Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, AZ [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2009, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE

Has anyone stayed here - its a fairly new hotel - Category 5.

Any comments on Club Level Lounge in terms of hours and evening food?

How good is the hotel with Platinum Premiere upgrades to Club Level?

Thanks so much.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 6:51 pm

I would pick Hyatt Scottsdale, or Phoencian before anything in Glendale AZ unless you have a game to go to at Glendale Arena. The entire area is hurting.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 1:20 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
The Renaissance Glendale is a lovely, top-notch Marriott hotel. No need to go 40 miles away to stay at a Hyatt or Starwood.

There is plenty of dining and entertainment at Westgate City Center across the street from the hotel. The Arizona Cardinals and Phoenix Coyotes play at Westgate during their respective seasons.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
I stayed at the Ren Glendale last Christmas when I was a silver so no upgrades, but the hotel is very nice (and only a couple of years old). There had to be less than 30 cars in the parking garage while we were there so the place was fairly empty. I'm hoping to get the same $99 rate for Thanksgiving this year so that I can enjoy the concierge level.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 7:14 am

Programs: AC MM 50K, Marriott LTT
Enjoyed two stays, a year or so ago, at this property. Booked the hotel to be close to the Coyotes arena and walked across the parking lot to the games.

Hotel was super convenient and new. Upgraded both stays to executive level. The lounge was quite decent with the standard hot and cold food items for breakfast and evening treats.

One evening ribs were available.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
We stayed here shortly after it opened. It's a beautiful property, surrounded by parking lots, and near sports areanas and an outdoor mall.

I love the courtyard. The layout is a bit confusing, as the pool and exercise room have an almost hidden entrance near the spa. I don't recall anything remarkable about the C lounge.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
got here today - as a Platinum Premier was upgraded to a beautiful suite.

However no bathrobe and I had to ask for bottle of water ridiculous for a suite at a Category 5 property.

Pool is refreshingly cool for 111 degree day. Hot tub nice and large - good temp.

Indoor lap pool is perfect and very refreshing.

Room service not good and very overpriced.

Will check out evening apps in Club Lounge - more later...
Old Aug 5, 2009, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Evening appetizers were delicious. I must give credit where credit is due.

However, was very disappointed in breakfast in Club Lounge - no fresh orange juice. Only very tacky to-go plastic bottles of Tropicana juices from concentrate. Very Holiday Inn looking breakfast.

When I asked the AGM about it, he told me that properties are now allowed to introduce "cost-cutting measures" from a "list of initiatives".

I told him that (as a Platinum Premier) - this is the first Marriott I have ever seen this in.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Anyone stayed there recently?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: US Airways Gold Preferred, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Gold
Bumping this. Would like to see if anyone has stayed here recently.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Three night stay - meh

Checked in around 2:00pm for a three-night stay and was given a double-double room right next to the elevator. I'm not prone to exaggeration, and I can say this was easily the loudest elevator I've ever heard from inside a hotel. The first I'm I heard it, I assume some construction, and then in just continued each time that bank of elevators moved.

I had asked for a king bed when checking in, and I was told none were available, so I was placed in what has to be one of the 9 worst rooms in the hotel, double-double, next to a bank of elevators with a view of the parking lot (aka "mountain view".

Without unpacking, I called and asked for a different room but was told none were available, although I could see rooms available online. When I pointed that out, I was told that I could call back later to see if housekeeping cleared a room.

Called back 45 minutes later to ask, and still no rooms available. I pointed out that a suite was available online, and I would pay the difference. I was then told that it wasn't really available and just a "mixup with finance and rooms" regarding what is available.

I was told to call back at 4:00pm (official check-in time) to see if anything opened up - not that they would call me, but that I needed to call them.

So, I called at 4:05pm and was put in another double-double room, saying there were no king rooms available.

I've been Platinum for a long, long time, and I don't normally need my butt kissed for being Platinum, but this is easily the least acknowledgement I've received for it.

As far as the hotel is concerned, the rooms are fine, the beds are good, and the lobby is nice. Other than the carpet in the hallways (bad 70s design), the hotel seems new.

The lounge had pretty typical offerings each night, but they tasted better than usual for a domestic lounge.

The hotel is right next door to Westgate entertainment district (bars, restaurants, theater, etc.), the football stadium and hockey arena, and an outlet mall.

Nothing is "posh", but everything is pretty solid...as long as your room is not near the elevators.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If you're still there, you have king bed in your profile/your reservation confirmation & your MR# was in your reservation, invoke the room type guarantee - get the $100 payout.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...mi#gtdroomtype

"When making a reservation, be sure to note both your Marriott Rewards membership number and room/bed preferences. At locations throughout the U.S. and Canada, we’ll always honor your bed type request. Outside U.S. and Canada, smoking/nonsmoking preferences are honored based on availability; exact bed sizes may vary. If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies.

Brand
Guest compensation***
JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotels, Gaylord Hotels, Delta Hotels®
$100 USD
Courtyard, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, participating Protea Hotels®
$50 USD
Fairfield Inn & Suites, TownePlace Suites, Moxy Hotels
$25 USD
***Outside of the U.S. compensation will be paid in the local currency

Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If you're still there, you have king bed in your profile/your reservation confirmation & your MR# was in your reservation, invoke the room type guarantee - get the $100 payout.
Cheers.
I had thought of this, but I when I checked the reservation, it was "king or double beds", and at no point did it specify which one. I thought this odd, but I'm at the Renaissance Minneapolis tonight, and the reservation was the same way, no specification of the beds.

I'm getting better treatment in Minneapolis with an upgrade to a good sized suite.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Has anyone stayed here recently? Have reservations for early March.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I will be checking in next Tuesday and would love to hear any recent experiences, including if their Club lounge is open? What is their treatment of Titanium Elite members? Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.