Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email addresses:

Marriott Waikiki: [email protected]
Courtyard Waikiki: [email protected]

Waikiki Marriott is full buffet breakfast daily for elite+1 or 1,000 points - Plat arrival gift option

Resort fee: $37+tax
--- One macadamia nut candy (comes with 2 pieces of candy)
--- Fitness classes daily
--- Cultural classes daily
--- Enhanced internet
--- 60 minutes of long distance and international calls daily
--- Blu-ray or DVD rentals
--- Press Reader newspaper and magazine downloads
--- 1 introductory scuba or snorkel lesson, one per family (this is subject to availability as the shop needs to first have a paid booking before they can offer the free lesson in the morning)
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The reason I asked was while Waikiki is fun, it is basically the Las Vegas strip on a public beach. Do you really want to go to Hawaii and eat at California Pizza Kitchen, Cheesecake Factory and the like? Unless you have the budget or know where to go, that's basically your culinary experience in Waikiki. Plus, Waikiki can be expensive and inconvenient if you have a rental car. Instead, I would recommend your family stay at the Courtyard on the North Shore of Oahu, by the B.Y.U. campus. Yes, it's not in Waikiki, but it's in a much nicer part of Oahu, is a short drive from amazing beaches and is still within driving distance (maybe 45 minutes, depending on traffic) of Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, etc.
For my other family members who has never been to USA before, it is not a bad thing. But I get your point of staying at North Shore. I was even thinking of staying at Starwood properties which should be available on 1 August such as Westin, Sheraton etc ....
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
For my other family members who has never been to USA before, it is not a bad thing. But I get your point of staying at North Shore. I was even thinking of staying at Starwood properties which should be available on 1 August such as Westin, Sheraton etc ....
Suggestion, if you have members that have never been to the USA let alone Hawaii I would stay in Honolulu. You could stay at the Sheraton Princess cheaper renovated ( Tower) and walk across the street to the beaches and down the street to shops and restaurants. CY on North Shore is a long way out, and while I understand the post about it still. I would highly recommend the Marriott on Maui. That one was renovated several years ago greta beach and easy walk to the shopping mall.

Aloha
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
If you wait to August 1, it is probably guaranteed that all Hawaiian hotels, both legacy Marriott and legacy SPG, will be more expensive than they are under the present award redemption chart.

If I look at a random 5 nights for the week before Easter in April 2019, which is when you said you will travel, paid rates at the Courtyard Waikiki are as low as $162 per night plus taxes and fees. For $216 per night, you can get a package with 5,000 bonus points. A 399-square-feet suite is $227 per night.

The full-service Laylow, Autograph Collection and Marriott Waikiki are $227 and $218, respectively. However, those properties charge resort fees per night ($37 at the Waikiki Marriott and $29 at the Laylow). Also, parking will be expensive. By contrast, the Courtyard Oahu North Shore, which like the Courtyard Waikiki doesn't have a resort fee, is $227 per night plus taxes. They also have a package at $284 per night that includes a $100 hotel credit, which could be valuable if it can be used for food and drinks.

Those paid rates are low enough that I would consider paying cash, as I suspect April will be busy with spring break/Easter break tourists. Absent a big sale, I doubt the paid rates will get any cheaper, though I've seen the Marriott Waikiki for around $180 per night. However, the Marriott Waikiki will be undergoing a renovation beginning this fall so you might want to avoid this property as I doubt they can finish a 1,000-room renovation by April 2019.

At legacy SPG properties, the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, which isn't on the beach but is in Waikiki, has paid rates in April 2019 as low as $195 per night plus taxes.

If I had family and planned on having a car, I would stay at the Courtyard on the North Shore.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jun 13, 2018 at 7:33 am
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
If you wait to August 1, it is probably guaranteed that all Hawaiian hotels, both legacy Marriott and legacy SPG, will be more expensive than they are under the present award redemption chart.
The point requirements for properties in Hawaii are often already on the high side in relation to cash rates. I won't be surprised if the best properties to go up, but current Marriott Category 7 (35,000 points) and SPG Category 6 (12,000 Starpoints x 3 = 36,000 points) properties are likely to go to new Category 5 (35,000 points). Some properties might even go down, especially those that would not otherwise be competitive. I could be wrong.

The new category assignments are supposed to be released this month (June 2018). It will then be easy to decide whether it's better to book under current redemption requirements or to wait until August. It might be a good idea to book now, and then to cancel and rebook in August if that can be done with fewer points.

I would recommend your family stay at the Courtyard on the North Shore of Oahu, by the B.Y.U. campus.
I've only driven by the Courtyard Oahu North Shore. Yes, it's a completely different experience on that part of Oahu. Hawaii Magazine has an article about it: https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/conte...rth-shore-oahu

The town of Laie, where the Courtyard Oahu North Shore is located, is dry -- as in "no alcohol," not as in "no rain." For some, that makes no difference. For others, who dream of tropical drinks by the resort pool, that would be a big disappointment.

Because this thread was veered off to be a comparison of more than just the Marriott and Courtyard on Waikiki, allow me to mention Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club. Although, it's a Marriott Vacation Club (timeshare) resort, rooms are often available through Marriott.com, sometimes even with points. It's a wonderful report at a location with possibly the best climate on the island. It's a fine starting point for drives to the North Shore.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Horace
It might be a good idea to book now, and then to cancel and rebook in August if that can be done with fewer points.
I agree. Book now. I do think the cash rates are low enough, particularly the suites, that paying cash may be a better value, as I have to imagine upgrades to a suite will be difficult, particularly during spring and Easter breaks.

I've only driven by the Courtyard Oahu North Shore. Yes, it's a completely different experience on that part of Oahu. Hawaii Magazine has an article about it: https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/conte...rth-shore-oahu

The town of Laie, where the Courtyard Oahu North Shore is located, is dry -- as in "no alcohol, not as in "no rain." For some, that makes no difference. For others, who dream of tropical drinks by the resort pool, that would be a big disappointment.
Outside of the Laylow, Autograph Collection, I believe the Courtyard Oahu North Shore has the newest rooms of any legacy Marriott property on Oahu. The Courtyard Waikiki may have newer rooms, but I have read reports about renovations and do-overs, so I don't know.

As for it being a dry hotel, yes, that's the case. But there are stores nearby with alcohol. There's no prohibition against consuming alcohol at the hotel, only selling alcohol.

Because this thread was veered off to be a comparison of more than just the Marriott and Courtyard on Waikiki, allow me to mention Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club. Although, it's a Marriott Vacation Club (timeshare) resort, rooms are often available through Marriott.com, sometimes even with points. It's a wonderful report at a location with possibly the best climate on the island. It's a fine starting point for drives to the North Shore.
Since the original poster wanted to redeem points I'm guessing she or he wants elite benefits, which you don't get at Vacation Club properties. This becomes especially important after August with the breakfast benefit.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:17 am

whew !
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:35 am

Since the original poster wanted to redeem points I'm guessing she or he wants elite benefits, which you don't get at Vacation Club properties. This becomes especially important after August with the breakfast benefit.
To clarify Elite benefits at MVC:

Current Platinum Elite arrival/welcome gift at MVC: 500 points / also, points on incidentals charged to room, with Elite bonus

New Platinum Elite arrival/welcome gift (beginning August 2018) at MVC: 1000 points / also, points on incidentals charged to room, with Elite bonus

Other full-service resorts, including the five Marriott legacy full-service brands that currently exclude resorts, will offer daily breakfast for Member+1 as an option beginning in August (instead of 1000 points) for Platinum and higher -- but not MVC. Also, because of how timeshare inventory works, there are officially no Elite upgrades.

However, MVC rooms and suites in the state of Hawaii have kitchenettes or full kitchens, depending on the property and type of accommodation. Having breakfast on your own lanai can be better a typical hotel breakfast, especially if you have a nice view.

Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club is currently category 8 for a studio, with 1BR and 2BR condos sometimes available for a modest amount of additional points.

This might not be what the the person who asked the question last month was looking for, but anyone looking into Marriott on Oahu needs to realize what choices there are in addition to Waikiki.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Outside of the Laylow, Autograph Collection, I believe the Courtyard Oahu North Shore has the newest rooms of any legacy Marriott property on Oahu. The Courtyard Waikiki may have newer rooms, but I have read reports about renovations and do-overs, so I don't know.
The Courtyard Oahu North Shore is a nice, new hotel, but unless you're positioning yourself for a day at the Polynesian Cultural Center or North Shore activities, its location is far from the main tourists sites on Oahu that a first time visitor is likely to want to see. You talk about the lack of interesting culinary options in Waikiki, but what about Laie? Outside of the marketplace area at the PCC (which can be accessed without admission to the PCC), your options are pretty much the McDonald's on the other side of the hotel or the shopping plaza down the street in Hauula.

Also, did anyone else prefer the old McDonald's in Laie? (It was a Polynesian themed building, but it was torn down to make room for the Courtyard.)

I haven't stayed at the Courtyard Waikiki in 5 years, so I've missed the last 1 (or 2?) renovations. The fact that they keep having to go back and renovate the rooms so frequently is telling. During my one and only stay there the staff was friendly, there was no resort fee, and the rate I had managed to include valet parking. They even put me in a one bedroom suite in the back tower, but the room only seemed to have a cosmetic refresh.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Majuki
The Courtyard Oahu North Shore is a nice, new hotel, but unless you're positioning yourself for a day at the Polynesian Cultural Center or North Shore activities, its location is far from the main tourists sites on Oahu that a first time visitor is likely to want to see. You talk about the lack of interesting culinary options in Waikiki, but what about Laie? Outside of the marketplace area at the PCC (which can be accessed without admission to the PCC), your options are pretty much the McDonald's on the other side of the hotel or the shopping plaza down the street in Hauula.
I don't think anyone has claimed the Courtyard Oahu North Shore is by the tourist attractions in Waikiki and Honolulu city proper, but, depending on traffic, it's between 40 and 60 minutes away, depending on traffic and where precisely you are going.

Yes, Laie has limited eating options, but there are plenty of choices within 20-25 minutes of the hotel, ranging from cafes and restaurant in and by Haleiwa to thefood trucks along Kamehameha Highway, near Kahuku.

If you want excellent beaches then the North Shore is your place. My favorite beach on Oahu is Pupukea.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:19 pm

Splitting hotel nights on Oahu between Waikiki and somewhere else could work well for some visitors. It's less expensive and much less of a hassle than flying to another island for part of the vacation, but provides many of the same advantages.

Of course, if using points, five nights is the sweet spot because the fifth night is free. In that case, it's still possible to stay one place for 5 nights and several nights at another place -- with one of those places being Waikiki, and the other one not.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Thank you all for the responses.

Whilst I would like to get Elite benefits, it would not be the most important thing as I will most likely be the Gold Tier in the new program, which doesn't get me much anyway. For me the most important is to showcase Hawaii and USA to my wife and my small kids (aged 6 and 3), and let them have a good time, along with using up my 2 * 7-night certificates (if they are not converted into points by Marriott in August) which I can upgrade to level 8/9 if required. I am planning to use 1 at Oahu and one at either Maui or Big Island (which we haven't decide).

Having said that they would prefer to be centre of the action rather than driving back to Waikiki all the time. If we do stay at Waikiki I think we will spend one day driving up to North Shore as it seems to be nicer and quieter place.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:14 am
Suspended

For me the most important is to showcase Hawaii and USA to my wife and my small kids (aged 6 and 3), and let them have a good time ...

Having said that they would prefer to be centre of the action rather than driving back to Waikiki all the time. If we do stay at Waikiki I think we will spend one day driving up to North Shore as it seems to be nicer and quieter place.
Well, Hawaii isn't Waikiki.

Waikiki is now a mass-market, Las Vegas Strip-esque destination that has little in common with the Old Hawaii romanticism of the 1930s through the early 1960s. Moreover, you'll feel like Japan won the war because over half the tourists are Japanese (not a bad thing, just weird -- especially at Pearl Harbor).

If you want them to experience the real Hawaii you either need to go to the North Shore or another island. Otherwise, all you're experiencing is a big city with too much concrete, too much traffic and a major homeless crisis that just happens to be on an island in the Pacific. Driving up to the North Shore for just a day is a waste of your time and their time. There is so much to do and see up there. You could spend a whole day just on some of the best beaches in the whole state of Hawaii

If I had up to 14 nights in Hawaii and didn't want to stay on the North Shore, I would fly into Honolulu, spend two nights, three days there seeing Waikiki, Honolulu and the North Shore. I'd then go to another island or even two other islands, each for five nights (utilizing the fifth night free with Marriott award redemptions), and then go back to Honolulu and fly home. You could spend your 14th night in Honolulu before flying home, as there are more flight options out of Honolulu than the other islands.

The Big Island is like two or three smaller islands put together in terms of places to visit and things to do. You could stay in two different hotels for five nights apiece.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Is it just me or has this "Courtyard Waikiki - Waikiki Marriott" thread gone off the rails? I would recommend all the "real Hawaii" type conversation for another thread (if at all)...........
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Is it just me or has this "Courtyard Waikiki - Waikiki Marriott" thread gone off the rails? I would recommend all the "real Hawaii" type conversation for another thread (if at all)...........

Strayed a bit on the North Shore, we'll get it back on track
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Strayed a bit on the North Shore, we'll get it back on track
There should be a general Oahu or North Shore vs. Waikiki thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.