Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Hotel Website: The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
Official List of Cosmopolitan Bonvoy Elite Benefits: https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/marriott-bonvoy-at-the-cosmopolitan-of-las-vegas

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, the only charges that qualify for Points are as follows:
- Room rate, room service food and beverage, in-room movies, phone calls and in-room minibar purchases
- Points cannot be earned on any other purchases at hotel outlets or for hotel services

The Cosmopolitan is a "resort," so basically the only elite benny is a possible upgrade. Elites are not exempt from the resort fee

Resort fee is $39+tax effective 01/01/2019. Also as of that date, parking (self & valet) is complimentary for hotel guests.

Cosmopolitan is exempt from providing free wifi to Plats per Marriott's T&Cs, however it is included with the mandatory $39 daily resort fee so there is still no extra charge to any guest for using it.

Platinums receive:

* use of Platinum check-in area (to the left of main desks)

* Platinum arrival gift is $10FB coupon or 1,000 points

* room upgrade (space available) - better luck on mid-week stays than weekend stays. sometimes a 'sandwich' (ie, bribe) to front desk does the trick.

* free tea/coffee 6am - noon in the plat lobby check-in area

* Wicked Spoon: Marriott Rewards Platinums (and PPs) get to use preferred line and get 15% discount when staying at the property. Just show your MR Plat or PP card.
You can book through Virtuoso as well as Amex FHR for complimentary breakfast buffet at Wicked spoon.

Resort fee:

* $39 (+ tax) per day for resort fee, which includes gym access, local + long distance calls, Wifi, pool access. The resort fee is not waived.

Receiving Bonvoy Points for a Stay:

Many have reported needing to follow up to have Marriott Bonvoy points manually posted post stay (they do not typically post automatically.) A tip is to email [email protected] shortly after a stay asking them to manually forward your folio to Marriott Bonvoy for processing.

Hat tip to billycwhatup for this:

* Identity points and MR points can not be earned on the same stay

Other tips

The Terrace Suites are the most common room type and are classified as studio and one bedroom, with options for King, 2 Queens with or without a fountain view. They are essentially the same size, however (10 sq ft difference), but the layouts differ.

The King Studio Suite has a standard bathroom with shower and tub, a living room area with large sitting area and an L shaped sofa and the bed is in a separate area, though not separated.

The King One BR Suite has the same kind of living room area, with the bedroom separated by sliding doors and the bathroom is larger, with a "soaking tub".

If you get a terrace suite of any kind with 2 Queens, the living area will be smaller.

And unless your room type is described as "fountain view", you aren't guaranteed it, though Platinum status will get you upgraded on check in if they have one available.

If you book any of these room types and want to aim higher, I would try a giving the receptionist a 50$ "sandwich", and ask if any wraparounds upgrades would be available. If they say yes, there is a good chance that it will be a wraparound facing south-east or south-west, which for me would be a no go. Taste in view is personal of course, but for me the fountain-Eiffel tower view are so much nicer than the south facing views. Also when you would have the choice between a low level wraparound or high level terrace suite, I would still take the high level terrace suite, because a number of floors on the east tower are blocked by the big Bellagio sign. (see youtube vids).

If you really want a high level wraparound then you probably would have to pay, which can sometimes be not that much. If I'm not mistaken I think they offered me a wraparound at 150$ per night more, but we originally booked a 1 bedroom terrace room without view.

Last tip : If you would get the choice of wraparound I would definitely take a high floor east tower one, facing north-east. That would give you bellagio fountain + eiffel tower view, but also a good portion of the south strip.

Print Wikipost

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Stay Review:
This was probably my 10th stay at Cosmo and probably one of the worst. Everything in perspective, it was still a nice stay but I didn't feel like a valued guest like I had at times in the past.

I stayed a few weeks ago on a promotion I booked around Xmas time, it was $109/nt with no resort fee. I stayed Thurs-Sun on 2 reservations (Thursday only, then Fri-Sun - the reason is not important) for a terrace studio. I am a Marriott gold so I am able to use the lounge, but when I walked by the check in desk it was wide open so I just went there. I don't know if this was a mistake or not. I'm supposed to get a free upgrade (when available) but I clearly did not get any kind of upgrade. I don't get the impression that they are aware that we are entitled to them when available.

When I checked in I asked for the Blvd tower. I was told that there were no rooms ready in that tower but I could wait or I could get a room in the Chelsea tower. I was anxious to settle in and start my day so I took the Chelsea room.

The room was a non-updated room and there were several (very minor) maintenance issues:
1. Toilet ran/filled every few minutes real briefly. Couldn't really hear it with the door closed.
2. The manual light controls on one side of the bed did not work, the lamp did on/off with the master controls.
3. The closet light did not work.
In addition, the room was just near the fire station.
We also found an empty bottle in the mini bar.

After one night in that room, I went to the lounge on Friday morning at around 9am to see if I could change rooms with my goal being to get into a room a) in the Blvd tower and b) without the maintenance issues. I was told no problem, they would call me when the room was ready.

About 20 minutes later, my phone rings and they give me a new room with a number very similar to the one I just left, just 2 floors higher. I told them I was supposed to get into the Blvd tower. They told me - at approximately 9:30am on Friday - that there were NO ROOMS available in that tower (despite lounge desk agent telling me no problem) and that was my only only option. I felt like I had been lied to. Why had the lounge agent not told me about the inventory issue, and how on earth could they be out of Terrace Studios or 1BD's at 9:30am on Friday before the weekend visitors all arrived? Sorry Cosmo, I don't believe you. But nothing I could do. I hate being lied to, that's the worst thing they could do to me and that kind of ruined the stay for me. There's no way that I believe they legitimately had no rooms in the Blvd tower for me. The new room at least had no maintenance issues, but still had plenty of fire truck action

Regarding $50 sandwiches:
At $50 the value is marginal depending on several factors. The view upgrade or Studio to 1BD upgrade is not going to cost you much more than $50 depending on your length of stay so you might as well book what you want. You'll never get a wrap-around upgrade with a $50 sandwich, in my opinion. I believe that $20 would be enough if you just want to try to make sure you get the tower and floor you want. It might be more worth $50 if you want a City --> Terrace upgrade.

Last edited by azmojo; Feb 21, 2018 at 5:14 pm
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Daily Resort Fee to increase from $35 to $39 effective 01/01/2019.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
After reading quite a few less than favorable reviews, it was with some concern I booked three nights using points.

One of the nicest hotel experiences I have had in a very long time! Room ready at 10AM , a complimentary upgrade to a balcony suite. At check-in I was asked if a 2pm checkout on the final day would be ok or did I need a later checkout.... Requested a refrigerator and one was brought up very quickly.

the only negative was that the Wicked Spoon buffet has really deteriorated in quality and the way they serve the food, really nothing that makes them special anymore.But certainly will be back for everything else!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:38 pm

Curious what advice you all might have about this plan...I have enough SPG points to convert and get two nights in a Terrace Suite or 2 BDR. However, when I started accumulating these points I really thought I was going to be able to use these points for a fountain view room. But, after much research and reading on here, that doesn't seem to be the case. So, I thought maybe I'd book two night with points and pay cash for a 3rd night in a fountain view (separate reservation). Then, at check in, ask about being able to stay in the same fountain view room the whole time. Maybe with a $20 or $50 sandwich. At the worst, I'll still get to stay in the fountain view room one night and at best we get it all three days. I'm also hoping the extra $$$ and asking nicely could get us in the Blvd Tower floors 20-30. I know it's asking a lot, but hoping it might pay off. We are going M-Th in August. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I realize many say you should just pay for what you want if it really matters that much, but we can stay at MGM properties for that same time frame for much less. It's difficult to do so when this plan saves us upwards of $300. That's a lot of time at the craps table :-)

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Krysia
After reading quite a few less than favorable reviews, it was with some concern I booked three nights using points.

One of the nicest hotel experiences I have had in a very long time! Room ready at 10AM , a complimentary upgrade to a balcony suite. At check-in I was asked if a 2pm checkout on the final day would be ok or did I need a later checkout.... Requested a refrigerator and one was brought up very quickly.

the only negative was that the Wicked Spoon buffet has really deteriorated in quality and the way they serve the food, really nothing that makes them special anymore.But certainly will be back for everything else!
Just wondering what has changed in "the way they serve the food" ?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by musicmcb
Curious what advice you all might have about this plan...I have enough SPG points to convert and get two nights in a Terrace Suite or 2 BDR. However, when I started accumulating these points I really thought I was going to be able to use these points for a fountain view room. But, after much research and reading on here, that doesn't seem to be the case. So, I thought maybe I'd book two night with points and pay cash for a 3rd night in a fountain view (separate reservation). Then, at check in, ask about being able to stay in the same fountain view room the whole time. Maybe with a $20 or $50 sandwich. At the worst, I'll still get to stay in the fountain view room one night and at best we get it all three days. I'm also hoping the extra $$$ and asking nicely could get us in the Blvd Tower floors 20-30. I know it's asking a lot, but hoping it might pay off. We are going M-Th in August. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I realize many say you should just pay for what you want if it really matters that much, but we can stay at MGM properties for that same time frame for much less. It's difficult to do so when this plan saves us upwards of $300. That's a lot of time at the craps table :-)

Thanks in advance!!!
What is the paid rate for your 3 nights it seems like not a good use of points.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by musicmcb
I'd do a terrace studio. Was there a specific reason you wanted a terrace suite? I certainly wouldn't do the 2 bedroom city suite because the balconies are what make The Cosmopolitan special.

You might book the room on points and then call the hotel directly and ask about confirmed pain upgrades to fountain view.

ERQ
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
What is the paid rate for your 3 nights it seems like not a good use of points.
Three nights in a Terrace Studio FV is $784 with a promo for brunch for 2 at Wicked Spoon. Same promo in a Terrace One Bedroom FV is $809. But we just aren't going to pay that much to stay there when we can go to MGM for $300. Was looking at this as an opoprtunity to stay somewhere we wouldn't otherwise and get in on the fountain view terrace rooms.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium & LT Gold
Any updated data points on what Gold Elite get at the property?
Old May 31, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by fmisle
I assume you are talking about the new Gold after August 1.

Data points? No. But after 9 years and over 100 nights at this property my guess is going to be: absolutely nothing.

Current Platinum barely gets anything of note here, let alone current Gold. Dont hold your breath on any special benefits for new Gold.

As a Current Plat Premier (and a Platinum in Cosmopolitans Identity program), I have to fight for anything after a 1pm checkout. Unless I personally know the check in agent, any comp upgrade is to a fountain view in my current room category.
markko likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by fmisle
Lounge check-in - that's it
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by azmojo
Stay Review:
This was probably my 10th stay at Cosmo and probably one of the worst. Everything in perspective, it was still a nice stay but I didn't feel like a valued guest like I had at times in the past.

I stayed a few weeks ago on a promotion I booked around Xmas time, it was $109/nt with no resort fee. I stayed Thurs-Sun on 2 reservations (Thursday only, then Fri-Sun - the reason is not important) for a terrace studio. I am a Marriott gold so I am able to use the lounge, but when I walked by the check in desk it was wide open so I just went there. I don't know if this was a mistake or not. I'm supposed to get a free upgrade (when available) but I clearly did not get any kind of upgrade. I don't get the impression that they are aware that we are entitled to them when available.

When I checked in I asked for the Blvd tower. I was told that there were no rooms ready in that tower but I could wait or I could get a room in the Chelsea tower. I was anxious to settle in and start my day so I took the Chelsea room.

The room was a non-updated room and there were several (very minor) maintenance issues:
1. Toilet ran/filled every few minutes real briefly. Couldn't really hear it with the door closed.
2. The manual light controls on one side of the bed did not work, the lamp did on/off with the master controls.
3. The closet light did not work.
In addition, the room was just near the fire station.
We also found an empty bottle in the mini bar.

After one night in that room, I went to the lounge on Friday morning at around 9am to see if I could change rooms with my goal being to get into a room a) in the Blvd tower and b) without the maintenance issues. I was told no problem, they would call me when the room was ready.

About 20 minutes later, my phone rings and they give me a new room with a number very similar to the one I just left, just 2 floors higher. I told them I was supposed to get into the Blvd tower. They told me - at approximately 9:30am on Friday - that there were NO ROOMS available in that tower (despite lounge desk agent telling me no problem) and that was my only only option. I felt like I had been lied to. Why had the lounge agent not told me about the inventory issue, and how on earth could they be out of Terrace Studios or 1BD's at 9:30am on Friday before the weekend visitors all arrived? Sorry Cosmo, I don't believe you. But nothing I could do. I hate being lied to, that's the worst thing they could do to me and that kind of ruined the stay for me. There's no way that I believe they legitimately had no rooms in the Blvd tower for me. The new room at least had no maintenance issues, but still had plenty of fire truck action

Regarding $50 sandwiches:
At $50 the value is marginal depending on several factors. The view upgrade or Studio to 1BD upgrade is not going to cost you much more than $50 depending on your length of stay so you might as well book what you want. You'll never get a wrap-around upgrade with a $50 sandwich, in my opinion. I believe that $20 would be enough if you just want to try to make sure you get the tower and floor you want. It might be more worth $50 if you want a City --> Terrace upgrade.
I take it there is no Marriott representative at Cosmo, akin to general manager? Seems appropriate to voice your displeasure, but I would contact Marriott instead of going through Cosmo. Half there emails don't even work on the contact us page. And, unless it's a serious problem this large hotel will more than likely just brush off your complaints.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by TommyC80

I assume you are talking about the new Gold after August 1.

Data points? No. But after 9 years and over 100 nights at this property my guess is going to be: absolutely nothing.

Current Platinum barely gets anything of note here, let alone current Gold. Dont hold your breath on any special benefits for new Gold.

As a Current Plat Premier (and a Platinum in Cosmopolitans Identity program), I have to fight for anything after a 1pm checkout. Unless I personally know the check in agent, any comp upgrade is to a fountain view in my current room category.
Ive been curious since the new program and benefits were announced how the Cosmopolitan are going to handle (or weasel out of) then new breakfast benefit.

I loved the Wicked Spoon breakfast/brunch that was comped for Plats the first year the hotel was opened before it become a resort I cant see them offering this again though!?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
I take it there is no Marriott representative at Cosmo, akin to general manager? Seems appropriate to voice your displeasure, but I would contact Marriott instead of going through Cosmo. Half there emails don't even work on the contact us page. And, unless it's a serious problem this large hotel will more than likely just brush off your complaints.
The Cosmopolitan is in the "twilight zone" that Marriott calls Autograph Collection. An affiliation with Marriott that permits guests to earn and burn points. But there are scant benefits of the MR program that apply to guests here; sometimes a one class upgrade. The in-house Identity Membership and Rewards program is far more comprehensive.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by oxfordjames
I’ve been curious since the new program and benefits were announced how the Cosmopolitan are going to handle (or weasel out of) then new breakfast benefit.

I loved the Wicked Spoon breakfast/brunch that was comped for Plats the first year the hotel was opened before it become a “resort” I can’t see them offering this again though!?
So is it then safe to say then that prior to August 1st, Platinums do not get free breakfast at all? Also my room rate qualifies me for $150USD food/beverage credit during my stay. Any idea on whether or not this applies at all restaurants at the hotel or if there are certain exceptions?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.