Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newspaper Delivery Changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
"We want to give guests the choice of whether they want a newspaper or not," says Chairman and CEO J.W. Marriott, Jr. "I visit more than 250 hotels a year, and more often than not, I'm stepping over unclaimed newspapers as I walk down the hallway. This new program is more guest-focused."

Which, of course, proves nothing if Mr. M is walking the halls at 8:30 a.m. before many guests have collected their papers. The only truly accurate way to tell is to survey your housekeeping staff. This is basically a cheap excuse for MR to cut bennies
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I don't mind newspaper not delivered at FS. I rarely read it. However I would like my mouthwash back, please?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Go ahead... take my damn paper. But you'd better leave the polar bear skin rug.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Originally Posted by cheepneezy
I'd suggest the pile at the elevators because if there's a paper next door and I don't have one, I'm taking it.
me too!!!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
"We want to give guests the choice of whether they want a newspaper or not," says Chairman and CEO J.W. Marriott, Jr. "I visit more than 250 hotels a year, and more often than not, I'm stepping over unclaimed newspapers as I walk down the hallway. This new program is more guest-focused."

Which, of course, proves nothing if Mr. M is walking the halls at 8:30 a.m. before many guests have collected their papers. The only truly accurate way to tell is to survey your housekeeping staff. This is basically a cheap excuse for MR to cut bennies
ok really?? many GMs, HSKP mgrs and the like don't walk the properties....and we are supposed to believe the corp suits do??? the regionals, yeah but in my years with Marriott i NEVER saw a corp peep walk every floor [and they weren't there early if they were just popping in!]....(things may have changed in the years since i split!)
Old Apr 14, 2009, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was at the Marriott Marina in SD last week and saw tons of papers still in the hall at noon, including mine. It is wasteful.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat.
Well, I for one enjoy my USA Today every single stay. And believe it or not, it's definitely a factor as I decide where my business goes.

I switched to Marriott last summer from Hilton, and now I'm regretting doing it. I hate switching back so soon, but maybe it's time to go back to Hilton for my 60+ nights per year.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:30 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mort
Well, I for one enjoy my USA Today every single stay. And believe it or not, it's definitely a factor as I decide where my business goes.
Me too. I stayed at the Renaissance in Vienna last month. They have discontinued USA Today claiming they have a problem with delivery Sure... Last year they stopped delivering it to the door and only had a few copies at the Breakfast room.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:43 pm

Thanks for doing this - I'm one of those who does read the newspaper but see many that are just wasted.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:11 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

if there's a paper next door and I don't have one, I'm taking it.
Originally Posted by megtravels
me too!!!
When traveling with your families, I hope that you also use such situations as teachable moments. Self-importance and -entitlement are complex traits and best learned by real-life examples.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:19 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by dayone
When traveling with your families, I hope that you also use such situations as teachable moments. Self-importance and -entitlement are complex traits and best learned by real-life examples.
Please be sure to quote entire posts and not edit off the emoticons which I think expressed the tongue in cheek nature of our posts. I'll worry about the complex traits and examples I teach my family if and when I travel with them.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
This actually seems reasonable to me. One way to differentiate between the FS properties.

Greg
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:04 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Please be sure to quote entire posts and not edit off the emoticons which I think expressed the tongue in cheek nature of our posts.
You post what you wish and I'll quote what I wish.

Oh, and I always delete emoticons.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 4:45 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
What Marriott should said is to help put newspapers out of business and reduce global warming we have decided to reduce the number of papers we give out.

But seriously for me this is no big deal.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Am I the only one who finds this an acceptable cut back.. its really no big deal to me.. as long as I'm able to get a paper in the lounge or lobby I don't care.. its no biggie to actually go update my profile either.. one and done
same here, I don't really care.

The Q is, will we get 75 cent credit automatically when selecting 'no newspaper'?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.