Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Astrophsx
Daily resort fee is $60 (not waived with status or with booking a club room)
  • Wireless, high-speed Internet access in guest rooms and common areas.
  • Outdoor Yoga, Pilates, and Seaside Hikes alternate daily.
  • Shuttle service to and from Salt Creek Beach on an individual guest request basis (not applicable to group transfers).
  • Access to resort’s Beach Butler Service and use of beach recreation equipment including towel service, umbrellas, and beach chairs.
  • Unlimited use of the Tennis Courts including rackets. Tournament and clinic fees are additional.
  • Courtesy resort driver – transportation within 3 miles of the resort.
  • Complimentary 45 minute private photography session and one digital image (not applicable to special occasions and events).
  • A special Garden Tour experience where you discover Birds, Bees, and Butterflies local to Dana Point in the beautiful Eco-Adventure Garden, reserve through the [email protected] m.

Valet fee is $70 per night

Platinum benefits:
- Free breakfast is no longer offered
- 1,000 welcome points
- One category upgrade based upon availability (usually a coastline or ocean view room)

Tips from a local:
- If you want to avoid the $70 valet fee and don't mind a 10 minute stroll you can park for free on Niguel Rd & Stonehill Dr on the hill except for Friday’s between 10am and Noon.
- The marine layer usually burns off around noon to 1pm each day.
- May, June, and early July are known as “May gray/June gloom”. This time of the year is usually overcast and not the most ideal beach weather. Hot summer weather is usually July to mid-October.
- Beach Hut Deli and Moulin are cheaper places for lunch and are a ~3 minute walk. There is a hidden walking path on the backside of the property that makes walking there slightly easier at Cabrillo Isle & Ritz Carlton drive.
- If you live in the area there is a locals "anniversary" card that allows for a 15% discount on food/alcohol/spa and free valet parking for the day for two cars (not for overnight stays). You will need to show evidence that you live in the area.
- Valet is $5 for the day if visiting a restaurant or marketplace.
- The free OC Parks Summer Concert Series on the Salt Creek Beach lawn is usually a few weekends in August and is very popular locally. Alcohol is sold and usually multiple food trucks. They also have free movies on the lawn during the weekends in August.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Good Evening:
I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel/Dana Point in Southern California on Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd of November.
As I was celebrating a special occasion (my wife and I 25th wedding anniversary) I sent an email ahead of time to request “if possible” an ocean view upgrade as I was redeeming a Marriott award.
This was my only request.
Here is the response I received:
“…Thank you for selecting The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel for your upcoming visit. We are delighted to have the opportunity of having you stay with us in celebration of your 25th anniversary!...
…If you would like to have amenities in your room upon your arrival, may I recommend a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label Champagne ($120), Moet et Chandon, Cuvee Dom Perignon Brut, Epernay ($400), or sparkling cider ($20) and some wonderful accompaniments are chocolate dipped strawberries, truffles, a fruit bowl or cheese plate ($38 each). This is a wonderful way to start your ‘Ritz-Carlton Experience’!
For the return to your room after dinner, I would like to suggest one of our most breathtaking experiences, the beautiful Rose Petal Turn Down. Our Ladies and Gentlemen scatter rose petals from the door of the room all the way to the foot of the bed, culminating in a heart shape of roses on the top of the bed. Alongside the rose petals we place tea light candles around your room, making it an amazing experience you will never forget. For this beautiful experience, the cost is $160.
Regarding your request for your room to be upgraded so that you can enjoy the magnificent ocean views our resort affords, it would be our pleasure to accommodate your request for an additional cost of $125 per night. This is based upon availability, so please let me know if you would like us to upgrade your room to an ocean view at your earliest convenience…”
I did not respond to the email as I found it unprofessional.
At check in I was given a swimming pool courtyard room with very dirty carpeting.
A crew of two was sent to clean up the “rug” and we were left with a half clean carpet and a strong detergent smell…Happy Anniversary!!!
The front desk sent slippers once I requested them after walking on a wet dirty rug!
Children or adults above our room (#3033) kept on jumping up and down (probably from a bed) the first evening.
It stopped after security was sent up.
Today was the “lighting of the Tree” at the Ritz Carlton, a very nice tradition here associated with a decorated surf board exhibit and a very large Ginger Bread display made by the Ritz Carlton Pastry Team.
It resulted in small inconveniences such as rerouting to access Valet Parking and waiting 25 minutes to get service and spend $30.00 on two “well” drinks.
The band (The Jeeps) played starting around 3.30 pm and could be heard full blast from the room until later in the early evening.
They played off key most of the time.
As far as the management and the front desk are concerned there are NO “Ladies and Gentlemen of the Ritz Carlton” but for what I have experienced only self absorbed managers making it plain clear that they are only interested in collecting your money without understanding the guests needs
As a result with the exception of the pastries in the morning we went outside of the Ritz for dinner and lunch.
First at Sapphire in Laguna Beach sitting at the bar where we enjoyed great food and service by Christophe as well as the other bar tender whose name I forgot (sorry).
Then, the next day at Javier’s on Pacific Coast Hwy.
On the more positive side this property enjoys a TRULY SUPERB location.
The valet parking as well as the housekeeping staff are very professional and effective.
The pastry chef (Jeff AKA Jean Francois) does an outstanding job with his team: DO NOT MISS THE PASTRIES IN THE MARKET PLACE.
This evening, as I write this review, Jeff Lehuede, the Pastry Chef, actually sent up a little tray of great pastries wishing us an happy anniversary following our meeting this morning.
This partially made up for a very disappointing experience.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 1:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
For real $165 for a rose petal turn down? They are surely taking the proverbial with that
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
I hate to say it, but the hotel's response and service offerings were appropriate. The Ritz brand does not offer any of the Marriott elite perqs so anything you want above what you reserved, you have to pay for. We've gotten spoiled over the years (I know I have!). Award stays are reimbursed at minimal levels to the properties so there is little incentive to start throwing in amenities for free other than defined benefits, which there are none of at a Ritz.

I probably would have stopped at a bottle shop for some bubbly at regular retail prices but I might have sprung for the rose petal turndown - I bet she would have loved it.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by keeton
I hate to say it, but the hotel's response and service offerings were appropriate. The Ritz brand does not offer any of the Marriott elite perqs so anything you want above what you reserved, you have to pay for.
Having stayed at this hotel many times as part of our yearly trip to California I have to agree. If you want an ocean view room due to the special occasion you need to book just that. That's what we did for our special occasion! If the hotels ends up giving you more than you booked then great but I have come not to expect it at ANY hotel on a paid stay (and definitely not on an award stay). I have never experienced any issues with the hotel itself or the staff but I do feel for you with the people upstairs making a lot of noise because we also had some very inconsiderate neighbors during our last stay. Problem is you cannot assume that the high cost of the hotel will only bring in people that actually have manners and respect for others.

You also have to remember that if the hotels honored everyones request for special treatments for their anniversary, etc. they would be very busy. I think there are people that have an anniversary EVERY TIME they stay at a hotel.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
We had a similar experience at this hotel. The location certainly is beautiful. The front desk staff are not particularly friendly. We paid to upgrade to the concierge level which we enjoyed very much. Service there was pretty good. Generally speaking this hotel provides exactly what you pay for and nothing more. Everything is quite expensive. I have stayed at other RC's that had much friendlier staff.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Good Day:

Out of fairness I have to report that the issues I shared with this forum and the Ritz Carlton Management about my stay were answered right away by the Ritz Carlton the same day I checked out.

Furthermore as a goodwill gesture I received an invitation to come back on a complimentary basis and experience the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel as it should be.

I must say the gesture is greatly appreciated as I did not ask or request any compensation.

Furthermore everything is there to make it a memorable positive experience for everybody.

In response to Keeton's welcome input I must say that whether staying on a "complimentary" or a "paid" stay the customer should not have to experience a downgrade on what is the cost of doing business.

Let's imagine a reward marketing program offering it's best customers the lowest possible product quality as a way to build business and advertising it!!!
Old Dec 1, 2009, 6:30 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by courcoison
Let's imagine a reward marketing program offering it's best customers the lowest possible product quality as a way to build business and advertising it!!!
I'm not sure I understand this point. Are you saying that you didn't get the room type that an award is supposed to get? In the case of RCs, I do believe that an award gets a standard non-view room. That is pretty clearly stated by Marriott.

Or are you trying to say that RCs should upgrade all Marriott award rooms? If so, remember, we are extremely lucky just to be able to redeem awards for any RC room at all. RCs don't really participate in Marriott Rewards and definitely don't use that program as a means to "build business and advertise it." Marriott may use RCs awards, to a degree, as a means of building business for their Rewards program, but RCs themselves have a completely different marketing strategy and don't rely on Marriott's Rewards program at all.
Old May 6, 2011, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Anyone have recent experiences here? Currently Gold MR and just wondering if they are recognizing status and general condition.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Wife and I are headed here for a brief one night stay (using points) before meeting some friends in Temecula for a wine tasting weekend. It's our 15th anniversary, so I will send a note ahead of time, but don't expect much in the way of an upgrade, even as a newly minted Platinum! :-)

Speaking of upgrades, does anyone what the cost is to upgrade to the concierge level when using points?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I've had dinner at the hotel but haven't stayed there. The restaurant is nice.

In terms of upgrades, RC's don't guarantee an upgrade to Marriott plats. I'm a platinum premier and have never been upgraded to anything special at an RC in the US. The RC lounges have a better food selection than the Marriott Concierge Lounge but are priced accordingly. I haven't bought up before but the rates are often $100 more per night per room for access to the RC club lounge.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I've had dinner at the hotel but haven't stayed there. The restaurant is nice.

In terms of upgrades, RC's don't guarantee an upgrade to Marriott plats. I'm a platinum premier and have never been upgraded to anything special at an RC in the US. The RC lounges have a better food selection than the Marriott Concierge Lounge but are priced accordingly. I haven't bought up before but the rates are often $100 more per night per room for access to the RC club lounge.
Thanks! As my wife and I will be lounging at the hotel for two days (one night) and it appears the club level includes alcohol, this seems like it would be a worthwhile purchase for ~$100.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Wife and I are headed here for a brief one night stay (using points) before meeting some friends in Temecula for a wine tasting weekend. It's our 15th anniversary, so I will send a note ahead of time, but don't expect much in the way of an upgrade, even as a newly minted Platinum! :-)

Speaking of upgrades, does anyone what the cost is to upgrade to the concierge level when using points?
I hope you have better luck than me. My wife and I were there last year for our anniversary. We reserved a King bed room and was given a two double beds room facing the front parking. Tried to call to to switch room, and was told there is absolutely no room available even for plat members. After I did the survey when we return home the manager did email me and said he will refund half the points for the stay. Never happened.

The room is really dated by the way.. at least the one we got. The restaurant is amazing though and great view too during the day. We did receive free breakfast as Plat which is not usual in Ritz. We didn't tell them it was our anniversary so maybe you will get better treatment telling them ahead of time so they don't run out of King size bed room.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
I hope you have better luck than me. My wife and I were there last year for our anniversary. We reserved a King bed room and was given a two double beds room facing the front parking. Tried to call to to switch room, and was told there is absolutely no room available even for plat members. After I did the survey when we return home the manager did email me and said he will refund half the points for the stay. Never happened.

The room is really dated by the way.. at least the one we got. The restaurant is amazing though and great view too during the day. We did receive free breakfast as Plat which is not usual in Ritz. We didn't tell them it was our anniversary so maybe you will get better treatment telling them ahead of time so they don't run out of King size bed room.
So, you reserved a King and were given two beds?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by bsdstone
So, you reserved a King and were given two beds?
Yup. And it was not 2 queen size.. it was 2 full size beds. I even have it on my email where the reservation shows 1 King room. I think they said something about bed type not guarantee and I got the "run of the house" room. It was a reward reservation but I did pick King bed knowing that it is one of those rare occasion that our kid is not with us.

The hotel does look full because they have a function of some kind of medical company going on and we did arrive after 6pm since it was a Friday and we both had to work. But still I can't believe they can't find us a King bed room if they want to. I am pretty sure they didn't even check as the reply was so fast. No we are full and don't have any other room.

On the good sides, they will comp you for breakfast ($35 credit per day), resort fee ($30 per day), and valet parking ($30 per day) as a Plat.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Need

On the good sides, they will comp you for breakfast ($35 credit per day), resort fee ($30 per day), and valet parking ($30 per day) as a Plat.
Was the above due to the problems you had w/ the room? This is the first report of comp brekkie, resort fee & valet parking.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.