Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Alternate: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2007, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
State Fan,

That Marriott Property is one of few in Sydney and quite a few Platinums stay there. I am not sure what the likelyhood of the upgrade is (probably depends on a few factors) but there is some good competition for those upgrades. If you really want an upgrade, I would call them a few days before your arrival and request it.

camachinist,

You may want to go to the c-lounge and talk to the concierges there. They are top notch (at least they were when I was there). I forget what the name of the girl is but she was outstanding in helping me out with things. If you mention the lack of Moet & chocolates they will probably make things right.

And they have very good hors d'oeuvres as well as several types of alcohol (beer, wine, chapaigne, hard liquors) in the evening up in the lounge.

And off topic....But if you have time and desire...I recommend the Harbour bridge climb. Amazing views and you feel like you're on top of the world. (It's even not too bad if you're afraid of heights...I am to some extent and I wasn't afraid at all...)
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Thanks for the tips. I was pooped yesterday so my wife went up to the lounge for some snacks. Very nice. I'll talk to them today.

Our friend who lives in Picton took us across the bridge a couple times, to and from, when going to a concert, so we saw the day and night version. My wife took one look at that and said "no way" in regards to the bridge climb. We did get the Sydney Pass (excellent value) and will use the heck out of it this week.

On-topic (as a trip report is decidedly OT), part of what makes for a higher Category property, in addition to the price/points required, is a requisite increase in the service level and competence of the staff. I've found, in my interactions, that things seem like a ship without a rudder. Truthfully, I don't stay at full service Marriotts that often, but the last time I stayed at one, in Dana Point (Cliffs Resort), things were just taken care of, almost without notice and such mundane things like housekeeping and food trolleys were the furthest from our minds, and this on a 50/nt Priceline stay. That was where I first read Bill Marriott's book.

Edited to add, for housekeeping...
Towels requested- Extra towels noted in our profile.... bath linens received for two people? Two bath towels and two washcloths, no face towels.
Executive level toiletries requested - none received
Turndown service requested - none received

Question for those who stay often at Marriotts - When two people are staying in a room, must one be precise when asking for linens? I said "Housekeeping did not service our room today and we need the normal compliment of bath linens", which to me means what they put in the bathroom when servicing it, based on the guests in the room and the guest preferences. See, in my mind, when a customer says, "Pat, I need you to reseal that hydraulic cylinder; the rod is leaking", I don't expect them to say "Pat, I need one head seal, two piston seals, one wiper, two o-rings and a guide ring" , even if they know what is inside the thing. Being competent, I ask them "does the cylinder still operate fine, just with a rod leak? If so, I can save you money and time by just replacing that seal, or I can do the whole cylinder". That's what customer service is about. A customer should not have to know the "product" better than the vendor to receive competent service.

I will advise the staff at the executive lounge this morning of such (although I'm pretty sure it's far afield of their responsibilities) and see what happens. Experiment

Pat

Last edited by camachinist; Jan 14, 2007 at 1:38 pm
Old Jan 14, 2007, 2:24 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by State fan
I've booked a standard award stay at this property for June with the expectation I will be upgraded due to my Platinum status (as I have at every other Cat 6 property where I've booked an award stay). Can anyone confirm or deny this will likely happen?
I am a platinum, and have always been given Executive Floor access. Once I had a room with a nice view of the Opera House. The Executive Lounge has excellent food offerings morning and evening, and you definitely want access.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:48 pm

Agreed. We just had breakfast there and it was excellent. The staff is very friendly and professional and the food selection was quite good. I'll get there early one day and take some pictures. Unfortunately, there was no one on duty that appeared to have the requisite experience to escalate our concerns effectively. I'll continue to look for that.

Pat
Old Jan 14, 2007, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I will share a story about the Sydney Harbour Marriott from July 2006 (e.g., six months ago). I was at the time a lowly Silver owing to a lean business travel year (but that's another story).

My wife, son and I stayed at the Harbour Marriott for a week at the tail end of an Oz tour during which we also stayed at the other Sydney CBD Marriott overlooking Hyde Park and the Marriott Brisbane -- both just fine.

When checking into the Harbour Marriott I was asked to initial a room rate somewhat higher (about AUS$50) than the rate I'd booked. It seemed we had been upgraded to an Opera House view room, which was fine, but our rate had been upgraded too, which was not fine. However, wife and son were both standing right there rooting for the nicer room, and Dad didn't want to look like a cheapskate, so... okay, I initialed.

That done, the desk clerk proceeded to give me a pretty hard sell on the virtues of Executive Lounge access. Both other Marriotts we'd visited had comped me lounge access, so it took me a moment to understand that she was strongly suggesting I pay AUS$80 a day for it. When I paused to process this, she said it would be a great deal because kids eat breakfast free up there -- an argument so absurd I laughed and said no, thanks.

I said, gently, that I understood Silvers were not automatically entitled to certain privileges, but at our prior two Marriotts of the trip we had been given executive-floor rooms and lounge access, and I found the contrast interesting. "Oh, well, they're franchised properties, so they can do that," she said immediately. "We're a corporate property, so we can't do anything of the sort."

So we went upstairs to our very nice Opera House view room, I chewed this over for awhile, then after a day or two I filled out the comment card, rating the check-in process as "poor." Bear in mind that I had requested neither a room upgrade nor lounge access, but did not like having the first, with associated rate hike, forced on me, and being given a used car salesman's arm-twist to buy the second.

I left the card in the room one morning and when we returned in the evening it had gone missing. I thought perhaps the housekeeper had binned it until I listened to our phone messages. The desk manager was in receipt of the card, was most concerned, and would I contact him please?

I ended up having a very civil talk with the desk manager at checkout time, during which he conceded they were running a fairly aggressive upsell / revenue enhancement scheme to get more guests to buy into the executive lounge, but was mystified at why we'd been made to pay a higher rate tier than booked, and said the desk clerk was "completely mistaken" about franchise versus corporate powers and he'd discussed it with her. He ended up adjusting our bill to show the originally booked rate and picked up some laundry charges. He would've comped some breakfasts too, he said, but there weren't any. I had taken quiet revenge by organizing all our meals off-hotel.

I felt that of the three Marriotts on our Oz trip, the Sydney Harbour was the most opulent but the one we liked least... not because it did not come up with benefits a Silver isn't technically meant to have -- I don't care that much about lounge access, especially when I'm with my kid -- but because of the weird welcome, and the queasy feeling that we were just an upsell target for the front desk.

The Brisbane property we all loved -- full of sweet, energetic service professionals -- we'd go back there in a minute.

Last edited by BearX220; Jan 14, 2007 at 6:01 pm
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I stayed in this hotel for a week in December of 2005. I was a Gold member, so they upgraded me to a Opera House view room and gave me lounge access. The staff was quite nice, and I found the hotel very welcoming and a notch above other properties. The location couldn't be beat, and the lounge certainly had quite the selection for breakfast and "dinner". ^ In fact, only the Marriott on the Magnificant Mile in Chicago has a better breakfast, but Sydney beats their dinner by a long shot.

If I ever get to back to Sydney, I certainly plan to stay at the hotel again. I would rate my stay as one of the best I've had at a Marriott. No real complaints except the $$ for high-speed internet, but that's a given at most Marriotts it seems.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 6:16 am

Evening hors de 'ouvres and staff at the executive lounge are still top notch. I'll try to get some pix when during a quiet moment. As luck would have it, the "turndown service" cart was making its rounds on the 30th floor last night so my wife checked out the ammenties. No different than on our floor, so not the "upgraded ammenities" that were advertised. Also, evidently, turndown service does not exist for executive rooms not on executive floors.

There is free wireless internet at the executive lounge but I did get asked if I had "any issues getting the most current password". Since I had purchased a week of access (for 99.95 AUD), my computer works there without any additional password. I'll inquire further on that subject today.

BTW, the "champagne" in the lounge last night appeared to be the same Willowglenn sparkler we received as our "Moet" for our package. Good selection of liquor and mixers, though Smirnoff isn't my most favorite idea of vodka.

I noted the lounge staff more persistent about guests signing in for evening access, as I'm sure they get poachers there, since there has been no card access limits during our stay. Anyone can just watch the elevator to see if a guest swipes their card to gain executive floor access on floor 30, and then just ride on up with them. My favorite so far was a nice gentleman who rode up with us and kept pushing the floor 30 button when entering, saying "his wife had his card". I fixed him right up

The stay now is what a CAT6 stay (or a stay in any Marriott) should be, but corporate will still get a full report on how it began. Since I'll be paying for it with a Marriott Vacation Card, any wagers as to how difficult checkout is going to be? Should I give them advance notice so they can "get it right"?

Nice location and staff. Make the first two days and 600.00 worth of frustration go away and I'm a satisfied customer....

***Edited to add, as an epilogue, that Marriott made a humongus mistake in my favor, which I'll not go into, that more than compensated me for my frustrations. Actually they made two, but the first one was so surprising for a corporate property. I got my pound of flesh and rightfully so, IMO. All the rest of our stays in Australia, at IHG properties, also on points, were flawless.***

Pat

Last edited by camachinist; Mar 9, 2007 at 8:16 pm
Old Apr 16, 2007, 3:58 am

SYD: Circular Quay Marriott or Westin?

I am trying to decide between staying on club floor of either of these 2 properties for a tourist experience. The photos of the rooms at the Marriott appear to be on the small side, but it is a bit closer to the hub of tourist activities. Which is better?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P, MR PLT Premier, National Exec Elite
I've stayed at the Harbour Marriott on the club level and it was excellent. The concierge lounge was well-staffed and well-stocked. Plus being right on the quay made it easy to get around. I agree that the rooms are average size but my feeling is that this was overshadowed by the location.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, Marriott PLT, Hilton GLD, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
I've stayed at the Marriott a couple of times, and will return again next month. Rooms are fine I found, lounge is good and the location is perfect for many of the key Sydney tourist things - you're within a 5-10 minute walk of the main shopping area, the Sydney Harbour Bridge, The Rocks, the Opera House, harbour ferries etc.

They've also got an Avis hire car desk right in the building too, very easy then just to hire a car for a day if you fancy say a drive out in to the Blue Mountains.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, DL Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
I just posted this thread over in the Australia forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=681119

Despite the lack of a view and being a stone's throw away from Circular Quay, I am going with the Westin.
Old May 22, 2007, 3:48 pm

Marriott Sydney Harbour @ Circular Quay or Radisson Plaza?

For those who may have been to both locations.....Would you prefer one over the other? What are the pros/cons to each? Tripadvisor has very high reviews for both. The hot-point for Marriott Sydney Harbour is the proximity to the Opera House (overlooking rooms).
Old May 23, 2007, 5:04 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I stayed at the Sydney Harbour and it was great. My room overlooked the Opera house, and it's at a very good location. Staff is quite friendly, and the conceirge room has a nice breakfast and light dinner. I'd highly recommend it, and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't solely base your choice on the view out the window. Usually when I'm on vacation I'm rarely in the room and seeing the opera house up close is much more rewarding. But the Marriott staff there is top notch, so I'd strongly vote for it and some rooms have the view to boot!
Old May 23, 2007, 5:53 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'm at the Sydney harbor right now. If I can answer any specific questions, fire away.

I have not stayed at the Raddison, however.

I do have a view from my room of the opera house.

The exec lounge is quite nice. Have only eaten breakfast there, and more than half of my nights it suffices for dinner as well.

Internet is A$99 for a week, and works quite well.

Haven't eaten at the resturant, but have had room service, and the food quality is good (except for the Marriott burger, which is normally excellent everywhere). Something different about the burger.

Location is great. I've stayed at the other marriott, and almost did again, but I sure am glad I stayed here. You feel like you're right in the middle of everything. Great transportation options and you can walk almost anywhere.

Rooms are a bit smallish, but my room has enough room for a rollaway bed.

Room is refreshed twice a day with turndown service.

Overall, we're having a blast - I'd probably enjoy the Raddison just as well, but the Marriott Rewards program and the perks keep me coming back!

Billy
Old May 23, 2007, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, AL MVP Gold, MR Plat, HH Silver
The Marriott Sydney Harbour is great; especially the location. Close to Circular Quay, The Rocks, Opera House and shopping such as Victorian Mall, all within a short walk. The CR is excellent as well and if you can get one of the window seats, great views at sunrise and sunset.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.