Newspaper Delivery Changes

Old Apr 13, 2009, 5:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by LPCJr
A more reasonable compromise would be to ensure that Elites receive delivery to their room at non-FS properties; have copies in the lobby for other guests.
I agree completely. Elites should always get their paper delivered to their door, regardless of which brand of Marriott property they're staying at.

In the scheme of things this issue wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't for all the other "enhancement" that have come along this year.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:03 pm

I hope they stock enough in the lobby as I do want to have a copy of USAT.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by sangreal
I never pick up the paper left at my door anyway, but two things:
1) I'm certain this option was there when I updated my profile last week?
2) In the last 300+ nights I have spent at Marriott, I've had my Newspaper preference honored maybe 5 times
Oh, but now they are REALY, REALLY going to honor your preferences - they promise.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Is it that hard for Marriott to deliver me a WSJ at all Marriott properties? I read them all the time when I stay at Marriott properties (and at the Hyatt properties that have them).
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
If I remember correctly, we are actually charged ( like 75 cents) for these newspapers in our room rate; with an option to decline it and get 75 cents credit. I have never done this - but if it isnt going to be at my door and they may be out downstairs I think a lot of us might "decline" and that would take more clerical time than just delivering them

Just my 75 cents
Old Apr 13, 2009, 7:06 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Originally Posted by jan_az
If I remember correctly, we are actually charged ( like 75 cents) for these newspapers in our room rate; with an option to decline it and get 75 cents credit. I have never done this - but if it isnt going to be at my door and they may be out downstairs I think a lot of us might "decline" and that would take more clerical time than just delivering them

Just my 75 cents
Funny...I was actually considering doing this very same thing just to prove a point and to make it a hassle for the clerk to have to update my bill by reversing a $0.75 charge. I'm with most of the rest of you here, this is a strange thing to make the call on (and I like the idea of still delivering the paper to the doors of the Elites).
Old Apr 13, 2009, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Am I the only one who finds this an acceptable cut back.. its really no big deal to me.. as long as I'm able to get a paper in the lounge or lobby I don't care.. its no biggie to actually go update my profile either.. one and done
Old Apr 13, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by megtravels
That's ridiculous....can't they put a pile by the elevator on every FLOOR?? at least that way i don't have to get dressed, go ALL THE WAY to the lobby and then BACK up to my room....

Originally Posted by megtravels
Elites should have the paper..EVERY DAY,......outside their doors! Let the non members/non elites haul arse to the lobby!
I'd suggest the pile at the elevators because if there's a paper next door and I don't have one, I'm taking it.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Coming up next....

A new "user fee". 50 cents per flush automatically added to the bill at check out. Those who opt to "hold it" during their stays will not be charged. Elites can continue to use the facilities as in the past at no charge at FS properties.

Of course, at all Marriott brands, there will be facilities available in or near the lobbies for use by all guests and visitors (well...maybe most visitors) at no charge.

There will also be a "stay relieved" package available. For an upfront fee of $9.95 per stay ($12.95 for multiple occupancy), guests will be able to "enjoy" unlimited use of all in-room plumbing and sanitary facilites.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by jan_az

Just my 75 cents
YES I am in!! Talk about adding costs!! Ira how much does it cost each location to check in and check out a guest? If we all want our .75 credit per day after the bill was printed and under our door, how much does that add to the franchisees cost?? Added paper, toner and time! And while we are at it -- I need extra towels too
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
If you read Mr M Blog about companies cancelling their conventions due to TARP and the economy of the USA, one can not believe what Mr M said in the press release that eliminating newspapers to the rooms will save carbon footprints, etc. Mr M, by eliminating newspapers you are helping the cause for these newspaper companies to go out of business or to file Chapter 7 or 11. In all due respect Mr M, how can you say you need the convention business and then turn around and say we don't need newspapers??

Am I missing something here?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:14 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by Big Mo
I get my selected paper (local) maybe 5% of the time. It's probably the least honored item in my profile.
Plus One.
I have ZERO interest in the USAMcNews,and yet that is what I find at my door(when they bother)99% of the time.

Last MR stay-rooms on both sides of me had WSJ and McNews-nothing in front of my door (but I am on this hotels"list" )
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:18 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I really enjoy taking my paper up to the lounge on Saturday AM and reading it while having a nice B'fast before heading out to work/play,,,,,What????Reallly?????Well why did they do that???

Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
As a general rule, when I hear that a program is either (a) being "enhanced" for my "benefit", or (b) becoming more "customer focused", I get ready to.....well I won't say that...instead, I'll say that I get ready for the shaft, and I'm usually not disappointed. And this not only applies to Marriott, but also to some stuff that DL does as well. When will these companies stop using these timeworn phrases when they are about to take away a benefit? Do they think we are stupid and cannot see through the rhetoric/

Having gotten that out of my system, let me say that like many of us here I have spend tens of thousands of dollars with Marriott. We get charged ridiculous internet fees in many properties. We have concierge lounges that are often closed and at many properties don't get comped anything, breakfast or otherwise for our troubles. At many of the CY properties the coffee is removed after breakfast hours. Now there is the newspaper thing, which by itself I could maybe live with, although on the rare occasions when I can sleep late, I have found all WSJs gone from the lobby. Is Marriott in a race to join Motel 6 at the bottom? Seriously, when WILL the coin boxes be installed on the bathroom doors? I am not blind and do understand that economic times have been tough, but if, as a Platinum Premier, I am not treated any differently as someone without status, where is my incentive to continue to stay at Marriotts? This is the ideal thread for Bill, Jr. to read; if he could pull himself away from his backslapping blog. He seems to forget that many people on this board are highly intelligent folks, who control where their lodging (and flying) dollars are spent. And as such, we can influence others as to where their dollars are spent as well. Why are these things so obvious to us and not to him? And Bill, if can you do come out of the cave and read this, this PP, because of his dissatisfaction has only stayed only 7 nights this year and is seriously trying to decide if there will be a night 8.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Deleted. Double post.

Last edited by waltinsocal; Apr 14, 2009 at 11:23 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.