Newspaper Delivery Changes

Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by scottmlew
At a Renaissance this week, at check-in I asked to have USA Today and WSJ delivered each morning. I didn't get any papers the next morning. I went to front desk and got the papers and reiterated the request, which they said they'd take care of. The next morning I got only WSJ. Again went to front desk, reiterated the request, and was told it would be taken care of (many apologies offered, etc.) Third morning I got no papers. Annoyed, I again went to the desk and was told that it is no longer part of the Marriott "brand standard" to deliver papers as of Aug 1. I mentioned that I had heard rumors of that and that I understood that the hotel no longer needs to offer that service. I also indicated that the previous 3 people I spoke with shouldn't have accepted my request and told me they'd take care of it!

So, at least some properties are no longer offering the service.
Were there sufficient numbers of newspapers in the lobby?

Just because delivery isn't required doesn't mean they shouldn't do it if a guest asks. That would be like refusing to bring extra toiletries.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Were there sufficient numbers of newspapers in the lobby?
I don't know, because they were underneath the front desk (so I couldn't see the stacks).

I should also point out that there were no papers in the concierge lounge either -- and this hotel used to have them there.

Just because delivery isn't required doesn't mean they shouldn't do it if a guest asks. That would be like refusing to bring extra toiletries.
I agree 100%. And I still assert that having someone deliver them would require only minimal labor, and certainly no additional staffing.

Last edited by ikwia; Aug 13, 2017 at 10:59 am
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Exactly...the Renaissance Charlotte Suites (which I continue to feel is one of the best Marriott properties all around, and especially for its treatment of PP (and perhaps other elites)) handled the situation perfectly. At checkin, when I asked to have the papers delivered in the morning, I was politely informed that as of Aug 1 that was no longer standard policy, but that they'd be happy to deliver them for me. And sure enough, they were outside my door in the AM. Kudos!

Last edited by ikwia; Aug 14, 2017 at 11:47 am
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by scottmlew
Exactly...the Renaissance Charlotte Suites (which I continue to feel is one of the best Marriott properties all around...
Agreed. When I've been Plat, PP and again Plat, this hotel has been incredible at every turn. Unfortunately, other Charlotte properties wind up being more convenient, but this hotel is excellent.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Where did the newspapers go??? I am staying at a Fairfield in NJ. They tell me Marriott has stopped papers everywhere. Now you supposedly can see the USAT or WSJ on the Marriott website. But I cannot find it on the website anywhere. And the bummer is they have no papers here at the hotel. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
See the thread re: newspapers. Have PM'd the mod to merge this into that thread.

Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
(Warning- thread drift!)

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Repressed Mormons need an outlet!
Q: How do you stop a Mormon from drinking?
A: Put him in a room with other Mormons

I spent 4 months in SLC at a clients'; I was surprised at how, well, "normal" my experience was vs. the expectations I'd been led to believe. Some of my Temple-going cow-orkers would go for coffee, or drinks after work with me.

That being said, I do remember once going SNA-SLC on the weekend (it must have been a return-from-Disney flight, too- lots of families with LOTS of kids each) and being what seemed the only person on the plane to order a beer
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
1. From my perspective, a newspaper at my door is something I have to bend down to pick and transport to my garbage can or a table near the elevators so that someone with any use for it can have it. No newspaper is a plus for me and I suspect that I'm not nearly alone in that.

2. CNN is the path of least resistance. Most people expect lounge TVs to be set to CNN. I've seen a few lounge TVs on Fox, but I've also seen people complaining about it.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by EricH
1. From my perspective, a newspaper at my door is something I have to bend down to pick and transport to my garbage can or a table near the elevators so that someone with any use for it can have it.
Which is why having the optional delivery made sense.

Originally Posted by EricH
CNN is the path of least resistance. Most people expect lounge TVs to be set to CNN. I've seen a few lounge TVs on Fox, but I've also seen people complaining about it.
Four years ago, I would have agreed with you. CNN has become very political to the point where MSNBC is less sensational now. BBC World News or France 24 are probably the only news-only channels that wouldn't offend a majority of Americans.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:39 am

I wonder what the median age of the "pro-Newspaper" demo in this thread is ...?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I wonder what the median age of the "pro-Newspaper" demo in this thread is ...?
Newspaper readers aren't as old as you might think.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
See the thread re: newspapers. Have PM'd the mod to merge this into that thread.

Cheers.

I can't find a thread like you describe?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by mdchips
I can't find a thread like you describe?
You're reading it. The new thread and posts were merged, as suggested.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Newspaper readers aren't as old as you might think.
20+ here who prefers a physical newspaper. Maybe it's because nearly all my college hw is online now (imagine deriving high level math equations with a program as rudimentary as Microsoft Paint, without the ability to paint), or just simply I spend enough time looking at screens as it is.

I mean both versions of the newspaper ruin your eyes anyway right?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
I mean both versions of the newspaper ruin your eyes anyway right?
Well, what I was really getting at is that the paper is out-of-date the instant it's printed and there's decent tablets that are available for as little as $100-$150 (and that's just in case you don't want to read from the smartphone everyone carries) that will bring you the most up-to-date news from sources around the entire world- so that in 2017, it would just seem to me that the only people who still want a physical newspaper do so only out of "tradition" (a nice way of saying "old").

Last time I bought a newspaper it was to use as packing filler.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.