Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 1:57 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Will be there in Feb on an award stay. However, the only option offered for points was the mountain/garden. GF who booked the room is a SPG Gold. How do we access the ocean view inventory?
Call the Customer Contact Center back and ask them to check for Specialty and/or Specialty Select awards.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
Thanks for the great report. Makes me regret the 10-days we spent at the begining of this month at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas. Your room was bigger (than our studio), nicer, with a better view than our in-the-corner room. Looks like we are headed to Kaui next trip!
Old Nov 27, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K AA-Ex Plat BA-Silver SPG-Life Plat
Thanks for the report also. Hubby and I are headed to Princeville next week. We go out to Hawaii 2 -3 times a year but find Kauai a bit too quiet for our taste but looking forward to the quiet this time. Last stayed there 5 years ago. The update looks great. Looking forward to eating at Kauai Grill. I will report back after we return.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I just checked some dates for next year and even on a "refundable" rate the cancellation policy is ONE MONTH! That seems quite restrictive! Is that par for the course in hawaii (haven't been in a while).

I also would be very unhappy without a lanai or balcony there.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 1:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I just checked some dates for next year and even on a "refundable" rate the cancellation policy is ONE MONTH! That seems quite restrictive! Is that par for the course in hawaii (haven't been in a while).
No, that is not common. That appears to be the St Regis trying to take advantage of someone that has a change in plans. Both the Sheraton Kauai and the SVO Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas have 3-day cancellation policies.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA G
Given the St. Regis and Westin are down the street from each other, does anyone think the St. Regis is worth the extra $$ (or points) to get in there?

I've got a stay the Westin pretty soon and I'm hoping for the best.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by unavaca
Given the St. Regis and Westin are down the street from each other, does anyone think the St. Regis is worth the extra $$ (or points) to get in there?

I've got a stay the Westin pretty soon and I'm hoping for the best.
Please post a report on your stay at the Westin. I've got a week stay there in June. Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:10 pm

When the Westin says they have "limited participaton in spg" does that mean you cannot EARN points when you pay for your stay there, or does it mean it is more problematic to redeem points for free stays?

Does everyone prefer the north shore to the south? (we'd also be considering the Hyatt).
Old Nov 28, 2009, 9:32 pm

When the Westin says they have "limited participaton in spg" does that mean you cannot EARN points when you pay for your stay there, or does it mean it is more problematic to redeem points for free stays?

Does everyone prefer the north shore to the south? (we'd also be considering the Hyatt).
You will earn points but there will be no in-hotel SPG benefits such as platinum thank you amenity, upgrades or late check out.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE

I also would be very unhappy without a lanai or balcony there.
One example of several I could list that has me convinced the general manager of this property is not playing for the long haul.

As a plat paying with 20,000 points, we were upgraded to Prince Jr. suite, same as pictured by OP. Little has been touched in the bathroom. On a previous stay we had seperate shower/bath, and not having that feature knocks out any chance of being a five star hotel. Why put a St. Regis label on this hotel?

There are a few design flaws, such as spa location and window placement in the exercise room.

If you want a terrace room, shoot for 9003. Views are superior from this part of building and there is some feel of seclusion with terrace that you will not have elsewhere.

How much do you tip parking valet when you are paying $26.03 per day for the service?

Prior to Princeville becoming too worn and torn, I thought it and the Hyatt were equally great for different reasons. Typing this from Hyatt, where I am much more comfortable. Not as snazzy a room, but off the charts as a value proposition.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:47 pm

Thanks to both of you.

I wouldn't pay for the St. Regis, it would be between the Westin and the Hyatt.

But honestly, I thought the bathrooms in the picture looked very nice - what would you change (or think they should have changed?). Unless the materials are very worn in person (that doesn't show up in the picture) I can't see an issue.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jwhite4
Starwood really needs to get some tech people working for them! I had a stay at the Westin Princeville Ocean Resorts (right up the road from the St Regis) last month. Fortunately we had free internet service (both wired and wireless).

What reallly got me was their television service. The rooms had 32" Samsung HD tv's, and Scientific Atlanta HD cable boxes. Wanna know the interconnect? Coax cable! Who was the idiot (pardon the language) who ordered that, not knowing you needmore than RG6 coax cable to pass HD signals. I cheated, I took the composite video + L/R audio RAC cable from the living room tv (used to connect the DVD to the tv), and basically connected the component outputs on the cable box to the tv. Voila, HD picture!

The DVD player also had HDMI output, it would have been so much easier (and lot cleaner looking) to connect both the cable box and the dvd player to the tv with HDMI cables ($5 or less at monoprice.com). These are timeshares resorts supposedly selling for $60k/wk, with $2500/yr annual fees.

Do resorts think that people that pay this type of money (including the nightly rates at the St Regis) don't know what a proper HD picture looks like, or are okay with computer equipment that's not properly configured?

Jeff
Personally I try not to watch any TV when in Hawaii. Managed to go 8 days earlier this month without switching it on once. That said, I agree with everything you said...it's not so complicated to set this stuff up properly.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
This is a beautiful property, and I'm glad to hear they are still upgrading platinums to junior suites. Huge benefit! I think I preferred the old decor in the main level of the hotel over the new furniture and color scheme, but the location is so spectacular it's hard to focus on that anyway. Thanks for the report.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.1MM, SPG Plat
I just found out yesterday that if you are an owner, the smaller half of the room can be upgraded to the bigger room with the separate living room/dining room and full kitchen based on availability on check in for no cost, no money or spg points.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by minyung
I just found out yesterday that if you are an owner, the smaller half of the room can be upgraded to the bigger room with the separate living room/dining room and full kitchen based on availability on check in for no cost, no money or spg points.
The thread is for the St Regis Princeville. I assume your post is for the Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.