Chateaux 5C
The trouble is they don't seem to have any suites. Or at least I can't see any on the booking engine.
I would think twice before correcting the excellentissime Keith QF009 but it is possible that the suites were not yet in the inventory when he visited the property (maybe some last minute touch-up like it happened to me in W Taipei). I did a quick search in June and I can see some Marvellous suite being available.

The Guest room page shows
  • Suite Available
  • Bi Level Suite

So we might get lucky
Old Apr 20, 11, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by JohnSIN View Post
I would think twice before correcting the excellentissime Keith QF009 but it is possible that the suites were not yet in the inventory when he visited the property (maybe some last minute touch-up like it happened to me in W Taipei). I did a quick search in June and I can see some Marvellous suite being available.

The Guest room page shows
  • Suite Available
  • Bi Level Suite

So we might get lucky
Ahh... thanks for that JohnSIN.

I'd still pay for a villa. It doesn't feel right going to Bali and not have a villa with private pool.
Old Apr 21, 11, 8:36 am
Suspended

It doesn't feel right going to Bali and not have a villa with private pool.
I have not stayed at the W Bali (so my opinion doesnt matter); but based on the layout plan which I have seen some time ago, the "villas" are arranged in square grids like a mass housing estate, plus the site is relatively flat like.... an army camp ??? I dont believe this concept is typical of villa resorts in Bali.
Old Apr 22, 11, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
I have not stayed at the W Bali (so my opinion doesnt matter); but based on the layout plan which I have seen some time ago, the "villas" are arranged in square grids like a mass housing estate, plus the site is relatively flat like.... an army camp ??? I dont believe this concept is typical of villa resorts in Bali.
It is a fair walk from the W Lounge to the villa. You get to ride in a buggy, which is much appreciated after a massive night out! I don't like the uneven paths to the villas, unncessary finesse IMO and also potentially dangerous.

What would you consider a 'typical' villa resort in Bali? Other than the Elysian, a Design Hotels property I stayed at last time, and B Villa which has a most interesting design, all the rest seem so old school - too much wood everywhere and a lot like those crummy old structures you see in Ubud. Ws aren't typical, they stand out.

Last edited by Keith009; Apr 22, 11 at 4:35 pm
Old Apr 22, 11, 6:41 pm

In a way, I agree with this comment. Also remember, the villas have no beach/ocean view and access to the (not-so-great) beach is a bit of a pain, buggy and all.

Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Old Apr 24, 11, 5:38 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by beta1607 View Post
Don't they test these things when they set them up???
When they tested this using the $3 DVD from the local market it played just fine.
Old May 5, 11, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, AS MVP75k, Nat'l Executive, and oh yea..Can't forget my UA, MR and UR collections
Ahh... thanks for that JohnSIN.

I'd still pay for a villa. It doesn't feel right going to Bali and not have a villa with private pool.
I was just going to ask about that....

I'm a gold (though will hit PLT by the time I get to Bali) member going to Bali for my honeymoon. I was pretty bummed to hear that, basically, they don't do upgrades.

Now though - after reading a few posts and checking the SPG site - I'm noticing Marvelous, WOW and Extreme WOW suites. Does this mean I could potentially get into one of those as an UG for my honeymoon (not to mention my being a Plat AND on a honeymoon)?? Sure, I guess I could always get crazy lucky and score a villa, but I'm not holding my breath. I would however, LOVE to get into a Marvelous or WOW suite

Realistically, what are my chances? Anyone have an insider scoop? Also, what about photos? QF was great with villa photos, but what about these suites? Anyone seen 'em yet???
Old May 5, 11, 12:21 pm

I don't think Platinum upgrades are guaranteed in any Starwood property. If I really want a suite, especially when it's a special occasion, I'll simply pay for one.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: