Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can my Personal Profile settings actually 'hurt' me?

Old Sep 8, 08, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Prem, Marriott Platinum Premier, Avis First

For example - in my settings, i prefer to be in a two-bed room and near the elevator on the top floor.

I just was chatting with a manager at the marriott here in CT and in small talk, i mumbled that i hear these other road warriors get suites occassionally upon check-in. And i was curious as to what that took to get an upgrade.

She mentioned "oh, well actually, i just realized that you prefer the two beds and being near an elevator >> so we prefer to keep those desires met, so we target your needs. The suites often are king rooms and they're on the other side of the building".

I'm curious ... can my profile actually be "hurting" me; should i ever get lucky enough to see a suite upgrade!

(these are marriott hotels ... nothing resorty, so it's not like i care about the upgrade. However, if you think the profile can impact your resort stays as well >> that might be a bigger question for me!)

Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 08, 2:17 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Yes, yes and yes. I had a similar conversation with a REN Tampa Manager.

Extra towels, pillows, bed type, floors, room refrigerator, exercise equipment, etc will definitely override your chances of being upgraded since they will select and stock your pre-selected normal room accordingly.

I was told to leave it blank and when they see your PLT reservation, they'll "automatically" give you a King on the CL, if possible.

Don't know if it works accordingly everywhere. Love to hear other tricks and hints into getting "special rooms".

BTW, I think aiming for a Suite is way too high. But most hotels have special rooms called "Executive Rooms" or "Corner Kings" that are larger and usually contain a refrigerator. I think the trick is to find out what they are called at each property and request them by name.
Old Sep 8, 08, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Prem, Marriott Platinum Premier, Avis First
So what do you in the case of a resort vs. typical business weeks?

Have it in your profile that you want 'near an elevator' until you book the vacation - then take it off?

Or do you just keep it off all the time and add it in the 45 character comments portion of the biz reservation?

This is a great tip. who knew all the 'corner rooms' i was missing! ha.
Old Sep 8, 08, 3:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (former PP), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Most suites/large corner rooms are not near the elevators. In my profile, I have a preference away from an elevator. I never realized the implication for upgrades, but it is true that larger rooms seem to be further down a hallway. You seldom see a corner room close to the elevator.

My refrigerator preference has never hurt me with regards to upgrades. However, I usually stay at properties that either have refrigerators in all rooms (Renaissance LAX & LAS, Marriott Suites in Herndon, Seattle Waterfront Marriott) or hotels where they will easily bring a refrigerator to my room.
Old Sep 9, 08, 10:59 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
The single most helpful thing of getting upgrades are short stays. You're more likely to get a suite on a 1 day stay than on a 7 day stay.
Old Sep 9, 08, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
I guess you need to decide which is more important: getting an upgrade or getting specific things that will make you more comfortable.

Personally, I think it would hurt more not to get the preferences. I prefer King rooms away from the elevator on high floors. (I wish "away from the ice maker would be an option. Nothing's worse than being at the room across from the darn thing when some jerk decides 3:30 am is the right time to fill the ice bucket.) I'd rather get that than a room in the CL level next to the elevator, even if it is a bigger or nicer room. I'd rather live without a bathrobe for a night than put up with the noise!
Old Sep 9, 08, 11:32 pm

Programs: CO Platinum; Delta Gold; Marriott Platinum; Avis First
Wow... Lots of good advice in this section.. Thanks
Old Sep 10, 08, 3:26 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Marriott Platinum Premier; HH Diamond; Hertz President's Circle; Avis PS; AMEX Plat
I just checked my Personal Profile after reading this thread and found that everything had defaulted to "no preference." I'm glad I looked.
Old Sep 10, 08, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
Yes, yes and yes. I had a similar conversation with a REN Tampa Manager.

Extra towels, pillows, bed type, floors, room refrigerator, exercise equipment, etc will definitely override your chances of being upgraded since they will select and stock your pre-selected normal room accordingly.
I can't imagine that the towels or pillows request factor in much It's not like they have certain designated "extra towel rooms" is it?

...I can see the bed types and room locations as playing a role, though. But if you've said "away from elevators" and "king bed" - seems like that is in line with any upgrade room, so it shouldn't hurt.
Old Sep 10, 08, 10:12 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by rmagritte View Post
I can't imagine that the towels or pillows request factor in much It's not like they have certain designated "extra towel rooms" is it?

...I can see the bed types and room locations as playing a role, though. But if you've said "away from elevators" and "king bed" - seems like that is in line with any upgrade room, so it shouldn't hurt.
The point I failed to express properly was that in my experience any requested upgrades to the CL level (or better) are rarely prearranged in advance and I always find myself negotiating with the front desk at check in. I feel they are less likely to move you if a room with your "special requests" ala towels in ready and waiting for you. As the REN Manager told me, you can always request the extra towels (and other items) after check-in and they'll bring them right up.

Room selection and upgrade potential is not doubt is a delicate balance that varies wildly from property to property in how it is doled out. But I think its in Marriott's best interest to take care of its best and loyal guests.

For example, I'm staying at the Boulder Marriott this week. My suite request wasn't honored but I was given a huge "executive" room that is almost the size of one, with small refrigerator. Without the usual begging at check-in.

Suddenly, the crappy TV, bad ESPN reception, poor evening CL offerings, strip mall location and 12 mile one way daily drive to my Conference is glossed over and I really feel like I'm getting value for my PLT status. It also affirms my decision not to stay at the Conference hotel (an Omni) and pay an extra $45 per night to remain Marriott loyal.
Old Sep 10, 08, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (former PP), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Many larger properties will pre-block upgrades the night before an arrival (occasionally two nights) for a gold or platinum member. Basically, if you want to cover all bases for upgrades as a gold or platinum member, you should:

1. Write in the notes section what type of room, you would like to get (for an online reservation). They do read this section, IME.
2. Call Marriott reservations and ask them to put a note in your file requesting an upgrade (tell them if you know what type of room you want). This gets a higher priority than simply writing a note in your own reservation.
3. Ask at check-in if there are alternative rooms for upgrade. This can be quite effective. Personally, I have always been able to get a better upgrade by asking if it was available.

You should look before check in to see if you have been upgraded. All of this sounds like a pain, but you have to consider that room cancellations occur at the last minute. Thus, it may be possible to get a nicer room that was not available the day before arrival.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: