Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Had a below average stay at the W. Will not return to this place again.
Not to mention no upgrade. Carpet needs a steam clean. Shower marginally working. Noisy and small lobby. Check-in staff showed no interest in the customer.

Couple of positives: elevators fast; comp morning coffee at XYZ.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by kingsubbu
I have also had great stays at the Le Meridien. They often have weekend deals for $99-$119 a night and these are a steal! The hotel is great, but the location is not that spectacular, esp on the weekends. The St Francis is much more central but also a little tired, IMO.
I've enjoyed $119 rates at the LM in the past, though I've been seeing rates closer to $159 lately. Hopefully I'm just a little too early for the dates I want. I really enjoy the LM and while the area immediately surrounding the property is pretty quiet on the weekends, it's very close to the Ferry Building and North Beach and Chinatown. If you're willing to walk (which makes sense in SF), you can be near the action in the matter of minutes.

I've got a restaurant gift certificate to use in a couple of months and I'm going to give Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf a shot since it's close to the restaurant and has great prices for my night. The pics of the remodeled rooms look fresh so I'm willing to go in with an open mind.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
After reading all the information, my head is spinning. I have ruled out St Regis due to price and 20K a night. In addition, i have ruled out LM. We are there for four nights including a weekend. Have been before but briefly. Love walking around and getting lost, so location isnt as important.

Does the Palace suck? Reviews here and TA vary so much! Is it comparable to the US Grant?

What is the main difference b/t the two Westins?

Any help is appreciated.

-singtx
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
The Palace is not comparable to the US Grant in my experience. I have never missed an upgrade at the US Grant, but have never been upgraded at the Palace. If you get the standard room there, it is rather smallish.

If it is between the two Westins, the one on Market street is newly-renovated and brought to brand standards in the last few years. The one on Union Square (St. Franics) is a mix of old and new. Both are centrally located.

I would not rule out Le Meridien even on a weekend. If all else fails, pay the $5-10 cab fare if you don't want to walk down an abandoned street for four blocks to Market.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I agree that you shouldn't rule out the LM. It's closest of any of the SPG properties to Chinatown and North Beach, and is the same walking distance to the embarcadero as the Palace. It's also near the California Street cable car line and the Embarcadero shopping center.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Agreed with boifromtroy -- the location of the Meridien isn't really inconvenient. The "abandoned streets" he refers to are in the business district and are not at all unsafe. Also, on weekends it's a very quiet neighborhood with ample street parking.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by boifromtroy
I would not rule out Le Meridien even on a weekend. If all else fails, pay the $5-10 cab fare if you don't want to walk down an abandoned street for four blocks to Market.
I generally agree with your thoughts here, but BE AWARE of the possibility of union organizers disturbing your sleep on weekend days.
Last time I was there, the noise was deafening even on the 21st floor, and it lasted for at least 45 minutes.
I spoke to the police on scene and they told me that if the bullhorns are not more than "x" watts and the organizers dont threaten people, there's nothing the hotel or the police can do about it.

Just a thought.
Dave
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia

+1 Le Meridien is actually in a great location for walking, since you're still close enough to Union Square, but also within walking distance to North Beach, 4 blocks from the ferry building (farmer's market on Sat), and your cab line will be significantly shorter than at either Westin if you plan on venturing farther away.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:25 am

We dont mind walking...but was unsure about the financial district and being "dead" at night/weekends.

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Im reviewing the LM again.

What is it like around the hotel at night/weekends?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
It's quiet, like a residential area. In fact many people do live several blocks away in the several residential buildings next to the Embarcadero Center and in the other direction many people live in Chinatown, of course.

The Embarcadero Center across the street has a movie theatre and restaurants that people go to at night and on weekends.

There are also several small, economical business hotels nearby. I can't remember their names, though.

It's much safer than the Mission District at night, in my opinion, and there are fewer to none homeless people there, compared to near the St. Francis.

If you have any other questions, please ask.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by kevino
... (CUT BY SINGTX)

If you have any other questions, please ask.
Thanks Kevino.

Regarding the LM, how are the restaurants and bars (walking distance of .25 miles). Prefer local and would like to avoid any chains.
Any recs you can provide?

Where do you eat and shop when downtown?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by singtx
Regarding the LM, how are the restaurants and bars (walking distance of .25 miles). Prefer local and would like to avoid any chains.
Can't speak for kevino, but there is an area, EASILY walkable near the LM called Belden Place, where about 5 or more local restaurants sit right next to one another with al fresco dining in decent weather.
Google it and you can see a very nice selection of foods from Steak to Italian, to Seafood, to desert.
I go there every time I'm at LM.

Dave
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:58 pm

The Palace is not comparable to the US Grant in my experience. I have never missed an upgrade at the US Grant, but have never been upgraded at the Palace. If you get the standard room there, it is rather smallish.

If it is between the two Westins, the one on Market street is newly-renovated and brought to brand standards in the last few years. The one on Union Square (St. Franics) is a mix of old and new. Both are centrally located.

I had a positively lovely stay at the Palace in November and they upgraded us to a stunning corner suite. The room was amazing. Staff was attentive and anticipated our every need. Sunday brunch at the Garden Court is a nice splurge.

I've also had nice stays at LM and I've always received an upgrade. If you don't mind walking, it really is just a short walk to so many wonderful San Francisco neighborhoods. The hotel has awesome views of the Bay and City. We will be staying there again in January for our anniversary.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:11 pm

As Dave has pointed out, Belden Place is good with a number of restaurants to choose from. Also, any of the restaurants in Chinatown would be local. A little further walk to North Beach and you can have your pick of dozens of local restaurants on Vallejo, Green, Grant, and Columbus Streets that are local and in any price range.

I shop on Ebay. However, there is a Loehmann's on the 200 block of Sutter that is four stories with a shoe store across the street. If can't find something there, you haven't looked hard enough.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:27 pm

Singtx, sorry, I forgot to mention the following:

1. There is a theatre four blocks from the LM that has good Broadway shows sometimes:

http://www.42ndstmoon.org/42newweb/s...eason09-10.htm

2. If you plan to go before New Year's you should try to go to the Carnelian Room at the top of the B of A building (52nd floor) before it closes on Jan. 1. I don't recommend the restaurant bc it's too expensive, but drinks are reasonable in the bar area in the afternoon and the view is great!

3. If you decide on the St. Francis, send me an e-mail and I will send you breakfast coupons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.