Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:46 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Sigh.

Well, all good things must come to an end. We love this spot, but it looks like our April 2019 stay isn’t likely. (Thankfullly, we’ve also planned a trip up the California coast, just in case.)

We now will look forward to this becoming the new and improved 1 Hotel Princeville in a few years.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:58 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
There is something ironic about the purchase by Starwood Capital. It is a shame to see the property go, but it has a truly globally significant view, but under the St Regis brand did not have the hard or soft product to match it. I suspect the One Hotel will do a better job of making it real, though I will miss the St Regis Bar and evening sabrage ritual.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:20 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
There is something ironic about the purchase by Starwood Capital. It is a shame to see the property go, but it has a truly globally significant view, but under the St Regis brand did not have the hard or soft product to match it. I suspect the One Hotel will do a better job of making it real, though I will miss the St Regis Bar and evening sabrage ritual.
I figure that Sternlicht was familiar with the property and its potential. Sure hope we get to complete our stay.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:40 am

Question - so does that mean any reservations with dates after the buyout won't be honored?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Have a 5 night stay booked for the week after Thanksgiving. Hopefully everything is still honored.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
They honestly let a lot "go" in the past 2-3 years that we've had dinner at the St Regis. Carpet wear, dirty curtains, things just weren't being taken care of like it had before. Hopefully it can return to the Princeville Hotel era, especially if that second hotel may be built nearby on the bluff area overlooking Hanalei River Valley.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Uh oh. The St. Regis Princeville is currently only available to be booked on Marriott.com through November 15, 2018.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:02 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Yes End of an Era

Just received this:
As a valued Starwood Preferred Guest member, we are writing you to inform you of a change in the status of The St. Regis Princeville Resort. As of November 16, 2018, the property will no longer be part of Marriott International or the St. Regis brand and will no longer participate in the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) program. The hotel will now be called the Princeville Resort.
We see you are currently holding a reservation We are pleased to advise you that the hotel will honor your reservation room rate and/or for a Preferred (free) Night Award as confirmed. However, since the hotel will not be affiliated with the Marriott or SPG system, you will not earn Reward Points for any eligible charges incurred. You will also not receive any of your Starwood Preferred Guest membership amenities or benefits.

I just got off of the phone with the hotel and I am happy for a few things- that the hotel will still honor our points reservation (and our) prearranged upgrade and that the current employees will be able to keep their jobs. Sad though to see a hotel we love leave the Starriott Family.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by damon88
Yes End of an Era

I just got off of the phone with the hotel and I am happy for a few things- that the hotel will still honor our points reservation (and our) prearranged upgrade and that the current employees will be able to keep their jobs. Sad though to see a hotel we love leave the Starriott Family.
I also just received this mail. How did you prearrange for upgrade?

For an award reservation, the benefits I will be missing are breakfast for 2 and potential room upgrade. This will be like going free agent and stay at a nice unaffiliated hotel.

Sad to see this hotel leave, so I may keep the reservation in place, especially if I can get refund of 90K points for the 2 nights (booked at 35K SPG points per night).
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:11 pm

I had a five night stay planned for April 2019. Marriott Gold...is it worth staying here still without the Gold benefits? It is an award booking so I cannot earn points on the room rate, obviously, but I would be missing out on the points on the paid resort fee. Also, I think a space available upgrade is less likely now. Any other missing perks?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:23 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
@damon88 I also just received that email. End of an era, but change is the only constant in the world.

We were booked to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary here for late April 2019 in a junior suite using points for 5 nights (240K total SPG points, 60K SPG points per night with 5th night free).

We are canceling our stay. With no StR butler service, no consistent StR service in general, no chance to earn points on food/beverage and other activities, and unreliable chances for further suite upgrades, this seems a risky stay. With a reasonable expectation for less than excellent service overall and diminished quality of food/beverage in the midst of such a big transition, we feel like this is a very bad proposition for us, even if they are allowing everyone to keep their bookings. The hotel already was in need for renovation, and I was comfortable with that--since so many luxury hotels in Hawaii are in similar straits. But I cannot risk the service and food/beverage being subpar for our stay. The 720K Marriott points refund can be put to better use, I think.

Instead, we're already booked for the RC Bacara Santa Barbara (points), Ventana Big Sur, and RC Half Moon Bay (points) to celebrate our anniversary. That still doesn't use all of our 720K points refund, so we still come out ahead!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by hbcobra
I had a five night stay planned for April 2019. Marriott Gold...is it worth staying here still without the Gold benefits? It is an award booking so I cannot earn points on the room rate, obviously, but I would be missing out on the points on the paid resort fee. Also, I think a space available upgrade is less likely now. Any other missing perks?
I also have an April reservation on points. My ambassador told me that the hotel is super busy in April, so I agree that an upgrade was probably unlikely in the first place. I actually went here for my honeymoon a few years ago and stayed for 7 nights. This was in July and the hotel was nearly sold out. No upgrade on arrival, but we kept asking every day and they were eventually able to put us in a junior suite for the last 5 nights.

Regarding other perks -- the only other drawback that I can think of is the platinum breakfast. I thought the breakfast was first class, so I will definitely miss this.

Overall, I'm sad to see this one leave the SPG family. This was one of my favorite hotels.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
I have a points reservation for August and received the same email. Although I'm disappointed that I won't receive any platinum benefits, I'm pleased that my reservation will be honored with the rumors that had been swirling that they were going to close for a massive refurbishment. There's nothing like Kauai's North Shore, and I'll survive without the bennies.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:28 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by el_tigre
I have a points reservation for August and received the same email. Although I'm disappointed that I won't receive any platinum benefits, I'm pleased that my reservation will be honored with the rumors that had been swirling that they were going to close for a massive refurbishment. There's nothing like Kauai's North Shore, and I'll survive without the bennies.
That is how we feel.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:35 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
I have a reservation booked on points (60k Marriott points with 5th night free) for next year. I am Platinum Premier and will miss the free breakfast and upgrades.

Does anyone have any other Hawaii alternatives for high end on points? We are doing 3 nights in Honolulu for a friend's wedding and wanted to book something for 5 nights prior to the wedding somewhere else in Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.