Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott, Starwood and Ritz-Carlton - new consolidated program
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Reply

Old Apr 29, 08, 12:10 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SQL
Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Posts: 3,165
Originally Posted by Random987 View Post
Another what hotel question:

My wife and I are going to be visiting some friends in Napa toward the end of June. We have decided to spend a few days in San Francisco (probably Sun, Mon and Tues). Here are the hotels under consideration:

Option #1- Palace Hotel 179 night or 12,000 points or 4800 points + $90 night
Option #2- Westin St. Francis 219/nt or 10,000 pts or 4000 pts + 60 night
Option #3 W San Francisco 269/nt or 12,000 pts or 4800 + 90
Option #4 - Le Méridien San Francisco, 284, 12,000 or 4800+90

We are both early 30's, foodies, no kids, wife loves shopping, etc. etc.

Any insight? Advice?

Thanks
The best location as far as shopping/restaurants/etc. is the St. Francis which is right on Union Square, although the Palace and W are not that far away. (That said, the LM is still not that far of a walk, and does have some shopping at a mall next door)

If you want something modern go for the W or LM. If oyou want something classic with a lot of history, go for the other two. The St. F. does actually have a historic section and a modern section. My understanding is that the regular rooms in the historic section leave a bit to be desired (in size etc.).

If you are a Plat, you will likely get very nice suite upgrades at the LM or Palace. St. F a bit less likely, and virtually no chance of getting a suite at the W.

If you will have a car, parking will be expensive at any of these properties. If you are at the St. F. and don't want to be, um. paying a premium for convenience, park in the Sutter-Stockton Garage (surprisingly located at Sutter and Stockton (a two block walk ). Or for not much more you can park across the street from the St. F. at the Union Square garage. For the W or Palace, the Fifth and Mission garage (has a pedestrian entrance at 4th and Mission) is not too far of a walk from the W or even the Palace. For Tthe LM there is a garage kitty kornerto the hotel that is not horribly expensive (but the one at the mall is fairly high priced). Street parking is possible to find around the LM (and to a lesser extent the W and the Palace) although you will need to take into account the hassle of feeding the meter during the day on Monday and Tuesday.

Feel free to send me a PM with your tastes if you would like some restaurant recommendations.
VPescado is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 08, 12:11 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 49
Thanks for the response.

I am only a measly Gold, so I am probably SOL on the room upgrade. We are probably going to take Bart into the City as I want to avoid renting a car.

Do you know how far the LM is from Union Square?


Originally Posted by VPescado View Post
The best location as far as shopping/restaurants/etc. is the St. Francis which is right on Union Square, although the Palace and W are not that far away. (That said, the LM is still not that far of a walk, and does have some shopping at a mall next door)

If you want something modern go for the W or LM. If oyou want something classic with a lot of history, go for the other two. The St. F. does actually have a historic section and a modern section. My understanding is that the regular rooms in the historic section leave a bit to be desired (in size etc.).

If you are a Plat, you will likely get very nice suite upgrades at the LM or Palace. St. F a bit less likely, and virtually no chance of getting a suite at the W.

If you will have a car, parking will be expensive at any of these properties. If you are at the St. F. and don't want to be, um. paying a premium for convenience, park in the Sutter-Stockton Garage (surprisingly located at Sutter and Stockton (a two block walk ). Or for not much more you can park across the street from the St. F. at the Union Square garage. For the W or Palace, the Fifth and Mission garage (has a pedestrian entrance at 4th and Mission) is not too far of a walk from the W or even the Palace. For Tthe LM there is a garage kitty kornerto the hotel that is not horribly expensive (but the one at the mall is fairly high priced). Street parking is possible to find around the LM (and to a lesser extent the W and the Palace) although you will need to take into account the hassle of feeding the meter during the day on Monday and Tuesday.

Feel free to send me a PM with your tastes if you would like some restaurant recommendations.
Random987 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 08, 12:32 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SQL
Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Posts: 3,165
Originally Posted by Random987 View Post
Thanks for the response.

I am only a measly Gold, so I am probably SOL on the room upgrade. We are probably going to take Bart into the City as I want to avoid renting a car.

Do you know how far the LM is from Union Square?
Probably a 10-15 minute walk to union square and a 5 minute walk to the Embarcadaro Bart Station. Beware that the walk through the Financial district will be pretty deserted outside of business hours (although it is not a particularly unsafe area).

IIRC the LM has a complementary car service (by reservation) on weekdays although I've never used it.
VPescado is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 08, 7:52 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: West of the Rockies
Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Posts: 1,271
Originally Posted by VPescado View Post
IIRC the LM has a complementary car service (by reservation) on weekdays although I've never used it.
I was at the LM last weekend. The "town car" is definitely available on weekends after 5pm. The room was on the south side of the building. Try and score a patio room (there is one room with a patio on each floor). It was a sunny place to sit, sip some wine and enjoy the view. (there's a Safeway with a well stocked wine section about two blocks north).
MO
MachOne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 08, 8:31 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Miami/Philly
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 103
I, too was at LM (my favorite hotel in SF) last Friday night. Loved the balcony of my suite at the end of the hallway on the 22nd floor. It featured stunning views of the Bay Bridge, Coit Tower to the left and the bay itself. LM is a mere 10 minute walk from the Embarcadero Bart stop (take the Pine/Beale Street exit). It's so much more interesting to hoof it there rather than cabbing it.
MiAAmiNice is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 08, 10:46 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SEA
Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
Posts: 380
My wife, 6mo old and I are spending a week in SF next month. Staying in various hotels(mostly booking thru HW, PL), including the Palace and Westin Market St. I have a SPG50 cert and was wondering if I should forgo the Westin Market St. and go for W, LM or St. Regis instead. My wife had me also make reserv for one night at the Clift Hotel because she likes the hip/modern styling(for 285 a night no less). Reading some not so good reviews of the cheap looking furniture at the Clift.
Recs to stay at the W, LM or St. Regis instead of the Market St or Clift?
hull22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 08, 11:43 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: BNE
Posts: 3,042
For hip and modern definitely the W or SRegis. Both are on the same street and not that far away from shopping - 10-15 mins walk tops. I've only stayed at the W and can highly recommend it - very edgy Living Room with dim ultra violet lights at night. Great service. Not such a big fan of the new, refurbished light-coloured and brightly lit hallways and rooms, prefer em dark - YMMV on this one. Whilst I've only been to SRegis for a drink - i can tell that it is deffo not your typical SRegis and has quite modern, if slightly arty decor. A friend of mine swears by the SRegis rooms, though he reckons the service is a hit/miss.
Keith009 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 08, 11:21 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 49
Thanks for the responses. I think I have narrowed it down between the W and Le Meridien. They both seem like "hipper" and more "modern" hotels. Are there any differences between the two that can help me make up my mind?

Thanks
Random987 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 08, 11:25 am
  #24  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles & Orange County, CA
Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Posts: 23,821
Originally Posted by Random987 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I think I have narrowed it down between the W and Le Meridien. They both seem like "hipper" and more "modern" hotels. Are there any differences between the two that can help me make up my mind?

Thanks
Go for the W. They've recently just remodeled their rooms. While LM is on the modern side, I wouldn't call it hip. You will find younger crowd at the W. Personally, W is my favorite hotel (next to St Regis) in SF. Service is great and I've had good luck with upgrades. Take a look at some pictures.
BlissWorld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 08, 12:14 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SQL
Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Posts: 3,165
Originally Posted by Random987 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I think I have narrowed it down between the W and Le Meridien. They both seem like "hipper" and more "modern" hotels. Are there any differences between the two that can help me make up my mind?

Thanks
W:
Better location with respect to restaurants/shopping (Union square)
Smaller rooms
Public area has that W bar vibe.

LM:
Location is a bit farther from Union Square, however closer to Emabarcadaro and the Ferry Building (which also has very nice restaurants and shopping)
Nicer, bigger rooms.
Modern but more sedate public areas.
Use of car service.

Both are similar distance to the closest Bart Station.
VPescado is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 08, 1:55 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PSP
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, *wood Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, A|Club Platinum, Avis President's Club
Posts: 119
St. Regis SF is one of the best uses OF SPG50 Cert

Originally Posted by hull22 View Post
My wife, 6mo old and I are spending a week in SF next month. Staying in various hotels(mostly booking thru HW, PL), including the Palace and Westin Market St. I have a SPG50 cert and was wondering if I should forgo the Westin Market St. and go for W, LM or St. Regis instead. My wife had me also make reserv for one night at the Clift Hotel because she likes the hip/modern styling(for 285 a night no less). Reading some not so good reviews of the cheap looking furniture at the Clift.
Recs to stay at the W, LM or St. Regis instead of the Market St or Clift?
I'd highly recommend the St. Regis for using your SPG50 certificate. It's about the best bang for the buck use of that program. Ask for a high floor "02" corner room, happily given to golds and to plats when there is no suite available.

The St. Regis is definitely superior to any of the hotels you mention, right up there with the 4 Seasons, Mandarin Oriental and Ritz. I actually prefer the St. Regis, as long as I get a "park view" high floor.
ratnasam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 08, 2:32 pm
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles & Orange County, CA
Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Posts: 23,821
Originally Posted by ratnasam View Post
I'd highly recommend the St. Regis for using your SPG50 certificate. It's about the best bang for the buck use of that program. Ask for a high floor "02" corner room, happily given to golds and to plats when there is no suite available.

The St. Regis is definitely superior to any of the hotels you mention, right up there with the 4 Seasons, Mandarin Oriental and Ritz. I actually prefer the St. Regis, as long as I get a "park view" high floor.
Not anymore. It used to be $257 after SPG50. They raised their rack rates. It is now $300+
BlissWorld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 08, 2:39 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SEA
Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
Posts: 380
Originally Posted by ratnasam View Post
I'd highly recommend the St. Regis for using your SPG50 certificate. It's about the best bang for the buck use of that program. Ask for a high floor "02" corner room, happily given to golds and to plats when there is no suite available.

The St. Regis is definitely superior to any of the hotels you mention, right up there with the 4 Seasons, Mandarin Oriental and Ritz. I actually prefer the St. Regis, as long as I get a "park view" high floor.
Thanks, just made reservations at the St. Regis for a superior rm. Hopefully, as a Preferred Plus member, I can still get that upgrade.

Curious though, I asked for a crib, but they said only a max occupancy of two per room and recommended bringing a pack and play.
hull22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 08, 7:29 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PSP
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, *wood Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, A|Club Platinum, Avis President's Club
Posts: 119
Originally Posted by hull22 View Post
Thanks, just made reservations at the St. Regis for a superior rm. Hopefully, as a Preferred Plus member, I can still get that upgrade.

Curious though, I asked for a crib, but they said only a max occupancy of two per room and recommended bringing a pack and play.
Ask the front desk staff for an "02" room, if they're in a good mood they'll give it to you. In addition to the large room, there is a good sized "hall", large enough for a cot or a crib or whatever.

Regardless definitely ask for a high floor park view when you check in, "02" being the primo corner ones.
ratnasam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 08, 11:39 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: SFO
Programs: UA1k 2.7mm,AA ex-EXP,Hy Glo,SPG LT Plt, Acc Plt,HH Dia,Onyx Plt,Mar Plt,IHG Plt,RR G,BW Dia,FPC Plt
Posts: 2,322
Originally Posted by BlissWorld View Post
Not anymore. It used to be $257 after SPG50. They raised their rack rates. It is now $300+
Ouch. I wouldn't pay $300+ per night in SF, even if I could afford it.
kevino is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: