Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newspaper Delivery Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
First of all, Marriott hasn't officially pulled all newspapers out of all hotels, it's just stopped having the requirement to have them, and thus left it up to each hotel.

Second, I don't think airline lounges and hotels are comparable on this. Newspapers in airline lounges are often taken onto the plane, and read during take-off/climbing, when onboard WiFi is not available and thus there's no other way to read a newspaper other than a physical copy (unless you managed to get the whole newspaper downloaded onto your laptop or mobile device beforehand, not just one or two articles, but AFAIK that's not possible with most online). But hotels don't have the same issue that people can't access WiFi.
If you've been reading the thread, you know that it's sounding like more and more Marriott properties are dropping print newspapers.
As to wifi, while it's true, as you mention, that one can carry a paper paper onto the plane for when there's no wifi, it's also true that one can read a paper paper in your hotel room, when you don't have a computer or smart phone. That's right; hard as it is to believe, some folks don't carry a laptop, smartphone, or tablet with them. Folks who don't read print newspapers, apparently don't want anybody else reading them either (or at least Marriott providing them to customers who want to read them). Who's ready to join the battle against breakfast and upgrades?
joshua362 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
First of all, Marriott hasn't officially pulled all newspapers out of all hotels, it's just stopped having the requirement to have them, and thus left it up to each hotel.

Second, I don't think airline lounges and hotels are comparable on this. Newspapers in airline lounges are often taken onto the plane, and read during take-off/climbing, when onboard WiFi is not available and thus there's no other way to read a newspaper other than a physical copy (unless you managed to get the whole newspaper downloaded onto your laptop or mobile device beforehand, not just one or two articles, but AFAIK that's not possible with most online). But hotels don't have the same issue that people can't access WiFi.
I think full-service hotels are still required to have newspapers, but only in public spaces like the lobby.

Regardless, hotels can easily recoup the cost of the newspapers by adding 50 cents or whatever the discounted rate for bulk sales happens to be to the rate guests pay. For example, this is one of the amenities that a resort fee at resorts should cover.

While newspapers are complimentary at many British hotels, regardless of brand or star rating, other hotels will order any newspaper you want the night before from the local distributor (Brits call them "news agents") and then charge you for it.

I've had other hotels, like in Lisbon, Portugal, send the bellman out and buy me a weekend edition of the Financial Times on a Saturday morning.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by ohmark
If you've been reading the thread, you know that it's sounding like more and more Marriott properties are dropping print newspapers.
As to wifi, while it's true, as you mention, that one can carry a paper paper onto the plane for when there's no wifi, it's also true that one can read a paper paper in your hotel room, when you don't have a computer or smart phone. That's right; hard as it is to believe, some folks don't carry a laptop, smartphone, or tablet with them. Folks who don't read print newspapers, apparently don't want anybody else reading them either (or at least Marriott providing them to customers who want to read them). Who's ready to join the battle against breakfast and upgrades?
I read a print newspaper, but only if I have it first thing in the morning. After 8 a.m., I have no time to read it. That's why I prefer delivery.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
some folks don't carry a laptop, smartphone, or tablet with them.
... and it seems that particular demographic is still in the "newspaper" mindset. I say give it a few years (then these folks will get their brief mention in the paper, bringing it full circle) and then nobody else will care.
Folks who don't read print newspapers, apparently don't want anybody else reading them either
I couldn't care less, but I don't want to have to pay even one red cent for something I haven't picked up in two decades and is obsolete the millisecond it comes off the press.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Delta now tells customers that it's heard their complaints
The cynic in me bets the complaints are actually coming from the newspaper publishers doing their best to hang onto one of the few guaranteed sources of revenue they have left in an age of dying print.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
The cynic in me bets the complaints are actually coming from the newspaper publishers doing their best to hang onto one of the few guaranteed sources of revenue they have left in an age of dying print.
Print, be it newspapers, magazines or books, is not dying. Yes, there's less of it, but many of those that remain are doing quite well.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
What's the etiquette if the property you are staying at has just one or 2 copies of a few major papers each displayed on racks in the lobby and/or lounge? Is one expected to return the paper to said rack when they are done with it or is acceptable to take it back to your room or out with you for the day? I like to read the paper copy every once in a while but I'm not going to sit in the lobby to do so.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Print, be it newspapers, magazines or books, is not dying. Yes, there's less of it, but many of those that remain are doing quite well.
The CEO of the New York Times disagreed recently. After announcing quarterly results, which showed abysmal print numbers, he said his company is making plans for moving forward when "print is over" which he predicted might be in under ten years. Newsweek will likely finish its complete collapse by week's end, although it is no longer printed. Rolling Stone was just sold for what was reported to be a bargain basement price. Textbooks, long a source of print profit, are moving online. Which are the companies that are doing quite well?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CJKatl
The CEO of the New York Times disagreed recently. After announcing quarterly results, which showed abysmal print numbers, he said his company is making plans for moving forward when "print is over" which he predicted might be in under ten years. Newsweek will likely finish its complete collapse by week's end, although it is no longer printed. Rolling Stone was just sold for what was reported to be a bargain basement price. Textbooks, long a source of print profit, are moving online. Which are the companies that are doing quite well?
Print media that delivers content readers want -- content they can't get elsewhere -- isn't dead.

Newspapers: https://www.cjr.org/special_report/p...g_comeback.php

Advertising: Print Isn?t Dead! These 7 Great Ads Showed the Medium at Its Best in 2017 ? Adweek

Books: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.96b7e0b61382
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Marko123
What's the etiquette if the property you are staying at has just one or 2 copies of a few major papers each displayed on racks in the lobby and/or lounge? Is one expected to return the paper to said rack when they are done with it or is acceptable to take it back to your room or out with you for the day? I like to read the paper copy every once in a while but I'm not going to sit in the lobby to do so.
If the papers are on a rack and there are only one or two copies, I would think they are for lobby reading only. After 6 pm, all bets are off. YMMV.
Marko123 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Print media that delivers content readers want -- content they can't get elsewhere -- isn't dead.

Newspapers: https://www.cjr.org/special_report/p...g_comeback.php

Advertising: Print Isn?t Dead! These 7 Great Ads Showed the Medium at Its Best in 2017 ? Adweek

Books: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.96b7e0b61382
The first link is only comparing ink to online newspapers. The problem is, many people get whatever news they do get from from social media. A more realistic comparison is circulation per 100k population now vs 10, 20, 30 years ago.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by TSparky
The first link is only comparing ink to online newspapers. The problem is, many people get whatever news they do get from from social media. A more realistic comparison is circulation per 100k population now vs 10, 20, 30 years ago.
The second link just says there are some print ads which are interesting. The third is a link about niche books but points out textbooks are huge sellers. As textbooks continue to move online, this will continue to decrease. Unfortunately, a friend of mine will likely lose what he thought would be a comfortable retirement because of the death of print...

OT: The company mentioned has print facilities in southern central PA in northwest MD, which are near to each other. There is another town in central PA which used to be known as the only town with two paper mills, Roaring Springs PA. One of them, which was owned by Appvion, may have just been rescued from bankruptcy. the company has other operations throughout the country. It was employee owned but now the employees have nothing. As print disappears, paper mills become obsolete and close.

OT OT: For those unaware, paper mills create a stink which carries for miles. Residents become nose blind. As a kid, when we would drive through the town, which we did frequently as it was on the way to the airport and all points south, like DC where my mom's sisters lived, my parents would give each kid a piece or Trident, which we would unwrap, stick under our noses and breathe through until we were out of the town, at which point we could chew the gum.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:15 am
Suspended

I logged into the Marriott U.K. website today, as it works better than the U.S. website. I noticed the newspaper options have changed, yet again.

I always had the newspaper request in my Marriott profile. Now, my Marriott profile was set to "no delivery." I changed it back to The Wall Street Journal. The other two options were USA Today and a "local paper."

Interestingly, it included verbiage clarifying exemptions to the newspaper amenity. I had never seen that before. Hopefully, this image works:

Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I logged into the Marriott U.K. website today, as it works better than the U.S. website. I noticed the newspaper options have changed, yet again.

I always had the newspaper request in my Marriott profile. Now, my Marriott profile was set to "no delivery." I changed it back to The Wall Street Journal. The other two options were USA Today and a "local paper."

Interestingly, it included verbiage clarifying exemptions to the newspaper amenity. I had never seen that before. Hopefully, this image works:

I checked my profile on both the US and UK sites, but I didn't see the above option. How did you access it?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dayone
I checked my profile on both the US and UK sites, but I didn't see the above option. How did you access it?
On Marriott's U.K. website:

1. Click "My Account" drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner.
2. Click "Account Overview"
3. Click "Profile"
4. Scroll down.
5. Under "Personalize Your Stay" click "Edit"

It also gives me the option to select a refrigerator. I've never seen that option before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.