Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

New way to save money or is the property trying to deprive me of joy?

Old Jun 9, 09, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold

Hey all

I am staying at the Marriott Charlotte City Center for over a week. I noticed they were not restocking the toiletries each day. SO I decided to hide the 'used' stuff and.... I got new ones. I always thought it was silly to restock when you know I am staying. But I love the extra to take home (have not bought soap and lotion in years).

Anyone else seeing this? Or just here? Or do they just know me that well (yes have stayed here before) and they are playing with me?
Old Jun 9, 09, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Depends on hotel management, I've experienced it in other chains.
Old Jun 9, 09, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by FLgrr View Post
Hey all

I am staying at the Marriott Charlotte City Center for over a week.
That would be "hey y'all" here in Charlotte

Welcome to our queen city enjoy it.
Old Jun 9, 09, 6:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
When I stayed at the Marriott Resort in Las Vegas last July, they didn't even restock anything after I hid them! Not that big of a deal for me.... Not a cent of tips from me.

Later when I was asked for my feedback by the vacation club and casually brought this up, the vacation club took it seriously and made the hotel manager email me asking for details. After my response, I have never heard from them again! Not that big of a deal again for me, but that just discounts how I look at Marriott.
Old Jun 9, 09, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
I have experienced this about half the time lately when I'm staying more than one night. I take all the soaps/shampoos/creams and toss them in my suitcase each night, and then bring them to a homeless shelter or the local Ronald McDonald House a couple times a year. Lately, not all the hotels restock each night.
Old Jun 9, 09, 9:09 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Ditto to the above for me. Some hotels just don't restock anymore.
Old Jun 10, 09, 8:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
IME, most properties routinely re-stock. I always thought this is sort of silly if there's plenty of product left in the bottle, etc. No big deal to me UNLESS they don't restock when originally furnished supplies are used up. Then I'd start wondering "what's next, no re-stocking the toilet paper?"
Old Jun 11, 09, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cyberdad View Post
IME, most properties routinely re-stock. I always thought this is sort of silly if there's plenty of product left in the bottle, etc. No big deal to me UNLESS they don't restock when originally furnished supplies are used up. Then I'd start wondering "what's next, no re-stocking the toilet paper?"
Funny you mention the TP. After typing this, I ran out of TP and there was not another roll in the room. Luckily I ran out at the end of the need for it.
Old Jun 11, 09, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
For quite a while now I've found this one of the annoyingly random aspects of staying at many Marriott properties. Different maids, different days, different individual restocking "policy". Or was it just that the weather changed?

Just another of the brand consistency issues that Marriott needs to nail down.
Old Jun 13, 09, 12:03 pm

Do you leave a tip for the maid?

Not that this is necessarily connected, but it might improve the chances of the restocking.
Old Jun 13, 09, 2:51 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
For quite a while now I've found this one of the annoyingly random aspects of staying at many Marriott properties. Different maids, different days, different individual restocking "policy". Or was it just that the weather changed?

Just another of the brand consistency issues that Marriott needs to nail down.
Agree but won't hold my breath - they aren't even consistent within the property from week to week IME regarding restocking, newspapers, lounge offerings, etc.

My latest, a REN I stay at frequently, made a res 2 weeks ago, got a virtual concerige email, I responed asking for a CL level room that never seems to be automatically assigned in the past. Within an hour, a message is on my office phone confirming the request.

This week, same fact pattern, no message. I wonder what Monday will bring?
Old Jun 13, 09, 2:54 pm

Programs: MR Plat, SPG Plat
I, too, tend to stock up on the toiletries and then donate each quarter to the women's shelter or the disability center. Our headquarters even has a "dump box" that they send to the military overseas from time to time. So, it doesn't so much impact me as much but it was a nice easy and free way to help out the local shelters that have taken a hit financially.

I DO wish, though, at lower properties i wouldn't have to go out of my way to ask for conditioner or lotion. That - plus soap and shampoo - would be my idea of the very basic standard. I tend to always notice when i'm hopping in the shower and in my pj's I don't want to run down to the front desk to get the basics.
Old Jun 13, 09, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It could be worse.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: