Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6
Check the bottom of the last page of your last AMEX SPG PDF or printed statement. There should be two boxes in the middle or right hand side in the Starwood Perferred Guest Awards section:

SPG Awards
Annual Reset Date:

Net Purchases
To Date $:

Reports on the USA Amex SPG card in another flyertalk thread are indicating that the free night certificate is posting on the 2nd of the month. (Oct 2, Nov 2).
I had these on previous statements with September 27 as a reset date. This last statement I had no points earned and therefore the statement omits the award section, thus no date reference.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: AC E35K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by standing01
Looks like folks in the US have started getting their Amex SPG free night certificates posting to their account.. Anyone with the Canadian version have anything posted in their account yet?
It's been a month since you asked, but I saw my free night certificate post last week:

Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by geffie
It's been a month since you asked, but I saw my free night certificate post last week:
Awesome, that's great news. Thanks for sharing!

Do you recall when your annual fee posted or what your annual reset date is? Just trying to get an idea of how long it's taking up here in Canada for the AMEX free night certificate to post.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
Mine posted 10/29 for a Late August renewal....

Larger question on a different SPG card is I just rolled through 40K spend on a May reset date, given a free night was the deal then for 40K spend, should I expect that night to be awarded?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by scotchmeup

Larger question on a different SPG card is I just rolled through 40K spend on a May reset date, given a free night was the deal then for 40K spend, should I expect that night to be awarded?
I received a 40k spend certificate in early September, so I believe you will also within days of the transaction posting.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: AC E35K, Marriott Platinum Premier

Do you recall when your annual fee posted or what your annual reset date is? Just trying to get an idea of how long it's taking up here in Canada for the AMEX free night certificate to post.
My annual reset date is January 21. So I might be in the front of the pack!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
thanks! good to hear
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:59 am

I called Amex Canada since my anniversary was Sept.20 and didn't receive the cert., I was advised that it takes 8-10 weeks from anniversary.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by scotchmeup
My annual fee was charged Sept. 26, (for my Aug 27-Sept. 26th statement). I still don't have my free night posted (even after receiving my Sept. 27-Oct 26th statement).

Based on your experience, mine should post after my Oct. 27 - Nov 26th statement is generated, correct?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:48 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I've been scanning the forums, but haven't seen anything about our new Elite Qualifying nights? Still waiting to see how many nights we'll be given... even if it'll probably be too late for me to count on them towards lifetime for this year.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:39 pm

My renewal was in early Oct, didnt get the free night award. I called in and they told me that i'm still under the old system and I need to spend $40K to get a free night and that the next renewal I will get a free night.
Might as well cancel and churn it.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by spark787
My renewal was in early Oct, didnt get the free night award. I called in and they told me that i'm still under the old system and I need to spend $40K to get a free night and that the next renewal I will get a free night.
What? That’s crazy. I thought the old system expired on Aug 1.

I’d call back and ask for 3 pts/$ if I was still on the old system!
makin'miles and Yul_voyager like this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:49 pm

That can’t be true

Originally Posted by spark787

but if it is true, when did or does the new system start, I can’t see anything in the small print that suggests that what they told you is correct.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:54 pm

Like you absolute, I am keenly waiting on this

Originally Posted by Absolute
I've been scanning the forums, but haven't seen anything about our new Elite Qualifying nights? Still waiting to see how many nights we'll be given... even if it'll probably be too late for me to count on them towards lifetime for this year.

i don’t imagine that it affects a lot of cardholders, but I would think that it affects the biggest spenders. I was at close to a million a year , and am at zero since they held off providing this simple piece of information. If they don’t supply this information in December as promised as well as provide the same 15 elite night credits as the five Marriott and or starwood chase and or Amex cards provide in the USA, they are likely to lose me.

they can pretend to newbies that the silver offered is a valuable elite level, or that the gold after considerable spend gives something , but their longtime and more knowledgeable customers know they are offering empty benefits,

amex, please keep me , please do the right thing.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by margarita girl
What? That’s crazy. I thought the old system expired on Aug 1.

When I called in the supervisor was suggesting the cutoff date was Aug 8th or Aug 15th for the annual reset date (see last page of your statement). The annual reset date is typically one month before your annual fee posts.

If your reset date is after August 15th I would suggest calling back as there seems to be some confusion with the call center agents. I was originally told that I would be getting the annual certificate with a reset date of late July (and the annual fee posting late August). However when the annual free night never showed up after 10 weeks I called back and the agent said I was on the old system and wouldn't be getting it. I can't even see my Marriott activity online so I had to call in to check to see if the certificate posted. Amex really needs to do something here as it hasn't been clear what is happening regarding certificates and elite qualifying nights otherwise they are likely going to start losing customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.