Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queens Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Mridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Mridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First

for those wanting an update on events here you can read them over in the Starwood forum which continues to allow posts on what's up here as some travelers to BKK are interested if their future stay will be OK (such as last protest which led to both the Ren & CY being closed, sandbagged and barbed wired) and safe, especially with these 2 properties being w/i a stones throw of Police HQ which has always been a venue of anti-gov't forces...........
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...it-hotels.html

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
And a gentle reminder to everyone that this is a hotel forum, not a who's protesting & what color shirt are they wearing forum. FT has a Thailand forum, so if folk want updates on what's happening re: protests I'd recommend they check that forum so that this thread can stay on topic re: properties. TIA.

Cheers.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
for those wanting an update on events here you can read them over in the Starwood forum which continues to allow posts on what's up here as some travelers to BKK are interested if their future stay will be OK (such as last protest which led to both the Ren & CY being closed, sandbagged and barbed wired) and safe, especially with these 2 properties being w/i a stones throw of Police HQ which has always been a venue of anti-gov't forces...........
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...it-hotels.html
I've never edited, deleted or complained about a post on current political conditions in Thailand. Feel free to post such information -- briefly -- in the Marriott forum.

Bruce
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

expect anti-gov't folks to rally again this coming week, for at least a week, and try to shut down major parts of the city including Ratchadamnern (old downtown) and Rajaprasong Police HQ (w/i spitting distance of both Ren & CY) along with 18-other currently unannounced venues (but IMO Asoke will be targetted).....

SkyTrain is an option, but expect it to be like Tokyo during rush hour.....

IMO, neither airport are expected to be targetted, but getting transport into the city will be a problem as intersections are blocked.....

update : the anti-govt leaders have announced their intent to close down Bangkok on 13 Jan with largest group of opposition members including electric/water cuts to gov't offices and bring functioning gov't to a complete standstill...

Last edited by BKKLEE; Jan 2, 2014 at 11:27 pm Reason: update
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
one nighter stays at Ren, JW, Marriott on Suk 57

Ok, my first marriott stays in BKK. As a new gold member (being a United 1K), I decided to try out the Marriotts in Bangkok. Given that I'm a SPG Plat, it is hard to adjust as a lowly Marriott gold. The first night was spent at Renaissance, and was upgraded to a room on the club lounge floor. I really hate the "glass" wall separeting the bathroom and the bedroom. The toilet was not even covered. At the bare minimum, a blind should be available. I don't think I would like to see my spouse using the toilet. Anyhow, as far as lounge goes, it is decent. The location is not all that great, it is still a hike just to get out onto Suk. Second night was spent at JW Marriott, again, hate the location; it is quite far to the BTS, and when it seems quite dangerous to walk around late at night, since the street is not well lit. Then, the Marriott on Suk 57, a bit out of the way, but is closer to the BTS compared to JW. However, the showers only can get up to "warm" water not hot. Water pressure is fine. Lounge offering is limited, but club access guests can have breakfast downstairs. Breakfast offering is pale in comparision to those of SPG (LM, Plaza Athenee, and Sheraton Grande). Not sold on the Marriott program nor the hotels in BKK (sorry Marriott folks). And I will continue to be loyal to SPG.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by sink
I really hate the "glass" wall separeting the bathroom and the bedroom. The toilet was not even covered. At the bare minimum, a blind should be available.
There is a motor-driven blind for privacy. You must've not noticed the switch for it. Problem with SPG there is no free bfast unless you are Plat. They do have nice coverage for Thailand though
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sink
Ok, my first marriott stays in BKK. As a new gold member (being a United 1K), I decided to try out the Marriotts in Bangkok. Given that I'm a SPG Plat, it is hard to adjust as a lowly Marriott gold. The first night was spent at Renaissance, and was upgraded to a room on the club lounge floor. I really hate the "glass" wall separeting the bathroom and the bedroom. The toilet was not even covered. At the bare minimum, a blind should be available. I don't think I would like to see my spouse using the toilet. Anyhow, as far as lounge goes, it is decent. The location is not all that great, it is still a hike just to get out onto Suk. Second night was spent at JW Marriott, again, hate the location; it is quite far to the BTS, and when it seems quite dangerous to walk around late at night, since the street is not well lit. Then, the Marriott on Suk 57, a bit out of the way, but is closer to the BTS compared to JW. However, the showers only can get up to "warm" water not hot. Water pressure is fine. Lounge offering is limited, but club access guests can have breakfast downstairs. Breakfast offering is pale in comparision to those of SPG (LM, Plaza Athenee, and Sheraton Grande). Not sold on the Marriott program nor the hotels in BKK (sorry Marriott folks). And I will continue to be loyal to SPG.
Evident you are just trying to trash Marriott and have no idea what you are talking about. The motorized blind is a case in point.

Also it is a 2 minute walk to Ploenchit from the Ren. How short do you need it. The Executive Lounge at the Ren is fabulous with lots of choices to eat at night and an excellent breakfast including an omlette station.

JW Marriott is in a completely safe area at all times of day and is a 5 minute walk to the Skytrain.

Since I have never stayed at Sukhumvit 57 I will just assume you are comletely wrong on that as well>
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by kapkap46
Evident you are just trying to trash Marriott and have no idea what you are talking about. The motorized blind is a case in point.

Also it is a 2 minute walk to Ploenchit from the Ren. How short do you need it. The Executive Lounge at the Ren is fabulous with lots of choices to eat at night and an excellent breakfast including an omlette station.

JW Marriott is in a completely safe area at all times of day and is a 5 minute walk to the Skytrain.

Since I have never stayed at Sukhumvit 57 I will just assume you are comletely wrong on that as well>
Not sure what sink considers a bit out of the way in terms of what and how far. Thong Lor has some of my favorite spots in the city. There's a small french restaurant very close to Suk57 with the best prepared lobster around. Take a stroll inside soi 55 and you'll find many gems. If the NEP environment is your style, then yes Suk57 may be a bit out of the way. One can cut down the schlep to the sky train by simply hopping on the friendly neighborhood motorbike.

I've spent many a days around JW at all hours of the day. It's completely safe. One may not recognize the security but it's there. Likely as a result of diplomats, heads of state, VIPs staying at JW. Don't stand in the intersection of soi 4 and you'll be fine

Last edited by iadp; Jan 3, 2014 at 12:07 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:51 am

Just visited Bangkok for the first time. Stayed 4 nights at the Ren using Cat 5 certs. I made it a habbit to contact all hotels where I`m elite upfront of a stay, advising them of my reservation and asking for benefits. At the Ren, I got upgraded to a Club Studio after my email and that`s exactly where I ended up.

The property is absolutely fabulous! Great location, train station right in front of it. Several huge malls around the corner, 15 minute walk to Sukhumvit party area. The building and the rooms are in very good shape, I love the style and feel. Staff was outstanding, always doing more than they needed.

The lounge is probably the best I`ve been to so far, only downside is that no tables were available in the evenings every time we got there so we had to wait or take a seat at the couch table areas. I always have eggs benedict for breakfast (try their R style eggs with spinach and special sauce), the third and fourth morning they brought them already without me ordering them a few moments after I walked into the lounge. That`s what I call service!

So all in all, one of the best hotel stays I`ve ever had!

I only have two negative points: The pool was too cold. It`s semi-outside and not heated. 18 degree celcius is no fun to go into. Second point, as a Plat you gt a free 15 minute head and shoulder massage. I asked if it can be extended to 30-60 minutes against payment and they said no, they don`t offer that. Very odd.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:01 am

Here`s the infoletter with the benefits you receive when placed on the executive floor. I used the free laundry cleaning 3 times for dress shirt, suite jacket and pants.

Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

the recent, but now gone, 17C mornings with 22C highs wouldn't help the pool temp, but honestly the pool doesn't get much warmer even in the summer.......

this is TH.....nearly everything is for sale.....they had to misunderstand what you wanted as no way were they gonna say no to money...... (but you need to understand the Thai way of saying they understand but have absolutely NO idea what you are saying)......

Originally Posted by Hosserunda
I only have two negative points: The pool was too cold. It`s semi-outside and not heated. 18 degree celcius is no fun to go into. Second point, as a Plat you gt a free 15 minute head and shoulder massage. I asked if it can be extended to 30-60 minutes against payment and they said no, they don`t offer that. Very odd.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
the recent, but now gone, 17C mornings with 22C highs wouldn't help the pool temp, but honestly the pool doesn't get much warmer even in the summer.......

this is TH.....nearly everything is for sale.....they had to misunderstand what you wanted as no way were they gonna say no to money...... (but you need to understand the Thai way of saying they understand but have absolutely NO idea what you are saying)......
You could be right, or maybe not. In any way it doesn`t matter because it doesn`t affect the impression I got of the hotel overall which should be noted since you only referred to my "negative" comments.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

the 20-intersections targetted for anti-gov't protests and closure on 13 Jan are -

1) Uruphong
2) Charoenpol
3) Hua Lamphong
4) Bang Rak
5) Silom
6) Sam Yan
7) Phaya Thai
8) Ratchathewi
9) The Victory Monument
10) Siam Square
11) Lat Phrao five-way intersection
12) Din Daeng
13) Pratunam
14) Ratchaprasong (Ren & CY)
15) Lumpini
16) Klong Toey
17) Asok
18) Ratchadamnoen
19) Petchaburi
20) Yaowarat

Last edited by BKKLEE; Jan 3, 2014 at 3:00 am
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
I am certainly not an expert but so far his Bark has been way worse then his bite.

He has not shown the ability to close multiple locations because he does not have enough followers or paid followers.

I hope this continues because if he can pull anything like this off then the Military is likely to step in again.

Since I have some good friends who have had their lives turned upside down since they live in the one area they have consistently demonstrated , I am anxious for them to resolve it some how even if it is the military.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:35 am

Cancelled our February 2 trip. Going to the Caribbean to relax instead. Will look into rebooking when things are resolved. Thank you for all the updates. We were staying at the Renaissance, and it was very helpful to know how the demonstrations affected that particular property.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Originally Posted by kapkap46
As a reference point, we typically stay at the Sheraton Grande and Westin Grande. Love the new Terminal 21. It is so easy and convenient. Sheraton Grande have a direct BTS access, while the stairs to the BTS is just in front of Westin. So, it is great for lazy people like us. I would love it if Ren is located right off of Suk. I just found Central World and love the numerous selection of restaurants there. I am not in the business of trashing Marriott, I just wanted to share a SPG Plat perspective. And since Marriott gold is equilivent to SPG Platinum in terms of number of nights to qualify (and only 25 stays to qualifty for SPG), I am just comparing the "treatment" I personnally received from Marriott's and SPGs in Bangkok.

I was really scared walking back late at night to JW when the street, and a BKK friend told me about three men robbing tourists (not sure if it is rumor or what). I did not read about it in the news though. But, I was surely scared.

Crossing any street in BKK is dangerous in my opionion. So, I prefer to cross with pedestrian bridge if possible. So, to me JW (Soi 4; although small, traffic is very busy) and Marriott 57 walking to the BTS is a bit tough (Soi 55 is Thong Lo).

Although it is great to gain lounge access as a lowly Marriott gold (Marriott's lounges have SPG beat), but the SPG Plat benefit for suite upgrades and breakfast in the restaurant is better in "my opinion".

I thought it was odd to not have blinds, but I did not find the switch for it.

So bottom line, I apologize to anyone who thought I was trashing Ren/JW/Bangkok Marriott.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.