Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I Expecting Too Much as a PLT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by pifloyd
Slightly different, but should I expect breakfast as a Plat at Courtyard?
Not unless you pay for it or it's built into your rate. It is not a standard benefit at CYs.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by pifloyd
Slightly different, but should I expect breakfast as a Plat at Courtyard?
No.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I don't do this often, but when I've got some need-based request on the room, I call ahead of time and speak to the front desk. The truth seems to work, as far as rationale. I'm two for two in the past several months. Be polite. Let them know it is a request, if it's possible, not something you demand as a Silver/Gold/Plat

Fair point, well made - as for the examples you state:

My view is simple - book & pay for what you NEED

An upgrade ought to be exactly that - more than you NEED
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Wickersley

I see what you mean, and agree with booking and paying for what I need, but sometimes there is a difference between what I need and/or can live with and what would be great to have if at all possible.

In well over 100 nights in ~75 unique check-ins over the past year, I've asked twice. If it cannot be done, I'm fine with that, but I'm not going to feel bad that, as a good Marriott customer, I've asked for this extra consideration about 3% of the time.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:35 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
I also have a data point to add. Stayed last minute at the CY Allen, TX last Friday on a cert (had been drinking, late night, and didn't want to drive 30 minutes). Didn't check in until midnight. I asked about getting an UG as a PLT, especially since it was so late in the night and it was unlikely a last minute revenue customer would come in and request a suite/junior suite. Check-in tried to UG for five minutes, but were unable. Apparently their system won't UG non-rev reservations. As I was dead tired, I just let is slide and took the room that was booked.
I have had this happen at a couple of Select-Service Properties. FOSSE requires a rate code change in order to upgrade a Rewards Certificate. Depending on how much management empowers the employees, at some properties a standard front line employee can do this and at other properties, only management is allowed/knows how to do this.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:30 pm
Suspended

I agree... I'm knocking on the door to Lifetime PLT status. I call ahead and see if any upgrades available. I've gotten them at the MCO Marriott FS and the Gateway Marriott at DCA. It works! I don't expect it every time but I've had luck
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:33 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Courtyard is a limited service brand, and really the in-stay benefits of Plat arbitrage best at FS.

Marriott has I think 17 brands, but 8 brands make up the vast majority of inventory. These separate into 3 types of hotel:

Limited Service

Fairfield Inn
Courtyard

Full Service

Marriott
JW Marriott
Renaissance
Autograph

Long Stay

Residence Inn
Townplace Suites

The principle benefits of Plat are split into 2 parts, the points which comprise of the arrival points and 50% bonus points. The second part is the in-stay benefits, room upgrade, lounge access, free breakfast. The problem for Plats is that, with the exception of room upgrades, the in-stay benefits only apply to the full service hotels.

Now since the long stays include breakfast as does the Bargain-brand Fairfield, you'll notice here that by default as a plat, the only brand that you don't get free breakfast at is the Courtyard. Furthermore, CYs (like FFI) generally don't have many suites, or indeed different types of rooms so there's not much to upgrade to.

As a result a lot of elites avoid CYs. I personally don't, though as a Brit we don't have that many. When I do consider them I weigh in the cost of breakfast and the benefit is get form the lounge and that usually makes the marginally cheaper CY the more expensive option. Over 600 nights at Marriott, and only 1 night at a CY!

So, yes, if you're expecting anything other than the extra points at Courtyard, you really are expecting too much!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
As a result a lot of elites avoid CYs. I personally don't, though as a Brit we don't have that many. When I do consider them I weigh in the cost of breakfast and the benefit is get form the lounge and that usually makes the marginally cheaper CY the more expensive option. Over 600 nights at Marriott, and only 1 night at a CY!
This is actually why many of us choose SHS over CY. Those two brands are quite compatible, with the free breakfast being the biggest difference. CY rooms are sometimes plusher, but the layout of a SHS is usually a bigger room with a somewhat separate living area. There are many SHS on this side of the world, so there's no problem finding them in most areas.

Last edited by CJKatl; Mar 4, 2015 at 11:00 am
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Even as a plat, we prefer a nicer, newer Fairfield Inn over a Courtyard. Maybe just due to where I travel, but most of them are run down. Will either try to upgrade to a marriott or just go for the Fairfield, and get the free breakfast.

I have actually had better luck upgrading to the executive suites at Fairfield than any room at courtyards.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

So, yes, if you're expecting anything other than the extra points at Courtyard, you really are expecting too much!
Except in Asia, where CYs are more like FS properties & have exec lounges.

Re: ROW, if a CY does offer something extra & FTers report it I add that CY propert(ies) to the exec lounge sticky. Because ROW it's more the exception than the norm there aren't too many but there are some.

Cheers.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Wickersley

I booked exactly what I needed for a mid-week stay at a CY this past week.

And was put in to literally the worst, most poorly located, noisiest room (loud exterior noise) in the hotel.

...?

I have a note in to the GM, we'll see what kind of response I get.

Plus one item from the market.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I booked exactly what I needed for a mid-week stay at a CY this past week.

And was put in to literally the worst, most poorly located, noisiest room (loud exterior noise) in the hotel.

...?

I have a note in to the GM, we'll see what kind of response I get.
Why wait? Why don't you go to FD and ask for a different room? I don't mind not getting an upgrade (nice but not mandatory). However being put in a noisiest room is a big issue for me.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by iztok
Why wait? Why don't you go to FD and ask for a different room? I don't mind not getting an upgrade (nice but not mandatory). However being put in a noisiest room is a big issue for me.
Late, tired arrival. Early start the next day.

Yes, you are right, I should have been more proactive, and given the hotel a chance to 'make it right'.

But I just wanted to go to bed.

I had made the reservation 3 weeks in advance. They knew I was coming and when (mobile check in).

Why reserve the absolute worst room in the hotel for me?

I don't get it.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Late, tired arrival. Early start the next day.

Yes, you are right, I should have been more proactive, and given the hotel a chance to 'make it right'.

But I just wanted to go to bed.

I had made the reservation 3 weeks in advance. They knew I was coming and when (mobile check in).

Why reserve the absolute worst room in the hotel for me?

I don't get it.
I don't either. Hence I would have dealt with it at that time. At minimum I would have picked up a phone and talk to FD from the room. As a PP I appreciate the upgrade but what I expect is definitely a room at good location within the category I've reserved.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:41 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Courtyard is a limited service brand, and really the in-stay benefits of Plat arbitrage best at FS.

Marriott has I think 17 brands, but 8 brands make up the vast majority of inventory. These separate into 3 types of hotel:

Limited Service

Fairfield Inn
Courtyard

Full Service

Marriott
JW Marriott
Renaissance
Autograph

Long Stay

Residence Inn
Townplace Suites

The principle benefits of Plat are split into 2 parts, the points which comprise of the arrival points and 50% bonus points. The second part is the in-stay benefits, room upgrade, lounge access, free breakfast. The problem for Plats is that, with the exception of room upgrades, the in-stay benefits only apply to the full service hotels.

Now since the long stays include breakfast as does the Bargain-brand Fairfield, you'll notice here that by default as a plat, the only brand that you don't get free breakfast at is the Courtyard. Furthermore, CYs (like FFI) generally don't have many suites, or indeed different types of rooms so there's not much to upgrade to.

I think there is a lot of revenue actually from SpringHill Suites, too, in the limited services. I don't much get the appeal of Courtyard though. I have not found them better than Fairfield or SpringHill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.