Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Twin Cities Stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Starwood, UA, American

Hello again FT!

I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for places to use an award stay during May in the Twin Cities area.

So, any advice on hotels to seek out, or just as valuable, to avoid?

Thanks!

Dan
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Might want to be more specific as to whether you prefer to be in a particular area. and what activities you are planning, etc.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Good call!

I'll be heading up for just a Friday night stay. The most important thing would probably be the quality of the hotel (and potential for plat upgrades!), good (nice) dinner restaurants in the area, and nightlife, in that order. We are trying to stay in the St. Paul area, or as close to St. Thomas University as possible. Really just looking for the best night stay since most of what I saw was Cat 4 and cost the same amount of points!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dan
Old Feb 3, 2009, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
www.marriott.com/mspcc - has lots of suites so plats are usually upgraded, in the heart of downtown Minnie so great restaurants around and a good nightlife (Minnie's nightlife is much larger than St Paul's) and there's great shopping within steps of the hotel too
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:14 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by socrates
www.marriott.com/mspcc - has lots of suites so plats are usually upgraded, in the heart of downtown Minnie so great restaurants around and a good nightlife (Minnie's nightlife is much larger than St Paul's) and there's great shopping within steps of the hotel too
And some of the suites are 2-story.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Great. Thank you both!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:27 am

My daughters and I stayed at the Mpls downtown Marriott on a Friday a couple of months ago and very much enjoyed our stay. Mr travelbls called the hotel and as a Plat was able to arrange for an upgrade to a two story suite, and it was great. I think this hotel has been renovated fairly recently. I did ask for and received breakfast coupons, and the buffet was excellent. It's in a perfect location for restaurants, shopping and nightlife. We self parked, and the entrance when you do that is a little convoluted.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Agree with all the positive comments. One possible drawback if you're traveling with teenagers or younger kids is the lack of a pool. Otherwise, its a great choice. Lots of shopping/dining/nightlife within walking distance. The two story suites are great for "spreading out" and regular rooms are comfortable and well-appointed as well. (Mrs. Cyberdad and I spent a New Year's eve there once and had a fabulous view of fireworks over the river).
Old Feb 6, 2009, 4:34 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by ohmark
And some of the suites are 2-story.
and you can take the light rail to get to the MOA ....

Bob H
Old Feb 6, 2009, 4:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Another vote for the Marriott City Center. I haven't stayed here since I stopped traveling for work in 2007. At the time, the rooms had been remodeled and they had just started work on the lobby and restaurant. The CL had also been remodeled and as I recall was very nice, but unfortunately that won't be open on the weekend.

The suites really are pretty neat. The building is a triangle, so if you get a suite that happens to be on one of the three corners of the triangle, you'll have huge windows on two walls of the room - great views of the Minneapolis skyline.

Also, as an aside, if you like steak, dinner at Murray's (on 6th behind the hotel) is very very special.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta PE, SPG PE
I agree, it's a great hotel and you simply can't go wrong. It's connected into the skyway system which is pretty cool as well if you've never had the chance to see it.

Originally Posted by LPCJr
Also, as an aside, if you like steak, dinner at Murray's (on 6th behind the hotel) is very very special.
Oh yea, very special indeed. I've found lots of 9's and a few really good 9.5's out there too. But you can only have 1 place that gets the 10 and in my book, it's Murray's.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:36 am

Programs: Hilton-DIA, IHG-Plat Amb, Hyatt-DIA, SPG-Plat & 3 star, Marriott-Gold, Nat'l-Exec, NWA-Sil
ANy rec's closer to the airport? I'll be there wednesday
Old Feb 9, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
The airport has a Marriott (Bloomington); it's an older property, but ok - walking distance to the MOA or free shuttle, too. A short ways away are the road is Courtyard and Residence Inn.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

I've booked the rooms at MCC...Thanks for all of the insight. After hearing about all the good stuff around (in Min? Who knew!) I've booked an additional night.

Thanks all!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:47 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, US Silver
Let us know how your stay goes. I can also echo the wonderful comments about the City Center Marriott. As a Gold, I was upgraded to King Corner Suite and as a platinum, I've been upgraded to the Bi-Level Suites on the top floor. It's a very nice suite/view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.