Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:34 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EWR764
After a few calls, heard back from the property and they are unwilling to extend any of the SPG/MR benefits after the 'unflagging'. I was mostly concerned about breakfast, as that's a substantial value-add at St. Regis.

Not a dealbreaker, but I told the rep I was surprised they wouldn't be willing to make an exception for the unusual circumstances, since I made the reservation pre-transaction and my stay bridges the cutover.

That’s a little disappointing IMO 😟
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by damon88

That’s a little disappointing IMO 😟
I'm going to continue to press for it. I feel just a little petty doing it, but one would think a GM under the circumstances would want to satisfy guests unexpectedly caught up in an unusual situation.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:01 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I'm going to continue to press for it. I feel just a little petty doing it, but one would think a GM under the circumstances would want to satisfy guests unexpectedly caught up in an unusual situation.

Not only that, but considering the limited options on Kauai one would think they would want to cultivate the existing base.

I remember when Monarch Bay was leaving St Regis the new owners went out of their way to court our future business. I still get offers from them.

I know that hotels are experiencing record occupancy these days but it seems they are forgetting that there are cycles.

Very shortsighted IMHO
EWR764 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Datapoint:

stay booked in late 2018 after hotel leaves star riot on points

messaged customer service about loss in breakfast benefits

they were able to grant a $50 food credit each day of the stay and 10% off the final food and beverage bill to cover anything that went over the $50 daily credit

please post other data points here on what u were able to get star riot to extend
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:37 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by flymax77
Datapoint:

stay booked in late 2018 after hotel leaves star riot on points

messaged customer service about loss in breakfast benefits

they were able to grant a $50 food credit each day of the stay and 10% off the final food and beverage bill to cover anything that went over the $50 daily credit

please post other data points here on what u were able to get star riot to extend

Did you reach out via Twitter/email or ?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:54 am

Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:55 am

Did you reach out via Twitter/email or ?
[email protected]
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
After a few calls, heard back from the property and they are unwilling to extend any of the SPG/MR benefits after the 'unflagging'. I was mostly concerned about breakfast, as that's a substantial value-add at St. Regis.

Not a dealbreaker, but I told the rep I was surprised they wouldn't be willing to make an exception for the unusual circumstances, since I made the reservation pre-transaction and my stay bridges the cutover.
I’m not really surprised and honestly don’t blame them. Is it an award stay? If so, and they realize that elite benefits are important to you, it seems unlikely that you’ll return in the future so they don’t really have much incentive to offer more than what will be required.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:06 am
SPG 5+ Badge

I actually am curious about how the hotel is compensated for Award stays in situations like this. Is Marriott paying them to honor the Award Reservations?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by GoPhils

I’m not really surprised and honestly don’t blame them. Is it an award stay? If so, and they realize that elite benefits are important to you, it seems unlikely that you’ll return in the future so they don’t really have much incentive to offer more than what will be required.
Additionally, from what I've read, once the new hotel is refurbished it will concentrate on a completely different clientele than what is currently attracted to The St. Regis Princeville. The new property will be going after the corporate CEOs and Hollywood celebrities, not the points hoarders that save those points to afford the five-night stay.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:45 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by controller1
Additionally, from what I've read, once the new hotel is refurbished it will concentrate on a completely different clientele than what is currently attracted to The St. Regis Princeville. The new property will be going after the corporate CEOs and Hollywood celebrities, not the points hoarders that save those points to afford the five-night stay.
ummm. Not so much.

It’s true that guests won’t be able to use points, but the Starwood hotels we know and love owe a lot to Barry Sternlicht. As you probably know Sternlicht ran Starwood hotels for years and was integral in turning St Regis into a high end brand. He also launched the W Hotel brand.

He has described his new brand as “the W but more grown up . . . The W is for me in my 30s, and this is for me later in my life . . . this is my upscale W. It’s still chic and cool, but it’s sophisticated, and it’s just more expensive.”

Sternlicht is a visionary and he was at the helm when I first fell in love with Starwood. It won’t surprise me at all if he turns this property into something exciting.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Update: the hotel reached out to me and agreed to extend the breakfast benefit over the last three nights of my stay, and will honor upgrade benefit consistent with my status. A fair solution that I'm satisfied with.
damon88 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold

ummm. Not so much.

It’s true that guests won’t be able to use points, but the Starwood hotels we know and love owe a lot to Barry Sternlicht. As you probably know Sternlicht ran Starwood hotels for years and was integral in turning St Regis into a high end brand. He also launched the W Hotel brand.

He has described his new brand as “the W but more grown up . . . The W is for me in my 30s, and this is for me later in my life . . . this is my upscale W. It’s still chic and cool, but it’s sophisticated, and it’s just more expensive.”

Sternlicht is a visionary and he was at the helm when I first fell in love with Starwood. It won’t surprise me at all if he turns this property into something exciting.
So then wouldn’t those statements agree with the previous statement that they may be targeting celebrities, etc?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:20 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by GoPhils

So then wouldn’t those statements agree with the previous statement that they may be targeting celebrities, etc?

In the same way the St Regis did. 😊

They didn’t teach the First Law of Celebrity Magnetism in school: that a critical mass of famous people showing up at one place creates an irresistible force that attracts pretty much all the other famous people to it. Of course, the setting of celebrity haven St. Regis Princeville Kauai may have something to do with it, too, including the hypnotic sweeping views of Hanalei Bay and the rippled, jungle-clad volcanic mountains that form the Napali Coast.

The 251-room St. Regis has simply made paradise more convenient for pleasure seekers such as Ben Affleck ,Jennifer Garner, Olivia Munn, Kelly Clarkson and Alicia Keys. They come for the St. Regis’ signature butler service, the Asian-influenced fare at chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s casual Kauai Grill and that killer view, visible from every guest room. You might bump into Avril Lavigne poolside (a venue angled to maximize the view) or spot Matt Damon on the hotel’s beach, where you can explore the bay in a replica outrigger canoe handmade and paddled by local legend Trevor Cabell. He can take you out to watch some of the world’s top surfers catching the break and then anchor for snorkeling among sea turtles.

George Clooney took up residence at the hotel when he filmed The Descendants, and numerous scenes were shot in the lobby and Presidential Suite and along the beachfront. Other A-listers have come and liked what they’ve seen so much that they bought homes nearby, including Julia Roberts, Pierce Brosnan and Ben Stiller.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesl.../#4544ef21f561

We were there when this happened:
Joe Manganiello put a lot of thought into popping the question to Sofia Vergara. He carefully planned the proposal, which took place over Christmas in Kauai. “This wasn’t spontaneous,”

The couple were guests at the tony St. Regis Hotel in Princeville – an ultra-exclusive, five-star getaway for the rich and famous – and the source says that “Joe definitely planned ahead and contacted the hotel weeks in advance to discuss certain things he wanted to do.”

Not sure how this is a downside. Many of the Starwood hotels we’ve stayed at have hosted celebrities- Schloss Fuschl, Grande Bretagne, Gritti Palace etc.

Last edited by damon88; Nov 5, 2018 at 11:25 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
George Clooney took up residence at the hotel when he filmed The Descendants, and numerous scenes were shot in the lobby and Presidential Suite and along the beachfront.
Those beachfront scenes inspired me to walk along the beach from the St. Regis to Tahiti Nui in Hanalei just as Clooney's character in the movie did. I didn't get very far.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.