Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

unlike airlines, Platinum means nothing to Marriott

Old May 25, 2015, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Usually one gets better service as an elite member of an airline. From my experience with Marriott today there is no extra service for a Platinum member (only the delineated benefits, not actually better customer service).

Is that true from your experience as well?
Old May 25, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
No.

The exact opposite for me.

I feel like Marriott is the only company that really gets a loyalty program and status recognition. United and Delta, which are my two main airlines are a joke in comparison.

Billy
Old May 25, 2015, 10:45 am
Original Poster

I guess my points of comparison:
Marriott customer service isn't always open (for example, closed today, Memorial Day). Airlines customer service is always open.

For airlines, the people you speak to on the phone can do an awful lot. For Marriott seems like they cannot do much. You have to speak to a supervisor for anything significant.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I disagree. When I call to PP they don't hesitate to call property for me and arrange something. Keep in mind that unlike airlines, Marriott doesn't own properties (most of them anyways).
Old May 25, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I disagree. Having elite status with an airline does not result in better customer service. Generally you're dealing with the same staff either way. The differences is that, as an elite, the staff are more likely to answer your request with "Yes" than "No", based on published elite benefits. Like: "Any free upgrades left?" GA to Platinum: "You're #3 on the list, sir." GA to no-status passenger: "No."

I find the same thing at Marriott hotels. It's the same people working the desk, whether I'm plat or a no-status member who booked a room through Priceline. The difference is that when I'm plat they're more likely to say "Yes" to requests such as an upgraded room, early check-in, and late check-out -- the three things I most frequently request.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:02 am

I tend to receive better service from Marriott for status verses United with status. Every time I have called they have worked out my issues at Marriott.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
With airlines, elite status gives benefits that have overall declined over time, but they're applied generally consistently - there are a few differences in domestic vs. international travel, but that's the main cleavage.

With Marriott, elite status gives benefits applied quite inconsistently depending on the hotel you end up at. Platinum status is supposed to give you free wifi - oops, except at "resort" hotels, which add a resort fee that includes wifi. Oops, not all resort hotels. Oh, and also, some hotels that no one with any common sense would refer to as "resort."

Platinum status gives you access to the lounge - when there is a lounge; and not on weekends; or not on Sundays; except for hurricane season in "resorts" starting with an L in latitudes between 5 degrees south and 12 degrees north. But not Antigua. Unless "resort" is in the title.

It's the extensive inconsistency making the benefits extremely difficult to decipher that makes Marriott worse than airlines in many respects.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Usually one gets better service as an elite member of an airline. From my experience with Marriott today there is no extra service for a Platinum member (only the delineated benefits, not actually better customer service).

Is that true from your experience as well?
No, the opposite. I'm treated better by Marriott than I was by United.

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I guess my points of comparison:
Marriott customer service isn't always open (for example, closed today, Memorial Day). Airlines customer service is always open.

For airlines, the people you speak to on the phone can do an awful lot. For Marriott seems like they cannot do much. You have to speak to a supervisor for anything significant.
Marriott reservations is open today, as are all airlines. Marriott Rewards customer service is closed, as I bet some/most/all airline customer service centers.
Old May 25, 2015, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These arguments tend to be a bit silly. Depends on what you are looking for by way of service. That's why some people choose Marriott and others choose XXX.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's another great example of inconsistency - thanks to Horace for spelling it out so well:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post24832718
Old May 25, 2015, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I can't speak for all airlines but I get much better treatment with Marriott as an elite than I do with the airlines. Yes I'm looking at you United and no I'm not talking silver due to Marriott deal. I have 2 million miles with United and got to watch my bennies drop when Continental took over (RIP United 03/12/12).

Btw - my upgrade success with Marriott is much higher than United. And oh yeah I get real folk who can sort out things with Marriott than United,who normAlly can't find its hand with the other hand and blames it all on he computers. I also Don't have to pay for meals for the most part Marriott unlike the airline. Also a very few resorts aside I get free WiFi with Marriott,unlike us where I have to pay for it. Oh yeah except for RI and TPS I get full points
With starcalliance partners a lot of them are now based on dollar spend and still require you to go through hoops, way worse than Marriott, to get points credited.

I hate auto correct.

Cheers
Old May 25, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I can't speak for all airlines but I get much better treatment with Marriott as an elite than I do with the airlines. Yes I'm looking at you United and no I'm not talking silver due to Marriott deal.
As a MR Plat and as a 1k on UA for more than a decade I agree.

Basically Marriott treats the bulk of their customers decently and treats elites somewhat better. The airlines treat the bulk of their customers like garbage and treat their elites somewhat decently. The contrasts are stark.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And on top of all that it is MUCH easier to actually redeem Marriott points for a trip I actually want to take then to redeem airline miles.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Here's another great example of inconsistency - thanks to Horace for spelling it out so well:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post24832718
Out of curiosity do the people complaining about inconsistency at courtyards regarding breakfast want the Asian courtyards to stop serving breakfast? Because that would make it consistent.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Out of curiosity do the people complaining about inconsistency at courtyards regarding breakfast want the Asian courtyards to stop serving breakfast? Because that would make it consistent.
I dunno. Do the people complaining about inconsistency at United or American want those airlines to eliminate first class? Because that would make it consistent too. <shrugs>

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.