FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Which is more in return? Marriott or Hilton? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/877305-more-return-marriott-hilton.html)

MacDaddie Nov 8, 2008 6:26 am

If your just looking for hotel stays, then I think Hilton gets you free stays quicker, especially if your an elite member earning 20 points per dollar spent.

If your looking at the whole program then I think it depends on what you value. I will comment that two strong points for the Marriott program are being taken away - the decreasing scale for multiple night stays and the travel package (which still exists but many more points required).

The other thing to consider is how well the benefits are delivered. I'm a long time HH diamond member and will remain so, but this year also moved a lot of stays to Marriott and am platinum now. My reason for doing so are several - 1. Haven't seen a promotion from hilton for three years (thats not an exaggeration). 2. Hotels began playing games to avoid "giving" the HH diamond benefits, especially internationally. 3. Service in general was declining year after year - some hotels still top rate, but others approaching mediocrity.

My experience with Marriott is that the Marriott and Renaissance brands seem more consistent. I still like Hampton much better than Courtyards, and also like HGI. But I've stayed too many times as a Hilton diamond member next to the loud elevator, generator, under/over the restaurant or nightclub, and been told no upgrades available when on the website there were tons available, etc, etc. Supposedly Hilton is trying to fix this but I've personally seem little evidence of real change. And since the point of staying at the hotel is to have an enjoyable experience (at least as much as possible when I travel for business), Marriott is more appealing to me currently.

I really liked the sliding scale for multiple night stays at Marriott. That ends this year. I also liked the travel package receiving a week's hotel and airline miles...will still exist but very inflated next year. So in terms of value perhaps my preferences next year will change....which simply reinforces that you need to decide what you value and then make the best choice. I do think that both programs have positives and that in general I like both programs.

xooz Nov 8, 2008 10:24 am

I did my own analysis a few years ago, and I have stuck with HH, since I am not a heavy traveler and get the majority of my points via credit card. With HH, I have (barely) qualified for Diamond each year on stays (28). I don't see any way I could personally make top tier at Marriott, though SPG is a maybe. As for value, I found that with my credit card spend, it took me a shorter period of time to qualify for a week's stay at a top tier resort with HH than it did with SPG and definitely quicker than marriott.

This year, I have spent considerable time in Marriotts due to change in work projects, but really don't have anything to show for it. I was hoping this thread would show me something to make me rethink my HH choice, but haven't seen it thus far.

Spiffster Nov 8, 2008 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar (Post 10649404)
At cap d'Ail (Monaco), they volunteered that, "...since we don't have a Concierge Lounge, feel free to use the mini-bar to your heart's content." And we did. And when we ran out, my daughter called down and it was re-stocked.

And at the Rennaissance Vendome in Paris, we were offered the deluxe breakfast everyday (even on the weekends) since they don't have a lounge either. I asked about dinner and got dinner comped the few nights we were around in the evening (used just for dessert really :-).

Kind of made up for the fact that even when using points, you have to pay $$$ to stay there. I wonder if that's still the case now that' it's a Cat8?

ATCO 2 Nov 10, 2008 6:43 pm

In my experience lots of Marriott lounges only offer soft drinks on a complimentary basis whereas all but one Hilton I have stayed in provide alcoholic drinks(for part of the evening at least). I am treating my brother to a trip to London for the England v Aus rugby on Saturday and it is reassuring that Hilton will pick up some of our drinks bill!