Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Need two nights to make MR plat.. Stays are going to be hard

Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment

Will be two days short of Plat.. With family vacations and business I am pretty much booked solid so a mattress run would be hard..

1) Should I? Main incentive is SPG match

2) Any way to get nights without staying?

3) Chances of Comp plat? Note: My 75 includes a swag of bonuses and rollovers.. I reliably make gold each year.. this will be my first plat

Could not find a suitable thread.. please feel free to merge
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Marriott sometimes moves you up to Gold or Plat if you are within a few nights, so you may have nothing to worry about. You can call and ask. About ten years ago I was about three or four nights away from renewing Plat. I called and was told they had already renewed me for the next year.

Some years there is an offer to buy back your status with points. Others may be able to give your more details on how many points and whether it's been offered the past couple years. I'm LTP, so I've stopped paying attention to or receiving those offers.

My first year as Plat I was a few nights short. My friend's parents were coming into town, so I met them at a Marriott, checked in with them and they paid me for the room. Of course, I didn't sleep in the room with them, but I did get the credit for the nights' points. We went out to dinner one night and I picked up the check to make up for them not getting the points.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-required.html
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.. And yeah.. I saw the meeting room thread.. My main worry there is how hard that is to orgainze as a quick thing.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Thanks.. And yeah.. I saw the meeting room thread.. My main worry there is how hard that is to orgainze as a quick thing.
Well you have 24 days to make it work.

Cheers.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
My only attempt at this resulted in zero response from Marriott corporate, so I definitely wouldn't suggest putting it off until the last minute. But most folks around these parts seen to have fared pretty well with this route.

I may try again because of the rollover nights counting double towards LTS (or so I gather from reading posts in this forum - not something that I 100% know to be fact).

Good luck.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:25 pm

You might look to see if there are any local (home) hotels with cheap redemption rates. Book a couple of non-contiguous nights, check in and go back home. If point rates are reasonable, that could get you over the hump pretty easily.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
You might look to see if there are any local (home) hotels with cheap redemption rates. Book a couple of non-contiguous nights, check in and go back home. If point rates are reasonable, that could get you over the hump pretty easily.
Hmm Good idea.. So if you don't check out this is not an issue?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic, hertz Presidents Club, National Exec Elite
If you use Marriott App you can check out on your phone. Or if not just call hotel and ask them to check you out of room
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Do you have the Chase Marriott credit card? If not, get that, as it'll get you 15 nights and you'll have nothing to worry about.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Do you have the Chase Marriott credit card? If not, get that, as it'll get you 15 nights and you'll have nothing to worry about.
I don't... I have considered this.. I already have two cards, one free backup card (credit union) and United Club card..

What is the fee like on the Marriott card? I might get into spousal distress with CC +1
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:53 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by smithrob1
If you use Marriott App you can check out on your phone. Or if not just call hotel and ask them to check you out of room
Another tip: Move a pillow on the bed or make some other minor disruption to the room to confirm the room was "used."
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I almost never check-out. When checking in, I make sure the desk clerk says the correct check-out date. On my last morning, I look at the bill slipped under the door and just walk out the front door of the hotel. Sometimes I'll mention to the desk that Room XXX is empty now. In fifteen years, there's never been a problem. The receipt is emailed and accessible on the app.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
If you are going to do a
Mattress run check into the current ebreaks promotion. I saw prices as low as $47 a night. Here is the link http://www.marriottebreaks.com
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I rarely formally check out of any US hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.