Canadian SPG American Express

Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso

It's a certificate that can be used on a hotel costing up to 35,000 points or night per https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...686796011.html
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why not simply look at the new award chart? I think you'll see that you're wrong on that count.

https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change
Oh wow - I am totally wrong! I didn't even know the new chart was out! A lot of the properties I stay at have gone DOWN! Needless to say, I am pleasantly surprised - and quite happy. Thanks for the info!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by martyYOW
It looks like something is coming.

This is from a letter I just received from Amex in regards to the changes:

Coming Soon - Elite Nights
American Express will be announcing a new annual credit for nights towards Elite status by the new year.
This would tie in with the US cards giving the night credit starting in 2019
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:54 am

AmEX SPMarriott Letter Scan & Summary

Originally Posted by Jared Ito
Did the letter say anything else?
I've received a similar letter today for my Canadian AmEx SPMarriott card and have taken a scan of the letter for fellow FTers to see in the meantime, which you'll find here.

To summarise:
  1. Earn rate is 5 points per dollar at SPMarriott properties and 2 points everywhere else
  2. Free night certificate which can be redeemed at properties costing up to 35,000 points per night
  3. Ability to earn one final free night certificate for properties costing up to 35,000 points per night once you spend $40,000 in purchases before your annual reset/anniversary date
  4. Complimentary Silver status with the ability to get Gold status after charging $30,000 in purchases each year
  5. Complimentary Premium Internet Access
  6. Complimentary Supplementary Cards
  7. Elite night credits to be announced by end of year
One question that's unanswered to me is how supplementary cards work in this program. For instance, if my SO has a supplementary SPMarriott Card will they also get complimentary silver, elite night credits and a free night certificate?

In any event, I suspect this card could become a keeper, especially if those free night certificates can be used in lucrative ways (i.e. booking a New Year's eve at a Marriott in NY anyone?) The points devaluation is a bit of a bummer for me but most of the time I use my Gold AmEx since I find MR points to be more valuable with airline partners and the various redemptions options available.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:01 am

Elite night credits to be announced by end of year? Is this new?

I never received such an email?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Bravada04
Elite night credits to be announced by end of year? Is this new?

I never received such an email?
This was in a mailed sheet, not in any emails. I received it yesterday for each of our accounts.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:06 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joeags
This was in a mailed sheet, not in any emails. I received it yesterday for each of our accounts.
Received it too; everything (except for elite nights credit) goes into effect on August 4th.

So for those whose Chase Marriott renewed this year, I believe they had double the elite nights credit (30 nights), and will also receive this new night credit... lucky!
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:12 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Absolute
Received it too; everything (except for elite nights credit) goes into effect on August 4th.

So for those whose Chase Marriott renewed this year, I believe they had double the elite nights credit (30 nights), and will also receive this new night credit... lucky!
I thought Chase VISA completely pulled out of Canada already in March 2018. All former Chase VISA card holders no longer have those cards.

If those members are lucky enough to renewal in Jan or Feb (and then got a pro-rated refunds in March), then they got some free nights this year to qualify for status for 2019.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I thought Chase VISA completely pulled out of Canada already in March 2018. All former Chase VISA card holders no longer have those cards.

If those members are lucky enough to renewal in Jan or Feb (and then got a pro-rated refunds in March), then they got some free nights this year to qualify for status for 2019.
Everyone who kept the card until the end got 15 nights for this year / counting for 2019 status.
By the way I don't expect to get another 15 nights for this year. By the way is it really 15 nights ? Or is this link to spending ? To try to keep people using the card for something else than Marriott spending ? We will have to see...
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:44 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Those letters

Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:32 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Some advice please from those with experience with SPG and American Express Canada.

We have 4 of these cards in our household; two business and two personal. Since the business card earns 3 points on eligible gas, dining and travel for $20 extra in fee per year, can I ditch the SPG personal cards and treat the SPG business card as a personal card to gain access to the increased gas, dining and travel points?

I would probably then get another American Express card (likely Platinum) then treat the new business Platinum card as the real biz card (deduct the fee with actual business expenses) and the old SPG Business Amex as the everyday personal card.

A reasonable strategy?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:55 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Some advice please from those with experience with SPG and American Express Canada.

We have 4 of these cards in our household; two business and two personal. Since the business card earns 3 points on eligible gas, dining and travel for $20 extra in fee per year, can I ditch the SPG personal cards and treat the SPG business card as a personal card to gain access to the increased gas, dining and travel points?

I would probably then get another American Express card (likely Platinum) then treat the new business Platinum card as the real biz card (deduct the fee with actual business expenses) and the old SPG Business Amex as the everyday personal card.

A reasonable strategy?
We don't know what the new annual fees are going to be yet. Assuming it is the same, then the Personal card cost $120 and business card is at $150 - 30 difference.

There are some questions I have with AMEX remains unknown. Will AMEX Membership Rewards be able to transfer to the new Marriott/SPG program? What would the transfer ratio be? The AMEX MR to SPG ratio (2:1) we have now is better than the US version (3:1). But it is possible AMEX can cut off the transfer Aug 1 or significantly devalue the transfer ratio to the new program.

The SPG Business cost $30 more and cost $50 per additional card holder - whereas the personal card is free for additional card holder. The benefit is 1 extra point on gas and dining. Assuming a penny a point, you need to spend at least $3000 to break even. If you add mom/wife/kids as supplementary card holder, they will each cost $50 (so additional $5000/person spend on gas, dining, travel to make additional card holder to make back the annual fee compared to the personal SPG AMEX).

Finally, AMEX Plat has a very solid travel insurance and stuff when you buy tickets with the Plat card. Those loss/delays luggage insurance and flight delay I have used in the past and the Plat card covers amounts higher than the SPG AMEX. So naturally, you would want to book flights on the AMEX Plat than on the SPG AMEX.

All in all, the difference isn't significant enough for me to do the business SPG other than a potential welcome bonus....
emilio911 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Marriott*Plutonium Lifetime, other stuff
Data point if people are interested:

My spend c. $C50k per annum, held SPG Amex for 3 years.

Called to point out as a lifetime Marriott Plat the benefits aren't interesting, so it seems all devaluation.

Got nothing offered, even when I said I would cancel after I reached the $40k free night.

TM
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I just called and canceled my SPG Amex. I got it for the bonus but only used it a few times. Not as readily accepted and 90% of my travel is in foreign currencies. I refuse to pay a "currency conversion convenience fee" that it is calculated on the converted amount which isn't favourable to start with. Amex, once no longer accepted at Costco, has no value for me. The devaluation from 3 MR points to 2 New Program Points was the icing on the cake. 33% devaluation in points requires 50% more spend to recover.

Foriegn Currency Example:

Lets use a round figure for illustration.
1US$ = 1.35CAD$. Foreing exchange fee 2.5%

Charge US $1000.
Conversion rate with fee 1.35 + 1.35×0.025 = 1.38375
Charge in Canadian $1,383.75; a 3.375% premium over the exchange rate. Not 1.35 + 0.025 = 1.3725 as one may expect.

No thanks! On $40K CAD equivalent in foreign currency charged to you card you are paying $1000 CAD.

In my particular case, it doesn't warrant holding it.

James
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I just called and canceled my SPG Amex.
Okay. Myself, I'm going to hold onto the card at least until August.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Foriegn Currency Example:

Lets use a round figure for illustration.
1US$ = 1.35CAD$. Foreing exchange fee 2.5%

Charge US $1000.
Conversion rate with fee 1.35 + 1.35×0.025 = 1.38375
Charge in Canadian $1,383.75; a 3.375% premium over the exchange rate. Not 1.35 + 0.025 = 1.3725 as one may expect.
Yes, this is the number I would expect.
In this case, the amount charged to the card is $1,350, not $1,000. 1350.00 x (1 + 2.5%) = 1383.75.
Sounds like standard currency conversion fee calculation.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
My SPG Business card is up for renewal July 19th. I assume I'm best off cancelling the card, and then reapplying in a few months (perhaps for the personal) - since otherwise I would have to wait until July 2019 for my free night certificate!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.