Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2001, 9:01 pm

I stay at the Renaissance NY frequently on business (I'm there at this very moment). The rooms are large and clean, the staff very competent and friendly, and the location on Times Square is great for tourists. Good luck!
Old Feb 5, 2001, 9:42 pm

Originally posted by pitflyer:

Rate we got: $119 for the night (HOL rate)
What is this rate code HOL? I am a Marriott silver, can I use this rate?

Old Feb 6, 2001, 6:13 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, you should be able to use the rate if it is still available!
Old Feb 6, 2001, 7:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Dont overlook the Financial/World Trade Marriotts. Subway and cabs (even walking) pretty accessable to the Village. If you want to get away from the crowded Ren and Marq. then you may want to check out the Eastside Marriott.
Old Feb 6, 2001, 7:16 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I would avoid the Marriott Marquis. It is very nice but the tourists will drive you crazy! It has to be one of the noisiest hotels I have ever stayed in.
Old Feb 6, 2001, 12:12 pm

My daughter, husband and I had the misfortune to say at the East Side over Thanksgiving weekend 2000. We booked a full year in advance and requested a room with 2 dbl beds. When we arrrived we were told "Sorry No rooms with dbl beds available" They gave us $50.00 in food vouchers for our trouble and put a cot in the room for our daughter. The room was so small that the only place to put the cot was blocking the door to the room. If there had been a fire we would have never been able to get out. On Sat at 4 AM we were awakened to the sound of things being thrown in a nearby room and two loud male voices arguing over which one of them was the bigger ...... We called security but it took almost a hour for things to quiet down. THen at 6 AM the fire alarm went off. We ignored that since we really couldn't get out of our room anyway. We went downstairs to have coffee in the lounge in the lobby Sat AM to find every seat in the place taken over by the High School Marching band members who were staying there after the Macy's parade. No they weren't having breakfast they were simply occupying the seats while waiting for their tour bus. We were awakened at 1:30 AM Sunday morning by the noise of several girls laughing and shouting and banging noises in the hall. I crawled over my daughter's cot and opened the door a crack to see four teenage girls pushing a cot up containing another teen ager up and down the corridor banging the cot into walls while screeching and shouting. I threatened to call the front desk and they quieted down. The final straw was Sunday when we returned to our room after breakfast to get our luggage at 11:45 AM only to discover that our keys had been deactivated already (check out was noon). We then had to go back down and stand in line at the front desk to get reactivated. All in all the worst stay I have ever had at a Marriott and I would never go back. We also stayed at the Marquis Jan 1 & 2 1998 and had a great tme. Loved the room, did not find it noisy, my teenager loved the revolving lounge where she could overlook Times Square.
Old Feb 6, 2001, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta, AA
I'vd stayed at the Marriott Marquis five times, and go back only for the location. The bathrooms are standard Marriott with horrible lighting--rooms average size, views range from spectacular to ugh! My next trip I will try the Renaissance down the street--dealing with the elevators in the Marquis when the place is busy is one of life's real torments!
Old Feb 6, 2001, 12:53 pm

Stayed at the Renaissance for $125 a night on Priceline. It is a wonderful hotel, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Incredible location in Times Square. The hotel staff was very attentive. Our room was nicely appointed and was quite large by NY standards - we didn't feel cramped at all. From what I understand, the Marquis has very small rooms.

If price is a factor, you might want to consider Priceline. I have seen them give out some really nice 4* hotels in mid-town, including the Renaissance and Waldorf-Astoria.
Old Mar 16, 2001, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
New JW Marriott in NYC?

According to today's New York Times, the 54-story Rihga Royal Hotel on 54th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues has been sold for $193 million to a company that intends to rebrand it as a JW Marriott. This is a very nice hotel in a great location. Of course, New York already has a very popular and always full JW Marriott hotel in Times Square.

Bruce
Old Mar 16, 2001, 9:08 am
doc

Yes, they have been taking bookings on their Marriott website for this new JW for awhile now - at least a week or two!!
Old Mar 16, 2001, 1:02 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
I haven't seen any special intro rates.
Does that mean it is full?
Old Mar 16, 2001, 1:10 pm
Original Member

I'm pretty sure the Marriott on Times Square is called the "Marriott Marquis". So I don't believe it's branded as a "JW" Marriott. That would make this new property the only JW Marriott in Manhattan.

Now, can anyone help me understand what's so wonderful about the various JW Marriott branded properties? I've not stayed at any of them primarily because I've not had any luck in finding one with a Concierge Lounge. It seems as if a guest is required to pay a whopping rate while foregoing amenities provided at regular Marriott Hotels.

TravelDave
Old Mar 16, 2001, 1:14 pm

Likewise, can anyone give me a comparison/review of the CasaMagna Marriott in Cancun and the new JW Hotel in Cancun, directly next door. Am trying to chose between them for reward travel next year.
Thanks as always!
Old Mar 16, 2001, 4:29 pm
doc

JW's are generally Mariotts' finest!

Nice lounges in DC, KL, BKK and others!
Old Mar 16, 2001, 5:59 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
The JW Cancun is brand new with introductory rates. The Casa Magna next door lowered their rates. I think.

Where are the intro rates for the JW NY?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.