Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Grand Hotel Flora Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Old Jan 23, 2000, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

Has anyone stayed at this property? I understand that it has been redone in the last year.

My wife and I are contemplating a trip to Rome next month (love those winter airfares) and would like any suggestions regarding this or other hotels.

Actually, this is our first trip to Rome so suggestions about almost anything (restaurants, transportation, crime, etc.) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 24, 2000, 8:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I'm also looking at Italy next month. The winter airfares are great but the accomodations are a sticker shock.
Old Jan 26, 2000, 7:47 pm

I haven't stayed at this property either, but I would certainly consider staying there on my next trip. Other hotels worth considering include the De La Ville Inter-Continental (in spite of the extremely dirty facade I saw last year), the Ambasciatori Palace (located on the same street as the Marriott and is a member of the French Concorde Hotel chain), and the D'Inghilterra. These three hotels are probably somewhat pricier than the Marriott. The Hilton is just too far from the city center and the Crowne Plaza has an impressive lobby but plain rooms.

When in Rome, beware of pickpockets (especially gypsies and children finding ways to distract you). I ran into some near the Vatican museum but did not lose my wallet. For this reason, I have avoided taking buses (especially the number 64). I have used the metro/subway system a number of times and found that many people (Italians included) do not know that they can purchase more than one ticket at a time from the machine simply by using the "+" button. As a result, I spent a lot of time waiting for my turn at the ticket machine at the Spanish Steps station. While the metro system is efficient, it is rather inconvenient because only the Spanish Steps and the Colosseum are located right next to a metro station. To get to the other main tourist attractions, you can expect walk quite a bit.

Finally, don't miss the Borghese Gallery, which reopened about a year ago. It's located within the Borghese gardens very near the Marriott. To visit the precious art collection, you will need reservations.
Old Jan 28, 2000, 8:31 am
Original Poster

UpInTheAir,

Thanks for the response. The information is appreciated.

The Intercontinental property was actually my first choice, but a bit more money than I wanted to pay. I will keep watching their website for any last minute deals (which they sometimes have).

Old Jan 3, 2001, 11:45 pm

I have just booked four nights at the Grand Flora Marriott using a Marriott rewards certificate for 3 nights and paying for the fourth in early February. If you have frequent guest points, you might try this to cut costs. I also found rates between $150-$200 US for the Holiday Inn (Vatican area) and several Rome area Best Western properties. Or go to any of the hotel discount web sites (search under discount hotels) for other options. Rome is NOT cheap "off season"... as others have found.

American Express has been offering 4 day hotel and breakfast packages to several Italian cities including Rome; you can also find some excellent Rome area hotel only options through British Airways holidays programs (see a travel agent), some with buy three nights get one free promotions until March 31st.

Good luck.. will comment on our experience at this hotel once we get back. Our first trip to Europe!

------------------
StevenFleming
Chambersburg PA USA
Old Jan 4, 2001, 5:33 am
Original Poster

I ended up staying at the Intercontinental and later regreted not staying at the Grand Flora. Although, the Grand Flora seems out of the way at the top of Via Veneto, there are plenty of restaurants nearby and you are across the street from the park containing the Borghese Gardens.

Additionally, there is a subway entrance across the street. Through a series of walkways and escalators, it leads to the subway station at the Spanish steps.

Old Jan 4, 2001, 6:18 am
GG

We stayed there last February. It was definitely worth doing on points. We had a nice room with a small balcony overlooking the Villa Borghese; the bath was even nicer. Our friends who also were staying on points had a much smaller room that faced the courtyard. It was adequate. Maybe it's the difference between how they treat Platinums and non-status people.

If I were paying, I dunno. I might just look for a pensione, if I couldn't afford my favorite hotel, the Eden. (We couldn't - it's VERY expensive.) But consider dinner at its rooftop restaurant - wonderful views and excellent food and service. It's only about 4 blocks from the Marriott on Via Ludovisi. Actually we had an extremely good meal the one time we ate in the Marriott dining room. Beware the bar though - they offered a special on a glass of wine - on the bar menu with NO "fine print". The next evening a different barman said we had to order overpriced appetizers to get the promo price. We declined, but discovered we'd been charged full price for the previous day's wine. And no the hotel wouldn't adjust the charge. It wasn't that much money, but it was tacky, and definitely not what we expect from Marriott.

If you pop into a "bar" on the Veneto for coffee or tea or a sandwich, be aware that you'll be charged 2 or 3 times as much for the same fare if you sit down than you will if you consume your food standing up like the Romans. (I don't remember this being a problem outside the tourist areas, however.)

I can't emphasize UpInTheAir's warning about thieves enough. My husband lived in (northern) Italy for 4 years and speaks the language, so we initially weren't as careful as we should have been perhaps. He was lucky - all the gypsies got was some random old (unspendable) Italian currency, 10 (unfortunately spendable) English pounds and his bank deposit register. On a bus, I had my purse slit open - again fortunately, they didn't succeed in getting into the compartments with my stuff, but the purse was ruined.

If you take taxis, be sure they are metered, and that they drop the meter!

There is a mini-bus which you can catch right across from the Marriott that runs up and down the Veneto, and makes a circle trip as far as Piazza Navona or maybe farther. We found it ok to use in terms of safety. Buy tickets for it at the kiosk just outside the Marriott (also underground and regular bus tickets.)

We actually found the underground was the most useful mode of transportation besides feet. You can also use it to get to the Vatican area, Piazza del Popolo, etc.

The cheapest way to get from FCO into Rome is the train, but be aware that you will walk a VERY long way from the train to get into the station proper and out onto the street. If you don't have a lot of luggage, and you're not exhausted, it's fine. But there are shuttles you can take as an alternative, which might be worth the extra money. I'd stay away from the overpriced taxis.

I'll post a few restaurant comments later.

Old Jan 4, 2001, 6:27 am
GG

You know, I didn't look at the dates on these posts (it's early in the am - yawn!). Seems I'm a little late with these comments for BillMorrow and seawolf.

StevenFleming, hope you'll find them useful.
Old Jan 4, 2001, 10:18 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Thanks for all the tips, I'll be going in early May and staying at the St Regis Grand--so all the above information is great! How much is the train from FCO, and do you have to buy your ticket prior to boarding??
Old Jan 4, 2001, 11:00 am

For more Italy tips check out www.igougo.com There's alot of practical advise.
Old Jan 4, 2001, 5:23 pm
DOC 2 BE

I was there over Thanksgiving. Ask away.

Old Jan 4, 2001, 7:46 pm
GG

mauld: the train fare from FCO depends on which train. The nonstop to the Stazione Centrale is about 16,000 lira pp (was about $8 a year ago). That's the most expensive. The local is quite a bit cheaper, but not so easy - we don't think any of the information is in English. But keep in mind that you then have to get to your hotel from the train station, which could easily double the cost.

"Do you have to buy your ticket prior to boarding?" Yes, but the kiosk's right there.

An (honest) taxi/limo is supposed to cost about $50, maybe more with luggage charges. No first hand knowledge. I'd probably go that way next time - those overnight flights seem to hit me harder than they used to.

Library Dragon's got a good starting point - there's lots of info on the web, which I'm sure you know already. What I've found difficult about web info is how to evaluate it. By all means, hit the web, and come back here for feedback on what you've learned. We'll be thrilled to impart our wisdom!
(I'm pretty new to FT, but I'm having a ball, learning lots, and really pleased when I can pass along knowledge I have. I'll be the neo again on the PiP 2001 topic - noticed that you're planning on that excursion. It's sooo-o-o-o tempting... )

[This message has been edited by GG (edited 01-04-2001).]
Old Jan 4, 2001, 8:53 pm
DOC 2 BE

I am sure the St. Regis Grand is quite a nice hotel, but its location leaves alot to be desired as it is somewhat near the train station. If you could instead stay at the Westin Excelsior with your points, that would be the better choice as it is on the Via Veneto and only 1 block from the Marriott.

Old Jan 4, 2001, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

GG,

Don't worry about the dates.

The great thing is that every time we post info and tips for people, it adds to the overall knowledge base provided by FlyerTalk. In the future, all people have to do is search pm key words and the opinions pop up.
Old Jan 25, 2001, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
Rome Grand Flora Hotel - Ants in the Kitchen

Currently staying at the Rome Flora. Just ordered a salad in the bar/coffee shop. When the waiter lifted the silver cover, we were greeted by an ant circling around the plate!

Booked here on short notice because they had a better rate than the Westin. Never again.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
LAX, LHR, CDG, et.al.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.