Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Another Marriott cutback: The Wall Street Journal discontinued?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Marriott cutback: The Wall Street Journal discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Actually, if the WSJ is in need of keeping their circulation numbers up they might end up counter-proposing a deal to Marriott (and other hotel chains) for a lower price. Possibly even zero. Sometimes circulation matters more than individual paper cost to the big newspapers.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I always assumed that the hotels were getting these papers on the cheap to begin with - precisely for that reason. The papers were allowed to record huge circulation numbers, regardless of whether guests actually picked them up and read them.

Especially true for USA Today, which people don't typically have delivered to their home every day.

On my recent stay at JW Cancun, we still received a paper at our door: a thin "local" version of the Miami Herald, in English. (Presumably a Spanish-speaker at check-in got some different local paper.)

On my recent stay at Renaissance Chancery Court, I received the London Times at the door every day. (Kudos to this hotel for noting in their system on my first stay that I wanted a London paper, not that skinny little USA Today international edition. Now they do not even ask.)
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I will ask my main property to comp me the paper, regardless of this change. I expect them to do it as a top 50 guest (by nights per year) at that property.

After all, the cost to them - even at full price, would be offset by the weekend rates I pay that are at least $20/night over what they get from Priceline. If they don't see the logic at first, I will be happy to remind them.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: MAR Plat
I enjoy both papers and will miss the WSJ. The freebies are always the first things to go when times get tough. I really can't blame Marriott for trying to cut costs. I'm doing the same for my household.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm getting pretty sick of hearing that we're getting things taken away "because of the economy."

We also hear this in the high point in a business cycle: demand is strong, so we don't need these pesky elites, and we're taking things away, increasing costs, etc. At least I somewhat understand that...it's very nearsighted thinking, but it is pretty basic Econ 101. A nonstatus guest in a hotel room is more profitable than an elite guest who not only receives more but is probably paying a lower rate.

Anyway, rant over. I will miss the WSJ: I don't read it every day, but I always took one on the last day of my trip for the flight home.

USA Today = candy...it's satisfying for a few minutes but doesn't really fill a real need.

This is actually a kind of funny pinniped.
Last year about this time the Marriott boosters were all "well hotels are full and business is booming so the don't need to,,, blah didly blah didly blah,,,,"

And now the apologist are trying to excuse away the cuts because of the bad economy.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I asked a person at my main property (The Washington Dulles Marriott Suites) about the changes. She said that Marriott's new policy is to make the Wall Street Journal available in the concierge lounges upon request only. At my main property, they will deliver it to guests who request it and have it at the front desk as well.

I can see why they would not want to have excess copies of the paper because of the extra cost. Marriott better make sure that properties check each guest's newspaper preference and honor verbal/written requests for the Wall Street Journal as well.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by djlandkpl
I enjoy both papers and will miss the WSJ. The freebies are always the first things to go when times get tough. I really can't blame Marriott for trying to cut costs. I'm doing the same for my household.
Exactly.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by djlandkpl
your household doesn't have a choice of where they sleep at night ! you have a monopoly
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
Was in Greenville SC last night and still got both papers at my door - WSJ & USAT
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:26 pm

At the FS in Spartanburg, SC on December 29, I called the front desk @ 6:15 AM, asking why I hadn't received my papers (USA Today & WSJ). Was told that I could get USA Today at the elevator foyer on my floor. Suggested that I wasn't dressed and that as a LT Plat, I was used to having the two delivered to my door. While I was shaving, both were slid under my door.

Heavy handed? Perhaps, but a small price for Marriott to pay to keep me coming back.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
2 weeks ago, at the Ren Stanford Court, I got both USA 2day & WSJ. I requested only the WSJ.
Can't believe that MR is getting this cheap!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:54 pm

If you want the WSJ, you need to make sure it is in your Marriott profile. You should also complain if they fail to honor your request. They need to know that you consider it an important amenity.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
If this is true, this is crap. For me, the WSJ is not an amenity. At a hotel that caters to business travelers, I view the WSJ as something as basic as providing soap and shampoo.

As others have suggested, I honestly can't believe that Marriott is paying all that much to begin with, especially when you consider their volume. What do they have, maybe 500,000 rooms? That number is a guess, but my point is that they buy quite a few copies.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Based on the variation in experiences, I believe we are dealing much more with anecdote than policy.

My data point: a big stack of WSJs by the door at a Dallas Courtyard this morning.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by VA1379
If you want the WSJ, you need to make sure it is in your Marriott profile. You should also complain if they fail to honor your request. They need to know that you consider it an important amenity.
It's in my profile, and I'd still guess that only I get it 50% of the time, and a good 90% of the misses I'll get a copy downstairs. Still, the advice to let them know is good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.