Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott vs Starwood?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2009, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Marriott vs Starwood?

First - did a search and did not find what I wanted.

The timing may be good for me to leave Starwood and take-up with Marriott. I can give Marriott 30 stay per year and about 70 nights. Most of my travel is in the USA - some Asia. Hilton will always get my business as a Diamond each year. However, I have enough stays to still give Marriott the above numbers. I know very little about Marriott other than they have the most properties - which works well for me.

What should I expect going from SPG Plat to Marriott Gold?
What is the best way segway to Marriott Gold - I can begin staying in October of this year?
Any general comments?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Originally Posted by MIKEM
First - did a search and did not find what I wanted.

The timing may be good for me to leave Starwood and take-up with Marriott. I can give Marriott 30 stay per year and about 70 nights. Most of my travel is in the USA - some Asia. Hilton will always get my business as a Diamond each year. However, I have enough stays to still give Marriott the above numbers. I know very little about Marriott other than they have the most properties - which works well for me.

What should I expect going from SPG Plat to Marriott Gold?
What is the best way segway to Marriott Gold - I can begin staying in October of this year?
Any general comments?
You can build status on a rolling calendar year, so you can start whenever you want. You may be able to get Marriott to give you a challenge as a shortcut to status if you plan to stay alot of nights within a short amount of time, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also, keep in mind that Marriott does not count stays, only nights.

I don't spend too much time at Starwood properties and only have gold, so I can't tell you how the two compare. Generally speaking, I've been treated very well as a Marriott Platinum and previously as Gold.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Funny that this topic came up as I have just matched to Starwood Platinum.
I, too, have been treated very, very well with Marriott but it seems to be a little more work to get marriott plat than at Starwood.
I have 24 nights now with Marriott and will put in the 25 to get my 50K bonus and then 1 more night to get gold and the rest will be starwood.
I find the bonus point opportunities with marriott are much more plentiful and generous than starwood. The only reason I am staying elsewhere is because the majority of my fall travel is in DC/NoVa/MD and the rates are just through the roof with the locations I need to be in. Starwood had much better rates for where I need to be.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I don't expect Marriott will be better than *Wood. At the same time I expect they won't be worse.

I stay about 100 nights per year now - did the calculation today. Times have changed for me proffesionally and personally. Due to a recent experience with *Wood I took a step back and made an evaluation - I do this every September/October anyway. On the pro Marriott side they have properties in ALL the locations I travel in the USA - *Wood does not. On the pro *Wood side it is easier to qualify as Plat.

Over the past eight years on FT I have been convinced *Wood was better. But I think the playng feild is more level now. I could easily give Marriott 50 nights per year and if I was on a "mission" could do 75.

I take this seriously as it has an affect on my life-on-the-road. Just looking to fellow FTers to tell me it will all be fine?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:31 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
I always choose programs based on optimal propertries near my clients. Which is why I now have 865 Hilton lifetime nights and 800 Marriott nights under my belt. Had a one year stint with Hyatt--but they are typically not where I need to be. Had one opportunity with Starwood, but the nearby Renaissance property was vastly superior.

Bottom line--far more Hilton and Marriott family properties make them a better choice if you will likely be in many places....

As an aside--Marriott lifetime elite status is a powerful sweetener (600 nights = lifetime silver, 800 nights = gold, 1,000 nights = platinum). I believe Hyatt still has such a program, too, but don't know the details--was 500,000 points from base spending to achieve lietime Diamond, I believe.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 4:40 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by travelexpert
As an aside--Marriott lifetime elite status is a powerful sweetener (600 nights = lifetime silver, 800 nights = gold, 1,000 nights = platinum).
Just for clarification purposes and skipping Silver:

For LT Gold all of the following conditions must be met:
2 Million total LT accumulated MR points from any source
12 years as an MR member
800 LT nights in Marriott branded hotels

For LT Platinum all of the following conditions must be met:
3 Million total LT accumulated MR points from any source
12 years as an MR member
1000 LT nights in Marriott branded hotels

FWIW, the only thing holding me back from LT Gold and Plat are nights stayed. Depending on your stay pattern, YMMV.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Is there any way to find your lifetime stays/points besides calling marriott?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
No...
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Being Marriott Gold and a Starwood Platinum, I find that the check in rewards at Starwood properties, specifically W's and Westins are much better than at Marriott properties. I always get at least a Junior suite at Westin's and W's or a room on the club level regardless of checking in on weekends or weekdays.

I rarely get an upgrade at Marriott properties besides a better view or concierge level rooms. I do much prefer the concierge lounges at Marriott properties as I do frequent a few great ones (Columbus Marriott, Dearborn Inn). I have found that many Westins that I travel to have dropped their club lounges.

End of the day, Marriott makes me feel at home when I'm away, despite not getting a suite.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by sharkey
Keep meticulous records in Excel.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
MIKEM: pick up the Marriott Visa if you plan to convert: there is a variant of the card that includes 15 EQN per year. Therefore, you only need 60 real nights to hit Plat.

Call 'em...they sometimes are willing to offer up a Challenge. Even if it's a Gold challenge...that's what you're really after.

I'm with Neewbs: Marriott gives me C-level or otherwise desirable room. Suites are rare. I've seen the explanation here that many Marriott properties were designed and built with fewer true suites than some other brands - which partly answers that whole question about why Plats don't get them often. I guess it's a trade-off: more Marriotts than Starwoods have lounges, but there are fewer suites.

For a few years now, I've been giving Marriott most of my paid stays and using HH and SPG Amexes to maintain balances in those programs. I'm starting to change that mix though...I suspect Hilton will be getting a bit more when I move up to Diamond there in 2010. I'm content to drop back to MR Gold knowing that the only thing I'm giving up is a half-bottle of cheap wine and a few bonus points.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 1:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

You can read the Starwood forum take on the topic here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...07-onward.html
Old Sep 8, 2009, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
MIKEM: pick up the Marriott Visa if you plan to convert: there is a variant of the card that includes 15 EQN per year. Therefore, you only need 60 real nights to hit Plat.

Call 'em...they sometimes are willing to offer up a Challenge. Even if it's a Gold challenge...that's what you're really after.

I'm with Neewbs: Marriott gives me C-level or otherwise desirable room. Suites are rare. I've seen the explanation here that many Marriott properties were designed and built with fewer true suites than some other brands - which partly answers that whole question about why Plats don't get them often. I guess it's a trade-off: more Marriotts than Starwoods have lounges, but there are fewer suites.

For a few years now, I've been giving Marriott most of my paid stays and using HH and SPG Amexes to maintain balances in those programs. I'm starting to change that mix though...I suspect Hilton will be getting a bit more when I move up to Diamond there in 2010. I'm content to drop back to MR Gold knowing that the only thing I'm giving up is a half-bottle of cheap wine and a few bonus points.
Thanks to all for the help!

I sent an email to the Marriott Concierge Kate. Can you provide me with the correct phone number to call and tell me which department I will talk to?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
If you are a serious revenue generator (which in your case may mean abandoning Hilton), you may also be able to achieve MR's Platinum Premier (see other threads for details). I don't believe Starwood has an equivalent.

Last edited by travelexpert; Sep 8, 2009 at 8:10 pm
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by sharkey
Yes, you can also email them via the "contact us" link on MR page and they will send it to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.