Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Phantom "Buy Back Your Status" Offer?

Old Feb 9, 2010, 2:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold

Yesterday, when I logged into my account, there was a message that seemed to indicate I was being offered the opportunity to buy back my Gold status at a reduced price in terms of points. However, when I clicked on the offer, I got an error message. Later yesterday, the offer disappeared from my account page.

Has anyone else got an offer like this (real or phantom) and do you think there's a chance I could follow up the phantom offer and persuade Marriott to let me buy back my Gold status?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA, MR, HH, SPG
I noticed too..

Same thing happened to me. I was wondering how much they valued buying up to Plat. status.

Strange.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Some years ago I received such an offer in the mail--I believe they were asking for 50,000 points.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Some years ago I received such an offer in the mail--I believe they were asking for 50,000 points.
That's a joke right? Maybe if you were within like 15 nights of making it, but if you're 30 nights out and they offer to let you buy it back for 50K points then that is ludicrous.

I guess you could have the other side, like I do this year, where you're 1,500 miles away from platinum on AA and they want $600 for it. I won't be paying that by the way...
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ttusqrl
That's a joke right? Maybe if you were within like 15 nights of making it, but if you're 30 nights out and they offer to let you buy it back for 50K points then that is ludicrous...
I cannot remember how far off I was.

In fact--received the offer twice (different years).

Once I went for it. The second time I did not since did not anticipate many Marriott stays that year.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
I got the Phantom offer too, but my account was supposed to be just one night short to maintain Gold and I was already "comped" to keep my Gold status until 2011. I also got the error message but then later on yesterday this phantom offer disappeared.

I immediately logged on my husband's account, who is also Gold until end of this month, and he only had 3 nights paid stay last year. He did not get the Phantom offer when mine was still "alive". So it appears that this offer was only good if the account is within a small amount of nights stay to maintain Gold.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 3:19 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I called and bought back Gold yesterday for 25k points. The agent said any Gold can do it through March.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kevino
I called and bought back Gold yesterday for 25k points. The agent said any Gold can do it through March.
Thanks, Kevino, I may just do this -- I have an eight night stay at the Berlin Marriott and I have heard that the lounge is worthwhile.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Feb 10, 2010 at 6:39 am
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:30 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Hello everyone, sorry about the online "phantoms".

The Buyback offer has indeed returned for 2010. We had a small systems glitch and had to take the info down in order to apply the fix, but it will be back up this evening (or tomorrow -- still working through snow-closure issues at HQ). The promotion runs until April 1 so you'll have plenty of time to take advantage of the offer.

Alexander
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by kevino
I had the same problem with the website, so I called MR customer service. I took the same offer for 25k points, which is valid through March 31st. I was also offered a "taste of elite" option where I could stay 12 nights at any Marriott property in the next three months and also retain Gold status. Since most of my travel is after May, I opted to use the points, but if you're traveling frequently in the next three months, this might be an attractive option.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Majuki
I had the same problem with the website, so I called MR customer service. I took the same offer for 25k points, which is valid through March 31st. I was also offered a "taste of elite" option where I could stay 12 nights at any Marriott property in the next three months and also retain Gold status. Since most of my travel is after May, I opted to use the points, but if you're traveling frequently in the next three months, this might be an attractive option.
Many thanks, this is good information and welcome to FT!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, ProrityClub
buy back status

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
Yesterday, when I logged into my account, there was a message that seemed to indicate I was being offered the opportunity to buy back my Gold status at a reduced price in terms of points. However, when I clicked on the offer, I got an error message. Later yesterday, the offer disappeared from my account page.

Has anyone else got an offer like this (real or phantom) and do you think there's a chance I could follow up the phantom offer and persuade Marriott to let me buy back my Gold status?
I had the same thing yesterday on my account. Wanted to check this am
to find out details, but it disappeared.
Anybody any update about this ?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:30 am
Suspended

It appeared on mine as MC said it would. I found the link and e-mailed them that I wanted to do this and the next day I received an e-mail that it was all done -- acitivity on my account identifies the points taken.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA, MR, HH, SPG
It has returned...

As Marriott Concierge has stated, the buyback option has indeed returned, and it is now clearly stated that you can execute the buyback through April 1 2010.

After logging my account shows the following message:
Keep Platinum - buy back your status for reduced points until April 1. Click here.
Which will take you here:

Reinstate Your Level

As one of our valued Elite members, we understand that your travel needs vary from year to year and that occasionally you might not have the required number of stays to maintain your Elite status. But we know how important Marriott Rewards benefits are to you - so we are offering you a limited-time opportunity to buy back your status for 2010 using points that you may already have.

Here's all it takes to reinstate your level:

Points required to buy back Platinum status - 40,000 (a savings of 20,000 points)
Points required to buy back Gold status - 25,000 (a savings of 15,000 points)
Points required to buy back Silver status - 7,500 (a savings of 12,500 points)

Remember, if you don't have enough points in your account, you can always
buy up to 50,000 points every year.

This offer is valid through April 1, 2010 and allows only one level of buyback, which must match the Elite level you enjoyed in 2009.

Once your status has been reinstated, Marriott Rewards will send you a new valid membership card for your restored Elite level.

I really have to question weather or not elite status is worth the buyback. Marriott will gladly sell you 40,000 points at a cost of $500.

A member may purchase or receive as a gift a combined maximum of 50,000 points per calendar year.
Points may be purchased in increments of 1,000
Purchase rate is 12.50 (USD) per 1,000 points
Points may take 24-48 hours to post to your account

Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Hello everyone, sorry about the online "phantoms".

The Buyback offer has indeed returned for 2010. We had a small systems glitch and had to take the info down in order to apply the fix, but it will be back up this evening (or tomorrow -- still working through snow-closure issues at HQ). The promotion runs until April 1 so you'll have plenty of time to take advantage of the offer.

Alexander
Old Feb 16, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, A+Elite, Marriott Gold
How to Do It: Two Ways to Buy Back Your Elite Status

1. Simply call Guest Services at 1-800-399-4229 (toll-free in the U.S. and Canada),
or
2. Email us at Marriott Rewards with your information.
* If emailing us, include your name and Rewards number, then copy (or cut-and-paste) one of the three options below:
* Switch my Elite status from Gold to Platinum status for 40,000 points
or
* Switch my Elite status from Silver to Gold status for 25,000 points
or
* Switch my Elite status from Basic to Silver status for 7,500 points
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

???? Dies this mean I can upgrade from Gold to Plat for 40,000 points??

Info was taken from this page

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.