Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Another Marriott cutback: The Wall Street Journal discontinued?

Another Marriott cutback: The Wall Street Journal discontinued?

Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:07 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

There have been a number of questions, observations, and speculations regarding the delivery of the Wall Street Journal. I will not even pretend to be able to answer all of the questions that have been posted. I would like to tell you what I have learned, which is basically this: There has been a change to the service standard on the concierge floor. The Wall street Journal will not be delivered on weekdays, nor will the local paper be delivered on weekends.

Ira
Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by ohmark
Generally, I think this would it would be counter to what Marriott, and most chains believe is the best way to do business, that is provide a certain uniformity of service at properties, which customers expect.

But, if what you say is accurate, the problem boils down, once again-as in threads as to other downgrades, as to whether the management of a property wants to honestly inform guests of the reasons for a downgrade or prefers to deliberately mislead its customers. If there is a new standard for franchisees which allows, but does not mandate, them to reduce service, then, in my opinion, the right thing to do is simply tell inquiring customers of this. Marriott no longer requires the service, and the hotel has decided to eliminate it. But to tell customers that Marriott now requires hotels to not provide the WSJ delivered to rooms, or Marriott requires all concierge lounges to be closed on weekends, or Marriott requires all hotels not to provide weekend breakfast coupons is dishonest. I think Marriott corporate should tell properties to cut it out.
Mebbe so; but I think this is virtually impossible to deal with on an individual basis - especially when those individuals are hotel service workers bravely trying to maintain hospitality in the face of $8 an hour wages, not knowing when their own job may be cut in the next wave. I think most on this board have no clue how serious times are.

The other reason it's difficult has to do with the sheer number of various standards in the Marriott and other brand universes. Literally hundreds, sometimes thousands, and many are changing. Right now, the main topics at daily standups are no doubt how to do more with less, not a quiz on this week's specific Marriott standard change.

I seriously doubt that any manager out there is convening his staff to say, "Hey, Marriott says don't deliver the WSJ to rooms anymore - if anyone asks, just blame Marriott."

And of course, it's kind of assumed that Marriott can't require franchisees to go to the minimum standards and no further. You can't require a franchisee to discontinue 24 hour room service if that franchisee really wants to do it. Very few will want to do it as they all search for every available penny. This is a tremendously down economy in hotels - I think it's possible at least one major chain will be acquired by another this year, if not disappear.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
Originally Posted by CJKatl
URGH!!!!

Something tells me that we're going to have to start paying for water, juice, and soft drinks at the CL soon. My three favorite perks - newspaper, check writing, and free non-alcoholic drinks in the CL. They've taken away two of them, so I'm braced for the third.
They're getting close. The SHS I frequent stopped giving a small bottle of water in each room.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
The Wall street Journal will not be delivered on weekdays, nor will the local paper be delivered on weekends.
Assuming the WSJ remains available for pickup, that change is not really a problem.

Does the weekend non-delivery of the local paper also imply a standards change that the weekend paper will no longer be a complimentary amenity available for pickup?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Mebbe so; but I think this is virtually impossible to deal with on an individual basis - especially when those individuals are hotel service workers bravely trying to maintain hospitality in the face of $8 an hour wages, not knowing when their own job may be cut in the next wave. I think most on this board have no clue how serious times are.
Your reasoning assumes that lowering service standards will have no appreciable impact on patronage/revenue. Thus, all Marriott has to do is cut out some services and voila, the bottom line looks better because costs are down. Does anybody believe that Marriott provides premium services at fs properties out of kindness? They do it because it has a provable effect on revenue. If revenues are down, how does this help the minimum wage worker keep his job? And then when times are better, and they will be, what have the cuts done to brand differentiation? Once customers are lost they may never return. You can argue that nobody's quitting fs Marriott/Rens over the WSJ. But when some folks consider they no longer get their newspaper of choice, that there are no weekend concierge hours or breakfast coupons, that concierge lounge hours are cut and offerings reduced, that internet is not free, that parking is expensive (in some locations), they will may opt for brands that provide some or all of these things at no cost, and lower rates to boot. Brands that charge a premium for their reputation (as Marriott does) should not forget that a failure to produce a product consistent with that reputation will have adverse bottom line consequences. And that's not good for the minimum wage hotel worker.

One could better argue that this is a time when fs Marriotts and Rens should be providing more, not less.

Last edited by ohmark; Jan 12, 2009 at 6:54 pm
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dayone
Assuming the WSJ remains available for pickup, that change is not really a problem.

Does the weekend non-delivery of the local paper also imply a standards change that the weekend paper will no longer be a complimentary amenity available for pickup?
There has never been a requirement (standard) for weekend delivery of papers (and remember I've been around a long long time)
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by ohmark
Your reasoning assumes that lowering service standards will have no appreciable impact on patronage/revenue. Thus, all Marriott has to do is cut out some services and voila, the bottom line looks better because costs are down. Does anybody believe that Marriott provides premium services at fs properties out of kindness? They do it because it has a provable effect on revenue. If revenues are down, how does this help the minimum wage worker keep his job? And then when times are better, and they will be, what have the cuts done to brand differentiation? Once customers are lost they may never return. You can argue that nobody's quitting fs Marriott/Rens over the WSJ. But when some folks consider they no longer get their newspaper of choice, that there are no weekend concierge hours or breakfast coupons, that concierge lounge hours are cut and offerings reduced, that internet is not free, that parking is expensive (in some locations), they will may opt for brands that provide some or all of these things at no cost, and lower rates to boot. Brands that charge a premium for their reputation (as Marriott does) should not forget that a failure to produce a product consistent with that reputation will have adverse bottom line consequences. And that's not good for the minimum wage hotel worker.

One could better argue that this is a time when fs Marriotts and Rens should be providing more, not less.
By all means, please do. I'll stick with the reality of what is actually happening - not just at Marriott but at every chain. Don't think you can run to a competitor and expect service levels to remain the same or increase this year - they are all in trouble.

OTOH, don't expect Marriott to simply leave the cuts as is when the economy improves. They've restored amenities in the past - the ever-changing size of the soap at a Courtyard is one example I can think of. No doubt when things get better Marriott and the others will get back to the business of trying to out-do each other.

But not this year.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I'll stick with the reality of what is actually happening - not just at Marriott but at every chain. Don't think you can run to a competitor and expect service levels to remain the same or increase this year - they are all in trouble.
Reading through 10 pages of thread titles on the Starwood Board, I found a single thread, on page 4, akin to the numerous threads here about cutbacks. The OP in that thread mentioned that he was told by a staffer at the Starwood WDW Dolphin that the hotel no longer gave out breakfast coupons to plats because SPG told the property THEY MUST discontinue the benefit. Here is an exchange between the OP there and SPG Lurker Sanders:

Originally Posted by leandrorar
I'm not sure if I should tell SPG the name of the employee right away. If this person lied and felt easier to blame SPG, then I don't care. However; if this person was brutally honest and burned SPG with a reason, then I don't want to point him/her.

I think you can still investigate and let us know if SPG really asked the property to stop giving breakfast to Plats. If you find this was an SPG mandate then the employee name is not needed. If you find that they lied you will get a PM with name and checkin date/time.

Regards
LR

Get your keyboard warmed up. The highest levels of the SPG program confirm that no such proclamation went forth, from the brand's corporate office or from SPG corporate.

What they do ask hotels to do if they want to give breakfast coupons in lieu of lounge access/no lounge at all is to tell the guest that it is an individual property decision to do so. It is hoped that if they do this, folks will understand that it is not an SPG-related matter and to not necessarily expect it on stays at other properties who aren't willing to grant these coupons.

My take? I think the associate to whom you spoke was misinformed. By who, I have no idea.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ast-plats.html

Last edited by ohmark; Jan 12, 2009 at 8:31 pm
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I'm close enough to lifetime Plat that I'm not walking away from MR, but I have to say these cuts make me shake my head. I'm in sales and the thought of me doing less for my customers right now . . . well, it just doesn't make sense. I hope these "changes" are short term, but it was enough for me to make 3 SPG reservations tonight.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 5:57 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Additional data point:

1/13/09 CMH Airport Marriott - Received WSJ and USA Today delivered to my door for a room on the CL Level. I did notice they have cut back the size of the free water bottles in the room and in the lounge.

-Jon
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:45 am

Programs: CO Platinum,AA GOLD,HiltonHHonors Diamond,Marriott Ambassador,National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Additional data point:

1/13/09 CMH Airport Marriott - Received WSJ and USA Today delivered to my door for a room on the CL Level. I did notice they have cut back the size of the free water bottles in the room and in the lounge.

-Jon
I received a WSJ and USA Today this morning at the Cincinnati River Front Marriott. I am not on the CL level.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Good to hear there are still some properties continuing this!!!^
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by dayone
If said hidden WSJs had the white "Thanks For Staying Us" label on them, I'm betting that they were provided to the hotel gratis.

Because I'm a curious sort and wanted to add another data point, this morning I walked across the street from the CY to the SHS. It also had a generous stack of WSJs in the newspaper rack in the breakfast lounge.
Not really an additional datapoint as both hotels are probably managed by the same group that has the same policy...
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Overland Park, KS this week, yet another twist.

USA at door, no WSJ (per my profile) at door nor in CL but a stack available (with the thanks for staying with us label) at the elevator.

I welcomed back the CL attendant as they've been closed for the last month and asked about the WSJ. She offered that they've been delivered too late for door delivery since the economy went bad. So they just have a stack for pickup.

Robe, mouthwash, in room bottle of water have not been returned to the CL floor rooms. I doubt they ever will be. So now the only benefit of the C level is a easy walk to the lounge? I do miss the mouthwash and water as I never make it back before it closes.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The past couple days:

Pittsburgh FS Chatham Center No WSJ at door or CL, no robe in closet, no mouthwash.

Altoona CY WSJ free at front desk. (Rooms/lobby recently updated and are very nice, but the property needs new sheets and matresses.)

Austin Airport FS No WSJ at door or CL, robe was in closet, all the bottles including mouthwash in the bathroom. (Rooms appear to be recently updated - job nicely done!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.