Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

4 hour layover at Chicago (ORD) ?????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps

I searched FT to no avail. Now I'm hoping my Marriott friends can help.

I'm looking for suggestions for watching college football on a fall Saturday afternoon during a 4 hour layover at Chicago O'Hare. I checked the AA Admirals Club and it's $50 per visitor per day. For that cost I have other options: like a train into the city, or a taxie/train to a sports bar near the airport, or is there a great sports bar within security at ORD?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
I searched FT to no avail.
Really? The Chicago forum wouldn't have helped? click here. Huh.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yes, there are bars with TVs at ORD, but I can't think of one that I'd call a "great sportsbar". Plus, I always find that the bars at ORD are so ridiculously packed that finding a seat *at* the bar, in front of a good TV, is a longshot.

My best luck has been that bar in between the domestic terminals...in the "old looking" part of ORD. If you're flying AA, head towards UA...and vice versa.

Plan B would be the Hilton - I don't know anything about their bar, but the airport is attached to the hotel. (You need to re-clear security upon return, but you can walk there.)

Plan C would potentially be the Chicago Marriott O'Hare - it has a Champions sports bar. But I've seen some hotel sportsbars that look great on the outside and end up being downright dead inside and don't even have DirecTV. Call 'em before you head over to confirm that they are, in fact, a good football-watching place. (Even without a decent satellite/cable package they'll probably have the Illini, Domers, etc. - but a good sportsbar should give you 4 or 5 different games in HD.)

Last edited by pinniped; Aug 14, 2009 at 9:42 am Reason: Deleted part about da Bearsss...realized this is a Saturday layover, not a Sunday
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bitburgr
Really? The Chicago forum wouldn't have helped? click here. Huh.
I did checked with it, as well. Mostly about visiting the city but not too much on 4 hour visits?

So, I posted the same question to them. Now, it's becoming a challenge... thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by Old Hickory; Aug 14, 2009 at 12:06 pm
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
How about Slingbox on your home TV? Just logon wherever you are at ORD and watch on your laptop.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Oh, and just to add, although I think you've ruled it out yourself: I don't think any of the airline lounges would be a good place to watch football, even if you had a free or cheap daypass to get in. You'd be lucky to get one game with sound...
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:38 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I agree w/ pinniped's Plan A, B, C. Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Just down the street from the Marriot Hotel is Hooters. Take the Blue line to the Cumberland stop. Exit by going over the x-way via the pedway. It will exit you into the Marriot Hotel parking lot. Head toward the street (Higgins) and turn right. Walk about 3 blocks crossing Cumberland and heading east. You will then hit Hooters. Total time from O'Hare 20 to 30 minutes, depending on your walking speed. Cost 2.25 for the "L".
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:26 am

Question: would it be faster to take a cab if you're going to do something like Hooters? Would an O'Hare cabbie get p*ssed off at such a lousy fare, or does ORD have a deal that lets cabbies get back in the front of the line if they get a Rosemont fare?

I suspect the OP was thinking hotels because you can always grab the hotel van directly to the property: other than the wait for the next van (which for a major ORD hotel shouldn't be too long), you'd have a nonstop shot to your sportsbar.

You could presumably grab the Marriott van and walk to Hooters, although I'd kind of feel a bit cheesy doing that. I'd have no problems using their van to get to their sportsbar, of course...
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Originally Posted by pinniped
Question: would it be faster to take a cab if you're going to do something like Hooters? Would an O'Hare cabbie get p*ssed off at such a lousy fare, or does ORD have a deal that lets cabbies get back in the front of the line if they get a Rosemont fare?

I suspect the OP was thinking hotels because you can always grab the hotel van directly to the property: other than the wait for the next van (which for a major ORD hotel shouldn't be too long), you'd have a nonstop shot to your sportsbar.

You could presumably grab the Marriott van and walk to Hooters, although I'd kind of feel a bit cheesy doing that. I'd have no problems using their van to get to their sportsbar, of course...
grab the van to, i THINK, it's the O'Scare Garden Hotel (f/k/a Wyndham garden...i think the hooters is there....you COULD get the SHS shuttle too, that's only a short walk to where the hooters is located.)

There really aren't any sidewalks there from the Marriott/L stop to the hooters...(i stayed at the SHS and walked to the L, the grocery store and several other places....be nice!)

but are you allowing time in your 4 hour layover to leave and reclear security...not to mention get back to O'Scare???
Old Aug 17, 2009, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by megtravels
but are you allowing time in your 4 hour layover to leave and reclear security...not to mention get back to O'Scare???
total layover time is 4:35:00 so yes I'll need to allow for all things necessary to make my next flight. I'm hoping to find a bar that has some original Chicago flavor. Is Wrigleyville too far?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.