Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bethesda,MD-Hannover,NJ, EWR Fairfield & Brooklyn Bridge Marriott Overview

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR

Just did a little trip that had me staying in a few different North East locations and thought I'd give a quick overview of the sites for those of you who may be in one of their respective areas.

Bethesda Marriott (Maryland/DC Area)

Not very pleased with the overall experience.

Concierge Lounge wasn't very good at all. Room was very drab and the staff was very unfriendly and unaccomidating. All I wanted was some hot coffee around noon and was told I had to purchase it downstairs at the Starbucks or wait another hour for the attendant to make a pot...she was too busy talking on her cell phone.

Charging $12 per day for parking at this property is a bit much. I drove across the street and parked at the apartment complex for free. I don't mind having to pay for parking but some properties such as this one are just trying to fleece your expense accounts.

Rooms were not at all up to the current Marriott standards. Linens were thin and not very comfortable...no comforter available in the room. TV's are the older standard versions, no flat screen and the channel selection was poor. Bathrooms were also very drab and non inviting. Room was very clean though as was the bathroom.

Bar/Restaurant was very big and nice looking but very overpriced. Beer and Bloody Mary set me back $21.

Front Desk staff was very pleasant and very helpful, however checkout via the front desk manager was a pain as he overcharged my credit card for an extra night's stay. I had to show him twice that he charged me an extra night at checkout. When checking in I was greeted by their platinum express check in staff... two employes at a podium. Very dumb service as all they did was walk me 10 steps to the front desk and passed me over to the front desk clerk...everyone who checked in received the same service so this is a pointless process.

Free shuttle on the half hour to the local Metro stop... nice service, driver was great as well.

All in all, I'd pass on this property. This site screams of Marriott circa 1990 yet the prices scream 2009 downtown DC.

Hannover Marriott (Northern New Jersey)

I grew up in this area and have been to this property many times over the years, so I'm a little biased when it comes to giving it a review.

Front desk staff was super friendly and very helpful. Night Audit team look a little frightening and aren't the most helpful but aside from them, the whole staff gets a thumbs up.

The property offered free parking and a few entrances to get into the building so the site access is great from all sides of the building.

On site Irish Pub is still the same as many years ago but I enjoyed my pint and service. I used to drink here with friends and would still do so if I were still living in the area. Breakfast for non plats is served next door to the pub and I'd pass on it as it's not worth the money and the variety isn't too great.

Rooms are very comfortable and the beds are all up to date with the new mattress and comforters. Bathroom was spacious and clean as well. TV's were a touch old but the clarity was good and the channel selection was very nice as well. Didn't pop open the laptop to see if the connection was free, although I do believe there was a charge.

Conceirge Lounge was actually open on the weekend and had a nice amount of selections for breakfast... also had a nice amount of selections to choose from during off peak hours as well.

This property is fairly old but all in all, it has the charm of an older Marriott with all of the nice perks of a 2009 property. Given it's location to most major highways in Northern NJ, I'd recommend this property to anyone who is staying in North Jersey. ^

Fairfield Inn at Newark International Airport

Oh brother, wished I skipped this property and just stayed at the Hannover site or another one in the general area.

While the room was clean and the bathroom was as well, I couldn't of been more disappointed with this site.

The room was very small and the beds and linens were horrible. Everything screamed of Motel 6 except for the occasional Fairfield logo found throughout the room. Beds were small and very hard, pillows were something that a buddy would give you when crashing on the couch for the night. TV was laughable and the channel selection was rather poor as well.

Free wireless was nice and helped me to forget that there was a crappy tv in the room.

On site parking was free and offered a caged in lot to keep your car safe but my key card and many other guests cards were not activating the gate... it was cold and rainy so that on my patience.

Staff was very polite and friendly but the overall room and hotel setup had me wishing for a chair in terminal C of EWR instead. I give this property a big thumbs down.

Brooklyn Bridge Marriott (Brooklyn/NYC)

Great location if you're looking to stay in the NYC area. The property is near a few different subway lines so getting round the city the from this site at anytime of day is a breeze.

The site is very fresh and very clean and has most ammentities that one would want when staying in the NYC, especially given the rate. I didn't get the platinum experience with this room as I wanted the highest floor available and my schedule didn't allow me to check out the conceirge floor and room.

The bar was super pricey, Bloody Mary and a pint set me back $25 and both were served in very small glasses. The adjacent lounge was clean and comfortable and had an inviting feel to it... it also offers free wi-fi, so I passed on the inroom charge/service and just linked up in the lounge.

Front Desk staff was very friendly and very helpful, always said hello to me, even if they were swamped with arrivals.

Rooms were fantastic and offered every new aspect of the Marriott experience. Flatscreens were a little larger then those who do offer them and they also had a great channel selection, including a nice amount of HD channels. Beds were really comfy and clean and the bathrooms were just as pleasing as well.

No Marriott in NYC is going to be cheap but this hotel surely offers you all of the perks you want when paying the NYC rate. I never stayed here before, however I think this will be my new NYC hotel. The Marriott downtown at the WTC site is wonderful and was my go to hotel in the NYC area but the Brooklyn Bridge is about to be my new home away from home. Give it a go if you haven't been and give it another go if you've been left with a bad taste. ^^^
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:56 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jredknapp11
Hannover Marriott (Northern New Jersey)

I grew up in this area and have been to this property many times over the years, so I'm a little biased when it comes to giving it a review.

Front desk staff was super friendly and very helpful. Night Audit team look a little frightening and aren't the most helpful but aside from them, the whole staff gets a thumbs up.

The property offered free parking and a few entrances to get into the building so the site access is great from all sides of the building.

On site Irish Pub is still the same as many years ago but I enjoyed my pint and service. I used to drink here with friends and would still do so if I were still living in the area. Breakfast for non plats is served next door to the pub and I'd pass on it as it's not worth the money and the variety isn't too great.

Rooms are very comfortable and the beds are all up to date with the new mattress and comforters. Bathroom was spacious and clean as well. TV's were a touch old but the clarity was good and the channel selection was very nice as well. Didn't pop open the laptop to see if the connection was free, although I do believe there was a charge.

Conceirge Lounge was actually open on the weekend and had a nice amount of selections for breakfast... also had a nice amount of selections to choose from during off peak hours as well.

This property is fairly old but all in all, it has the charm of an older Marriott with all of the nice perks of a 2009 property. Given it's location to most major highways in Northern NJ, I'd recommend this property to anyone who is staying in North Jersey. ^
I thought I would add my two cents as I have stayed at that property many times over the last few years and the most recent being three weeks ago. It is a big ol' buisness-class Marriott in a big business area in N. NJ. The overall quality of the property has varied widely over the years, but appears to be on an uptick as of late.

The restaurant is _only_ open for breakfast. For any other meals you will be directed to the Auld Shebeen (sp?) pub. Or room service. Or elsewhere off the property.

With the discussion in another thread about how they are cutting back on CL amenities, I was very pleasantly surprised to find them serving a complete hot breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes and an assortment of cold cut meats). The evening spread was enough to make a light meal of - but you had to get there early because once it was gone, its gone.

Elite upgrades are hit-or-miss ("Sir, 43% of our guests tonight are Platinum...") but this time last year I was given the Morris Suite. ^
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I am not a big fan of the bethesda marriott.

There is however a new Marriott a few miles up that is nicer and has a far better location.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
i wonder if the CL being open on weekends at hanover is new..as last spring it was not..and the breakfast i wound up getting (along with free internet as i basically said i am a PP and you are doing nothing for me) was LOUSY as was the service...BUT the auld shebeen was wonderful...the server even remembered what we drank when we were at the restaurant over a year before!

the newer bethesda marriott up the road charges for parking to IIRC....i never stayed at the OLD bethesda marriott for that reason...it's OLD~

thanks for the report though. we just did a nite at the EWR SHS. I called in a favor from a pal-o-mne at the SHS in Plymouth Meeting for a better rate (F&F) since it was a thrursday and i couldn't find ANYTHING under 150....the hotel was OK....but i don't like the newer generation SHS style...the rooms are smaller, shaped a little funny and have only 1 TV..... BUT at least i wasn't wishing that i was snoozing in the terminal at EWR!
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
Originally Posted by megtravels
i wonder if the CL being open on weekends at hanover is new..as last spring it was not..and the breakfast i wound up getting (along with free internet as i basically said i am a PP and you are doing nothing for me) was LOUSY as was the service...BUT the auld shebeen was wonderful...the server even remembered what we drank when we were at the restaurant over a year before!

the newer bethesda marriott up the road charges for parking to IIRC....i never stayed at the OLD bethesda marriott for that reason...it's OLD~

thanks for the report though. we just did a nite at the EWR SHS. I called in a favor from a pal-o-mne at the SHS in Plymouth Meeting for a better rate (F&F) since it was a thrursday and i couldn't find ANYTHING under 150....the hotel was OK....but i don't like the newer generation SHS style...the rooms are smaller, shaped a little funny and have only 1 TV..... BUT at least i wasn't wishing that i was snoozing in the terminal at EWR!

If you like two tv's in your room and you're staying with SpringHill again... go with two double beds. All SpringHill's provide two tv's in each room when staying in a double room.... including rooms that are upgraded with the flatscreens.

Should of went with the newer Bethesda Marriott but I wanted to be as close to 495 as possible and the old skool one fit the bill. I was seriously disappointed with that Bethesda property. If they didn't go so out of their way to charge the heck out of you for everything I wouldn't of minded some of the negatives I reported on but when you're treated like your staying at level 6 or 7 property, I expect the amenities to match.

Glad to hear you had a great experience at the Irish Pub in Hannover.... great little place, never had a bad time there in all of my years going to it. The hotel is also a nice little place to put your head down for a night or two. You can't win everytime when it comes to front desk staff but the overall hotel experience should be the final push as to wether or not you're at a good property and I've always enjoyed the Hannover property. A great example is comparing the Hannover and Bethesda properties. Both are aging properties but the Hannover seems to know what to do with what they have, where as the Bethesda property doesn't have a clue on how to properly find it's niche'.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Originally Posted by jredknapp11
If you like two tv's in your room and you're staying with SpringHill again... go with two double beds. All SpringHill's provide two tv's in each room when staying in a double room.... including rooms that are upgraded with the flatscreens.

I have...TWICE..once at EWR and once at the SHS by IAD (traveling with mom!) Both were the newer style SHS and BOTH only had one TV! YUCK! ANd the rooms are a funny shape...weird! Give me old school!

Glad to hear you had a great experience at the Irish Pub in Hannover.... great little place, never had a bad time there in all of my years going to it. The hotel is also a nice little place to put your head down for a night or two. You can't win everytime when it comes to front desk staff but the overall hotel experience should be the final push as to wether or not you're at a good property and I've always enjoyed the Hannover property. A great example is comparing the Hannover and Bethesda properties. Both are aging properties but the Hannover seems to know what to do with what they have, where as the Bethesda property doesn't have a clue on how to properly find it's niche'.
The good thing about Hanover is that it's only an hour from home...good place to blow a BOGO and there's a couple decent diners!!! Gotta love Jersey diners....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.