FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Points for Ritz-Carlton stays? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/905123-points-ritz-carlton-stays.html)

sarkel Jan 1, 2009 6:02 pm

Points for Ritz-Carlton stays?

OK, I just recently got a Marriott Rewards Card, and now I will be traveling frequently for business. When I was browsing for hotels for upcoming stays in April and May, I was having a lot of trouble locating Courtyards and such at a government rate. However, what pops up on the Marriott site , but a government rate for Ritz Carlton in my preferred location. Now I made the reservation but I was wondering do I get Marriott Points for this since it was on the Marriott site because I want to have enough nights to get gold/platinum status?

Also, when I went back to book additional dates, this particular Ritz disappeared from the directory.

DillMan Jan 1, 2009 6:04 pm

You don't get anything for RC stays, although there has been discussion that revenue from RCs might be considered if you are going for Plat Premier. Personally I don't think that is true.

AAerSTL Jan 1, 2009 8:22 pm

You'll still get some points if you have the MR Visa...;)

DJ_Iceman Jan 8, 2009 8:16 am

And you can't beat a RC at a gov't rate. Sure beats a Courtyard, even though you're not earning points!

socrates Jan 8, 2009 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 11034773)
And you can't beat a RC at a gov't rate. Sure beats a Courtyard, even though you're not earning points!

very true however if you're in an urban location and have a car the parking charges can be shocking when compared to the per diem (the stories I can tell from my RZ days and government employees and parking rates, unfortunately in the city I was in the going daily parking rates are very high, the RZ's parking was 66% of per diem, MHR & BR were slightly less, RI was about 50%)

NJUPINTHEAIR Jan 8, 2009 5:59 pm

With the downturn of the economy, the new Marriott Rewards Category 8 soon to come into effect, and the fact that Hilton has been converting more and more LXR resorts into Waldorf Astoria points earning HHonors hotels ( See 2 new Key West WA resorts announced today), we will see if this has an effect on the participation of RC in the future. I bet it does.

Some do remember that for a short time -- during another bad economy -- some RCs did give MR points - albeit in a haphazard manner, I believe.

Dan_E Jan 8, 2009 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 10995829)
You'll still get some points if you have the MR Visa...;)

Yeah, but isnt that true if you stay at Motel 6, too?

socrates Jan 9, 2009 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 11038892)
With the downturn of the economy, the new Marriott Rewards Category 8 soon to come into effect, and the fact that Hilton has been converting more and more LXR resorts into Waldorf Astoria points earning HHonors hotels ( See 2 new Key West WA resorts announced today), we will see if this has an effect on the participation of RC in the future. I bet it does.

Some do remember that for a short time -- during another bad economy -- some RCs did give MR points - albeit in a haphazard manner, I believe.

Actually the test which happened in the past had more to do with MI's purchase of the company......I personally agree with the rational behind not offering points for stays

DJ_Iceman Jan 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by socrates (Post 11038691)
very true however if you're in an urban location and have a car the parking charges can be shocking when compared to the per diem (the stories I can tell from my RZ days and government employees and parking rates, unfortunately in the city I was in the going daily parking rates are very high, the RZ's parking was 66% of per diem, MHR & BR were slightly less, RI was about 50%)

Those are some crazy parking rates! I've stayed in downtown locations where parking was tens of dollars a day, but then again rates were hundreds of dollars a day. So I guess I'm used to parking being no more than 10% of the per diem rate for a night of lodging.

In any event, parking is a reimbursable expense (with no limit, unlike per diem for lodging!) so they can make it whatever they want and the government traveler will still make out fine. ;)

socrates Jan 12, 2009 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 11057123)
Those are some crazy parking rates! I've stayed in downtown locations where parking was tens of dollars a day, but then again rates were hundreds of dollars a day. So I guess I'm used to parking being no more than 10% of the per diem rate for a night of lodging.

In any event, parking is a reimbursable expense (with no limit, unlike per diem for lodging!) so they can make it whatever they want and the government traveler will still make out fine. ;)

Trust me...hoteliers are well aware of this, unfortunately many government travs have sticker shock if they aren't use to downtown parking rates at luxury hotels