Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:21 pm

This is what I sent:
Dear Executive Customer Service Team,I recently booked a two night stay at the Princeville Resort (see below) which my family and I were and are greatly looking forward to. I am hopeful that the perks of my platinum status such as breakfast and the possibility of an upgraded room are not lost by the re-flagging of this wonderful property. Would you be able to confirm that this is the case?

This was the reply:
Thank you for your e-mail regarding your upcoming stay at The St. Regis Princeville Resort.

As per the official e-mail communication you received, this hotel is honoring it’s reservations but not the loyalty benefits (Marriott Rewards or Starwood Preferred Guest). If you are interested in booking your reservation at a participating sister location you can visit our webpage to check rates and availability. If you would prefer, you can call the SPG or Marriott desk.
..., thank you for your valued loyalty to our loyalty program. We look forward to assisting you with all your worldwide travel needs for many years to come.

Best Regards,

XXXX YYYY
Executive Customer Service
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, LLC

Last edited by hhoope01; Nov 8, 2018 at 2:11 pm Reason: Removed employee's name
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by leemaj
I have a reservation booked on points (60k Marriott points with 5th night free) for next year. I am Platinum Premier and will miss the free breakfast and upgrades.

Does anyone have any other Hawaii alternatives for high end on points? We are doing 3 nights in Honolulu for a friend's wedding and wanted to book something for 5 nights prior to the wedding somewhere else in Hawaii.
We really like Koloa Landing, but it is not a luxury hotel. More of a resort hotel/condo hybrid. Wailea Beach Resort is also very nice, but not luxury.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by EWR764
Update: the hotel reached out to me and agreed to extend the breakfast benefit over the last three nights of my stay, and will honor upgrade benefit consistent with my status. A fair solution that I'm satisfied with.
You are staying over the cut-over, right?

Anyone with data points for stays after November 15 completely? We are staying in December and so far were offered nothing from property and Starriott executive customer service ("go look at the website and book something else")...
EWR764 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by soartoday
You are staying over the cut-over, right?

Anyone with data points for stays after November 15 completely? We are staying in December and so far were offered nothing from property and Starriott executive customer service ("go look at the website and book something else")...
Got an award stay in December, and not getting any specific answers that I have regarding point reimbursements due to possible change/ cancellation. SPG email executive refers me to the hotel, the hotel in turn doesn't pick-up the phone nor returns VM left. Hotels email address gets returned as undeliverable.

It's getting pretty frustrating at this point and not very customer friendly. And certainly not very St. Regis-y.
soartoday likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:12 pm

We have a stay booked for February, 2019 using Marriott points (260,000 for five nights). I have this nagging feeling that by the time we get there they will have been independent long enough and will just see us as freeloaders and treat us accordingly. What do they have to lose by treating us poorly on a points stay? We can't complain to Marriott. I am Marriott Platinum and, like some of the previous posters, was looking forward to an upgrade from our base room, but that's not gonna happen now.

So, what would you do? Cancel and recoup the points? The only other Marriott property we could use the points at is the Sheraton Kauai. We've stayed there before but it is getting hammered in the reviews right now due to continuous construction at that property. Everyone says to make sure and get an ocean view room to get away from the noise, but the base room available with points is a "garden view" room; right where the construction is going on. Ugh! Would hate to have to pull the plug on this trip, but I'm thinking that I might have to. Have to decide before November 15th. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:25 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kbulo
Got an award stay in December, and not getting any specific answers that I have regarding point reimbursements due to possible change/ cancellation. SPG email executive refers me to the hotel, the hotel in turn doesn't pick-up the phone nor returns VM left. Hotels email address gets returned as undeliverable.

It's getting pretty frustrating at this point and not very customer friendly. And certainly not very St. Regis-y.
I’m confused. You can cancel the award stay and get your points back or keep it and the new management/owner will honor the booking. It’s your call. Marriott informed everyone by email who had a booking here, and Marriott did so with decent notice—especially considering that everyone knew there was a chance this hotel was going to be sold in the latter half of the year after the rumored sale first hit over the summer.

What exactly do you want to hear?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Plat
Thank for the response. Perhaps you have an answer?

The thing is that there’s a 30 day fee-free cancellation period prior to the first night’s stay. Since this has passed, I am unable to cancel or change the existing reservation. I can’t modify because it’s no longer a spg/Marriott property. I can cancel but would have to pay a significant cash penalty at current nightly rate. This being an award redemption with points, I’d like to expect that a number of points will be forfeited rather than cash since the payment currency for the stay are points. In addition, if I do end up paying the cash penalty, will I get my entire point balance used for the redemption reimbursed?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bobrawski
We have a stay booked for February, 2019 using Marriott points (260,000 for five nights).
. . .

. . .The only other Marriott property we could use the points at is the Sheraton Kauai. We've stayed there before but it is getting hammered in the reviews right now due to continuous construction at that property. Everyone says to make sure and get an ocean view room to get away from the noise, but the base room available with points is a "garden view" room; right where the construction is going on. Ugh! Would hate to have to pull the plug on this trip, but I'm thinking that I might have to. Have to decide before November 15th. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Why do you say "The only other Marriott property we could use the points at is the Sheraton Kauai"? You could also make a reservation on points at The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:52 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by kbulo
Thank for the response. Perhaps you have an answer?

The thing is that there’s a 30 day fee-free cancellation period prior to the first night’s stay. Since this has passed, I am unable to cancel or change the existing reservation. I can’t modify because it’s no longer a spg/Marriott property. I can cancel but would have to pay a significant cash penalty at current nightly rate. This being an award redemption with points, I’d like to expect that a number of points will be forfeited rather than cash since the payment currency for the stay are points. In addition, if I do end up paying the cash penalty, will I get my entire point balance used for the redemption reimbursed?
My understanding from the email I received was that Marriott was allowing cancellations without penalty since anything booked via Marriott had an expectation of Marriott management that won’t exist. Marriott notified everyone as far as I know almost 6 weeks in advance of the Nov 15 changeover date. So either way, you should have been in the clear. Whether or not you waited too long to decide, I am unable to ascertain.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin

My understanding from the email I received was that Marriott was allowing cancellations without penalty since anything booked via Marriott had an expectation of Marriott management that won’t exist. Marriott notified everyone as far as I know almost 6 weeks in advance of the Nov 15 changeover date. So either way, you should have been in the clear. Whether or not you waited too long to decide, I am unable to ascertain.
This. I have a reservation for Christmas. I was told by Marriott Executive Customer Service by email that cancellation deadline is Nov. 15, while the hotel is still affiliated with SPG. Once you're beyond this date, SPG/Marriott has no control.

I am going ahead with my reservation, expecting nothing but a basic room (hoping to get a room with a view when checking in), as a farewell stay. It's only for 2 nights, then we're off to Kauai Grand Hyatt for 6 nights.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
Why do you say "The only other Marriott property we could use the points at is the Sheraton Kauai"? You could also make a reservation on points at The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas.
Thanks for your comment. I should have clarified. It’s the only other Marriott that we would consider staying at. The Westin Villas might be great for some folks, but when we drove through them on a previous stay they looked to us more like you’re staying in condos than staying at a resort on a beach. To each his own, but we’d rather be on a beach.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:27 pm

Has anyone been able to get their points or suite night upgrades back after canceling either one of them? I canceled one of my reservations after Christmas but points haven’t come back. And the suite upgrades for a reservation I have over Christmas hasn’t been returned either. I called the ambassador desk I felt like they were not hearing me or just staring blankly back at me over the phone.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:49 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Crisphoarder
Has anyone been able to get their points or suite night upgrades back after canceling either one of them? I canceled one of my reservations after Christmas but points haven’t come back. And the suite upgrades for a reservation I have over Christmas hasn’t been returned either. I called the ambassador desk I felt like they were not hearing me or just staring blankly back at me over the phone.
Yes. My Ambassador canceled the booking for us shortly after the announcement was made that the hotel was sold. I got the points back about a week later.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:58 am

Pulled The Plug

After reading several recent negative reviews regarding this property on various review sites on the web, I decided to cancel our February 2019 awards reservation last night before the deadline. Had to cancel with CS on the phone and made them stay on the line while I logged back into my still separate SPG account to confirm that the 260,000 points showed up. Thankfully, they were there, and I got an immediate cancellation email as well.

Looking at my account activity this morning I see the cancellation. Unfortunately it shows “0” points in the description, but my balance is +260K. Hopefully it will be there when my SPG account gets combined with my Marriott account.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Crisphoarder
The points sometimes take a few days (usually 5-7 days if they weren't instant), but good luck with the SNAs. I had five disappear earlier this year from a cancelled reservation, and after spending 30+ minutes walking through my SNA history with my ambassador, I finally gave up. Before the call, I made a list of each reservation where I had an SNA clear and the confirmation numbers of all the current reservations that had pending awards to show that i was 5 short. They just kept repeating that the system showed I still had 4 SNAs available for use over and over, and I kept responding that it should be 9. I'll give it a try again next year after they hopefully have more experience, but it was one of the most painful calls I've ever had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.