Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by bizaro86
I also recently got the aeroplan amex gold, mainly for the 20,000 sign up bonus.

Does anyone know Amex's policy on changing cards? I'd like to switch to the SPG Amex from the aeroplan Amex, to avoid an extra hit on my credit report and an extra $120 fee. Would I still get the SPG sign up bonus?

Michael
I think I will be signing up for the Amex Aerogold with the 20K bonus over the SPG Amex.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs down No way!

$120 for this card makes it a definite no go for me. Also, as far as being competitive to Avion for example, will it provide 15 day out of country medical, trip interruption insurance, baggage insurance? Likely not! Amex is also not accepted at many merchants so this is a really poor choice for a card in Canada.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by platSPGmember
Kerlo, message wasn't directed at you but directed at superdawg,,sorry
Not sure I agree with the comment that it's inline with other fees on other credit cards,,,so just because other credit cards charge high fees it's okay to simply accept the norm??
Not to mention it's an Amex,,,Amex for those who may not be aware is hard to use in different parts of the world. I had an Amex years ago and found that in about 50% of the time vendors didn't accept the card. Visa and Mastercard take a 3-4% premium from a vendor, Amex takes 7-8%. Now you know why vendors don't bother with Amex your screwing the vendor everytime you use the card
I never said it was a good thing or agree with it, just mainly giving our neighbours to the South some more insight into the Canadian Credit Card market, which of course has higher annual fees then the U.S. for these types of cards. The big drawback of course is for past MBNA SPG cardholders as the card was free with full insurance benefits, whereas the AMEX card only gives a bit more in rewards for a lot higher fee.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz President's Club, VIA Premier
The $120 fee hardly makes this a sweet deal so I'm out.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by greenlotus
I'm a little dissapointed aobut the $120 annual fee also. Just a few weeks ago I got the Aeroplan AMEX because of the 20,000 aeroplan welcome bonus. I was definitely going to get this card when it came out. Now I will have to re-evaluate my decision.
was excited, but not so much. platinum amex will give me all I need, I guess. sorry I missed the SPG mastercard.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by platSPGmember
Visa and Mastercard take a 3-4% premium from a vendor, Amex takes 7-8%. Now you know why vendors don't bother with Amex your screwing the vendor everytime you use the card
Visa and MC take about 1.75% in Canada for average retailers that are members of any organization like CFIB or their Chamber of Commerce, or they can quite easily negotiate to get about that rate.

Amex takes 3-5%, depending on volume. Standard for independent restaurants is about 3.5%

So Amex costs about twice as much to take as Visa/MC, thus lower acceptance.

I find in New Brunswick most retailers take amex, but there are still some who do not.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by superdawg
$120 may seem high to the U.S. cardholders or previous MBNA SPG cardholders but it is right inline with pretty much every other card in Canada that offers similar rewards or benefits.
I agree, since it seems this card is directed at CIBC Aerogold and RBC Avion, that is probably why they line-priced it.

With the prevalence of CIBC Aerogold cards, I think their target market has already accepted high annual fees and will pay it.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
What a joke...

....$120...no chance I just cancelled my Aeroplan AMEX cuz I was gonna switch to this card...my expectation was $50...so here I come CIBC Aeroplan Visa.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: *wood gold, aeroplan
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
$120 for this card makes it a definite no go for me. Also, as far as being competitive to Avion for example, will it provide 15 day out of country medical, trip interruption insurance, baggage insurance? Likely not! Amex is also not accepted at many merchants so this is a really poor choice for a card in Canada.

My sentiments exactly. $120 fee for an AMEX is a little steep considering I'll have to keep a Visa/MC to actually use at most retailers.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
I wonder if $120 annual fee will buy the ability to transfer to Aeroplan, or will there be a restriction on transferring points as there was with the MBNA card.

I was going to apply, but since I just got an Aerogold card there's no way I'm going to maintain 2 cards with high annual fees.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by will5404
I wonder if $120 annual fee will buy the ability to transfer to Aeroplan, or will there be a restriction on transferring points as there was with the MBNA card.

I was going to apply, but since I just got an Aerogold card there's no way I'm going to maintain 2 cards with high annual fees.
Nowadays it doesn't really matter since they pretty much lifted that restriction. Though it's MBNA no more next week.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: SPG member
Unhappy

Rather disappointing to say the least.

$120 CDN is high IMHO. To gain more popularity and differentiate with the other cards, Amex could have gone a bit more affordable or even made the first year fee-waived to make current MBNA customers migrate smoothly. I was thinking it would be in the range of $50-$75 CDN.

It will be interesting to see how much additional cards costs. I hope that they are included but not holding my breath at this point. It looks like in Canada, there is less competition so firms pretty much do whatever they want when it comes to pricing. Sigh.

I also agree with the posts that Amex is not widely used/accepted in Canada. With the MBNA card, we would put everything on it (groceries, gas, etc.) and easily get to the $30K-$40K mark annually but with less choices for acceptance and fees for primary (and additional cards), I am not so sure about this card anymore.

I have the Shopper's Drugmart MBNA as my MC backup but it might become my main one for now until I rethink all the options.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
I assume Amex Canada priced it at $120 so as not to cannibalize their Aeroplan Gold Card, which is also $120. Nonetheless, I too am disappointed. Hopefully at the very least the SPG card will have 2 free supplementary cards like the Aeroplan offers.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, Alaska MVP Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond
Wow, what a disappointment...but I'm not really surprised. I always thought the Canadian version of the Marriott Chase Visa card was a bad deal (in terms of offering a lot less compared to the US version) but this one takes the gold now (especially for personal use). I think I might even consider the Marriott Rewards Platinum Visa card now....10 000 points, a free night stay, 1 point per $ and $75 fee with that one.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
i do not understand the complaints for the $120. Thats the norm in Canada for these type of cards. for year 1 its a no brainer as the 10,000 points cover it. In future years the the free weekend night covers it & this year its gravy (if u do not spend enough to earn that they probably do not want you).

And IT EARNS STARPOINTS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.